Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay & PackTalk Bold

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2023 | 09:08 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

for some reason I no longer have access to the "old" Cardo Connector set up. I had that at one time and set my Packtalk to radio stations, and some other things....which I cannot recall, but know that I did some updates/changes on this. I cannot find this cardo connector, and not entirely certain how I can make changes now.

Old 04-19-2023 | 09:16 AM
DWKen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Spartanden
for some reason I no longer have access to the "old" Cardo Connector set up. I had that at one time and set my Packtalk to radio stations, and some other things....which I cannot recall, but know that I did some updates/changes on this. I cannot find this cardo connector, and not entirely certain how I can make changes now.
You might check your PackTalk User's Guide (manual). I'm pretty sure you can program FM radio channels without being connected to a computer. I don't use the FM radio feature any more, so my latest experience is years old. But I think the manual tells you how to do it.

Old 04-19-2023 | 10:31 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I understand about the local stations.... have couple on my packtalk now. But we take rides outside of the local radio station areas....just want to be able to tune in to other stations when outside of normal. I do appreciate all your feedback...it's good for me as a refresher!! And I do have the locals tuned in, but want to expand my area more!!!
Got bunch of honey-dos so may not be able to do much with bike today....but you guys have given me good info and refreshed me, so I will put that to use!!!
Thanks!! And I'll let you know what I ended up doing and how things work out. The main thing is to be able to take a ride with new helmet, in-helmet speakers and packtalk and see how they work together!

Old 04-19-2023 | 11:05 AM
DWKen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Spartanden
I understand about the local stations.... have couple on my packtalk now. But we take rides outside of the local radio station areas....just want to be able to tune in to other stations when outside of normal. I do appreciate all your feedback...it's good for me as a refresher!! And I do have the locals tuned in, but want to expand my area more!!!
Got bunch of honey-dos so may not be able to do much with bike today....but you guys have given me good info and refreshed me, so I will put that to use!!!
Thanks!! And I'll let you know what I ended up doing and how things work out. The main thing is to be able to take a ride with new helmet, in-helmet speakers and packtalk and see how they work together!
Well, that's a bunch different from your first post.
You'll probably need to buy a Bluetooth transmitter (they're cheap, look on Amazon), plug it into your BoomBox audio out, and pair/connect to your PackTalk.
The Bluetooth transmitter will turn the BoomBox audio into Bluetooth that you can connect to and hear on your PackTalk. Any audio on your BoomBox will be transmitted via Bluetooth to your PackTalk.

Ken

Old 04-20-2023 | 02:08 PM
Parrothead1809
Tourer

Originally Posted by RiderX
There is a setting in the GTS radio where you can redirect audio to your headset or at least disable it on the bike's speakers. I am not in front of my bike at the moment so I am not sure what it is EXACTLY. I believe it is in the Audio section of settings.
Just making that one change didn’t fix it, so I went though the power-on process you detailed in your first post and Presto! It Worked! Not sure exactly which bit got flipped but it proves one again that your procedure is spot on. Thanks again!!!
-PH

Old 07-29-2023 | 04:27 PM
Parrothead1809
Tourer

Just another datapoint: I just did a firmware upgrade from M21.20.28.00 to M23.22.27.00 and am glad to report no loss of functionality. As a matter of fact, maybe I didn't realize this worked in the past, but holding the Voice Command button now wakes up Siri for a command. Of course "Hey Seri" still works along with all the "Hey Cardo" commands.

It does seem that I have to say "Hey Cardo Music On" and it replies "Music Off" and plays music through my headset. But I think that's a software toggle switch that somehow got messed up. Minor.

PS: I didn't update the maps since I normally use Google Maps. Although it's nice to have a back-up map program handy when I'm camping and "off the grid", $150 for the updates gave me pause.

Last edited by Parrothead1809; 07-29-2023 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2023 | 05:12 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Parrothead1809
Just another datapoint: I just did a firmware upgrade from M21.20.28.00 to M23.22.27.00 and am glad to report no loss of functionality. As a matter of fact, maybe I didn't realize this worked in the past, but holding the Voice Command button now wakes up Siri for a command. Of course "Hey Seri" still works along with all the "Hey Cardo" commands.

It does seem that I have to say "Hey Cardo Music On" and it replies "Music Off" and plays music through my headset. But I think that's a software toggle switch that somehow got messed up. Minor.

PS: I didn't update the maps since I normally use Google Maps. Although it's nice to have a back-up map program handy when I'm camping and "off the grid", $150 for the updates gave me pause.

Firmware updates will not break CarPlay functionality - they never have and never will. The only thing you have to be careful of is when the HD dealership connects your bike to Digital Tech and makes changes. I have heard of cases where a tech makes a change in Digital Tech, and breaks CarPlay. If this happens, you have to take it to an independent shop and have them flash it with the 3rd party equivalent to Digital Tech, the name of that software escapes me at the moment.

Old 07-29-2023 | 05:20 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

Did you know that the command to turn Music on or off is simply "Hey Cardo Music". It's a toggle. I learned this just over the course of our last 5,000 mile motorcycle camping trip from which we returned last Sunday. It's actually in the User's Guide and videos. Prior, we've all been trying to get it to recognize "Music On" or Music Off". Just "Music" and if it's ON, it'll turn off and if OFF it'll turn on. Pretty much total reliability.

The following 2 users liked this post by DWKen:
lefty33 (07-31-2023), TOHOG (07-30-2023)
Old 07-29-2023 | 06:08 PM
Parrothead1809
Tourer

Strange - I see "Hey Cardo Music [On | Off]" in the quick reference. I bet they just rev'ed the firmware at some point... That's the problem with documentation: It's out of date the second it's written !

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2023 | 08:46 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

Strange - I see "Hey Cardo Music [On | Off]" in the quick reference. I bet they just rev'ed the firmware at some point... That's the problem with documentation: It's out of date the second it's written !

Thanks!
yeah, me too.
But I stumbled across the Music Toggle in documentation somewhere while on the trip and found it to be absolutely reliable! It was just as reliable as "Hey Cardo Battery Status" which has always worked almost flawlessly.
The five of us started using the "Music" toggle while riding.

Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by DWKen:
lefty33 (07-31-2023), Parrothead1809 (07-29-2023)

Quick Reply: CarPlay & PackTalk Bold