Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay & PackTalk Bold

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020 | 10:32 AM
DWKen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GOV5
Ken, I understand your frustration, believe me. These "in-order procedures" are so bizarre they scramble the brain. This stuff is WAY too complicated.

You said: "The PackTalk will indeed pair and connect to the WHIM and control the BoomBox. "
Rider X said NOT to pair the PackTalk to the WHIM. His whole procedure was predicated around BYPASSING the WHIM, as if it wasn't even on the bike at all.
All right except that I've given up on PackTalk to WHIM. It won't ever work. I gave up on that a couple of weeks ago and bought a Sena Freewire, thinking that the WHIM is the issue.
Everything worked except the other party being able to hear me during a phone call. I could hear the other party but he couldn't hear me. And I don't know about DMC or Bluetooth. Need two helmets to test that.

Then came my hair-brained idea of two bluetooth units. One being a Harley-branded Sena paired with the Freewire; and the other being the PackTalk. There may be a way to connect the two using Universal Pairing so that only one of the two headsets needs to actually be mounted in the helmet. The other can be stashed somewhere on the bike.

I don't know. What these headset manufacturers need is to either allow user-setting of the priorities OR a separate channel with a lower priority to connect to motorcycles. I think Honda has the same issue.

Ken

Old 05-04-2020 | 12:03 PM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by DWKen
All right except that I've given up on PackTalk to WHIM. It won't ever work. I gave up on that a couple of weeks ago and bought a Sena Freewire, thinking that the WHIM is the issue.
Everything worked except the other party being able to hear me during a phone call. I could hear the other party but he couldn't hear me. And I don't know about DMC or Bluetooth. Need two helmets to test that.

Then came my hair-brained idea of two bluetooth units. One being a Harley-branded Sena paired with the Freewire; and the other being the PackTalk. There may be a way to connect the two using Universal Pairing so that only one of the two headsets needs to actually be mounted in the helmet. The other can be stashed somewhere on the bike.

I don't know. What these headset manufacturers need is to either allow user-setting of the priorities OR a separate channel with a lower priority to connect to motorcycles. I think Honda has the same issue.

Ken
You're right. There really needs to be some commonality/standard nature to these communication devices. Right now there doesn't seem to be. And it's driving some folks nuts. Even to the point where some have just set he units in the storage place in their garage and gone back to the corded connection, which works with full functionality. No pairing, no order of pairing, no losing some functions while retaining others, no charging required, etc.

Right now, I'm staying with corded until some of this stuff gets worked out. Plugging in a cord isn't THAT big a deal with me. I know, I'm old. But in group riding, there still isn't anything that works better than a CB. What MUST be a pain for those that are leading group rides where folks are using wireless headsets, it must be a PAIN waiting for all the riders to pair up again, or pair up to their radios, phone, whatever after a gas stop or lunch. That would drive me crazy.

BTW, your Avatar is WAY COOL!!!!!!!!!!! Do you still have your forum? I use to visit it.

Last edited by GOV5; 05-04-2020 at 12:04 PM. Reason: to add comment
The following users liked this post:
malfvnction (09-24-2020)
Old 05-06-2020 | 08:50 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by GOV5
So, if I understand you right, You want CarPlay and Dynamic Mesh Communication, and it won't work. Rider X only wants CarPlay, with iPHONE function to his headset, but he is not interested in communication with other riders. DO I have this right?

That is not correct. I use it for CarPlay, with iPhone function to my headset and I use mesh mode to communicate with at least six of my riding buddies and all of this functions perfectly if you follow my instructions exactly. Including the order in which you powered on devices.

The following users liked this post:
TOHOG (07-02-2022)
Old 05-06-2020 | 09:01 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RiderX
That is not correct. I use it for CarPlay, with iPhone function to my headset and I use mesh mode to communicate with at least six of my riding buddies and all of this functions perfectly if you follow my instructions exactly. Including the order in which you powered on devices.
I will try again. Need to study the step-by-step instructions to be sure I'm following them correctly.
When I'm connected to the WHIM, intercom (to other motorcyclists) goes away.
Ken

Old 05-06-2020 | 09:04 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

There is one more item that is very important to point out. It should be obvious but in case it is not...

Please keep in mind that when you set out for your ride and power on your devices as I have indicated, at some point you are going to have to stop for gas. This obviously requires you to turn off your bike which means you must also power off your headset. Remember, your headset has to be the last thing that is paired to your iPhone.

Following the pairing order, that means if you do not turn off your headset and simply fire up your bike, your bike is the last device to connect to the iPhone even though it is plugged in via the USB port.

So all of this to say that any time you stop and turn off your bike, turn off your headset as well. Turn on your bike and then wait a few seconds before turning on your headset.

Old 05-06-2020 | 09:06 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

I will try again. Need to study the step-by-step instructions to be sure I'm following them correctly.
When I'm connected to the WHIM, intercom (to other motorcyclists) goes away.
Ken
Do not connect to the WHIM at all. There is no need to connect to the WHIM.

Old 05-07-2020 | 01:21 AM
RiderX
|
Road Master

"Without taking the bike to the dealership and spending $75.00, how can I ell if the microphone option is on or off? I already paid to have the WHIM programmed in. I don't know what the tech did when he did that.

Typically when the Service Department installs the WHIM, they do not disable the microphone option. You have to ask them to do this. This literally takes less than 5 minutes and they should not charge you anything, let alone $75. You will know whether or not this is done if the CarPlay options appears on your BoomBox. If you follow my instructions, which clearly tells you not to pair your PackTalk to your BoomBox, you are completely bypassing the WHIM. If you then simply plug your iPhone in the USB port using the lightning cable, the CarPlay option should appear. If it does not appear, this means that the microphone option has not been disabled and you need to take it to the dealership to do this. If it does appear as soon as you plug in your iPhone, then the microphone option has already been disabled.

I've read the instructions over and over and over. And maybe I just realized something.
You're connecting your Packtalk to the phone (in the usual manner), and the phone is wired in to the Boombox via the lightning cable.

This is correct. Your PackTalk is being connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth and the phone is connected to the Boombox via the lightning cable.

So the phone is actually the go-between. The PackTalk is connected to the BoomBox via the phone's wired connection to the BoomBox.

I can understand how you may think this is the case but it is actually not true. If you follow my instructions you will end up in a situation where the PackTalk is actually never connected to the Boombox. It doesn't need to, so why should it be? Your iPhone is connected to the BoomBox via the lightning cable period. Your PackTalk is connected to your iPhone via a BlueTooth connection period. The phone is not the go between because you are not controlling your BoomBox with the PackTalk and you are not controlling the PackTalk with the BoomBox. Now that I have said this, I guess you could say there is some interactivity between the PackTalk and the BoomBox because if I say, 'Hey Siri, Call DWKen', my iPhone makes the phone call and that call is displayed on the screen of the BoomBox. Basically you are using 'Hey Siri' to control the phone which in turn shows the result of the command on the screen of the BoomBox.

I hope that makes sense.

THUS: The PackTalk connection to the iPhone must be the last connection any time the motorcycle is turned off and back ON.

Am I getting it?

This is absolutely correct and it will only work if the the PackTalk is the last device to connect to the iPhone. If you turn on your PackTalk first and then turn on your bike, your bike will be the last device to connect to the phone and none of this will work. So always, always, follow the proper connectivity order.

Old 05-07-2020 | 04:26 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by RiderX
Thanks Rider. I hope one day I'll be able to understand all this stuff. I am not there yet. LOL

Last edited by GOV5; 05-07-2020 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-07-2020 | 06:12 AM
Softy 103
Banned

Ok this may sound stupid, but what is PackTalk?

Old 05-07-2020 | 08:50 AM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Softy 103
Ok this may sound stupid, but what is PackTalk?
The PackTalk is a line of Bluetooth communication headsets made by a company called Cardo. They have different versions of the PackTalk such as the PackTalk Bold and the PackTalk Slim. They also make less expensive versions in the form of the Freedom series. The PackTalk Bold is far superior than the units made by Sena. They are more feature rich and more reliable.

Does that answer your question?

Quick Reply: CarPlay & PackTalk Bold