Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay & PackTalk Bold

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2022 | 11:02 AM
DWKen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cactusred
I just updated last week on my 2020 RGL to MY22.21.28.00 and my carplay with jumper works just fine, with my packtalk. The only thing I have not been able to do is I brought my freewire over from my 17SGS and it worked fine with my Android phone, and it worked on my 20RGL with my Android phone, however this last Christmas, I bought my first Iphone, and I got carplay to work but I cannot get it to work with the freewire connected (no jumper connected since it takes freewire plug) and Iphone. Guess it doesn't matter, I just disconnected my freewire, hooked up the jumper connector and run my packtalk edge plugged into the bike and have pretty much everything else working.
That's my fear, cactusred. Updating the boomBox would render my CarPlay useless because I, too, have a Freewire. I've actually extended the microphone audio wiring to the tourpac and the Freewire resides inside the tourpac.

I've read that some people plug the jumper thing into the passenger headset jack and the BoomBox is OK with that and enables CarPlay. So that might be one solution that I wish someone would try.
And the post right above yours by phrgg states that the jumper can be hardwired into the cable with a little splicing OR plugged into the unused WHIM jack under the fairing and CarPlay and Freewire both work simultaneously.

Ken

Old 06-25-2022 | 04:31 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DWKen
That's my fear, cactusred. Updating the boomBox would render my CarPlay useless because I, too, have a Freewire. I've actually extended the microphone audio wiring to the tourpac and the Freewire resides inside the tourpac.

I've read that some people plug the jumper thing into the passenger headset jack and the BoomBox is OK with that and enables CarPlay. So that might be one solution that I wish someone would try.
And the post right above yours by phrgg states that the jumper can be hardwired into the cable with a little splicing OR plugged into the unused WHIM jack under the fairing and CarPlay and Freewire both work simultaneously.

Ken
Hey Ken...is this what you're looking for? I have the "jumper" that I usually plug into the rider plug on the console. I plugged it into the passenger plug and as you can see, CarPlay comes up.

Old 06-25-2022 | 08:01 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

That's very good to know. I rarely (extremely rarely) carry a passenger.

Originally Posted by lefty33
Hey Ken...is this what you're looking for? I have the "jumper" that I usually plug into the rider plug on the console. I plugged it into the passenger plug and as you can see, CarPlay comes up.

Old 06-28-2022 | 08:11 AM
TOHOG
Supporter
Supporter

Can you show a photo of the AirPlay selection option on your iPhone. I do not see the option to choose Cardo or Boom. I have an XR iPhone and just updated my 6.5 to GTS.

TIA

Old 06-28-2022 | 08:12 AM
TOHOG
Supporter
Supporter

Can you direct me to Amazon to purchase that mic jumper please.

Thanks

Old 06-28-2022 | 09:21 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TOHOG
Can you show a photo of the AirPlay selection option on your iPhone. I do not see the option to choose Cardo or Boom. I have an XR iPhone and just updated my 6.5 to GTS. TIA
Bring up this screen...same screen like when you want to use the flashlight. On my iPhone 8+ I swipe up from the bottom...

Top right...tap on the AirPlay button (blue)...

Then the following screens will come up. First one, I have Cardo PackTalk Black checked...

Scroll down and on this screen I have BOOM checked...

And if I have the "jumper" plugged in for CarPlay, it will show up instead of BOOM...

Can you direct me to Amazon to purchase that mic jumper please. Thanks
I got mine off of eBay. Here's the link

Old 06-28-2022 | 12:26 PM
TOHOG
Supporter
Supporter

Awesome response with details and photos! Wow. Much appreciated.
Sitting in the kitchen with neither Paktalk or Sena connected I show only my computer, iPad, home pods.
I suspect when I bluetooth to either com device they will show as per your diagram/examples.

Thanks for taking the time to help an octogenarian with his tech.

Since I have the WHIM I don't see the need for the mic thing, but MAYBE with one of those connected I would not have to USB my actual phone to get CAR PLAY?
I am used to having my phone on the handle bars with a quad lock holder and charger.

from one sinister human to another (lefty)

The following users liked this post:
lefty33 (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022 | 12:54 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Awesome response with details and photos! Wow. Much appreciated.
Sitting in the kitchen with neither Paktalk or Sena connected I show only my computer, iPad, home pods.
I suspect when I bluetooth to either com device they will show as per your diagram/examples.

Thanks for taking the time to help an octogenarian with his tech.

Since I have the WHIM I don't see the need for the mic thing, but MAYBE with one of those connected I would not have to USB my actual phone to get CAR PLAY?
I am used to having my phone on the handle bars with a quad lock holder and charger.

from one sinister human to another (lefty)
Yup. Go to your bike, turn on to Accessory (so radio boots up), and turn your Cardo on. You should now have both the Boom! and Cardo show up to choose from.

I do not have a WHIM so unfortunately can't give you direction there other than YES, the phone still needs to be plugged into the USB, regardless. The "jumper" satisfies the mic requirement only. The only way around not having to physically plug the phone into the USB is to get a wireless adapter like the CPLAY2AIR. It will then work just like it does in a lot of new vehicles. Plug the adapter in to the USB and then you can have your phone (on the bars) connected wireless...no cord.

And at mid sixties, I'm not far behind you

Old 07-04-2022 | 05:33 PM
TOHOG
Supporter
Supporter

Hey RiderX

GTS radio, works perfectly with my WHIM and HD branded Headset 20S EVO CarPlay also is seamlessly.

BUT My Paktalk Bold is much superior and several of my riding pals use it on their various bikes HD and other.
I've been following your posts with great interest. I have read the detailed instructions and run into these 'BUMPS IN THE ROAD'

1) IF I DISABLE RIDER HEADSET, eventually plug the phone into the USB, I get a message "no phone connected, would you like to pair one?"
I don't know what to do then?

2) what is pairing to BOOM mean? vs pairing to the WHIM?
I think that pairing to WHIM is done by using the WIRELESS HEAD SET setting and pairing the PTB same as I do the Sena. BUT you state clearly DO NOT DO THAT.

3) I use iPhone XR and since I installed the GTS radio, in the Bluetooth Settings on the phone I see something named "CinemoBTComponent" when I click on that it gives me options like: Device type (Car Stereo, Headphone, Hearing Aid, Other) It pairs automatically when I plug in the phone. Is this good? bad?

4) later in your discussions on the forum there is a procedure offered that suggests pairing the PTB to the phone and also to the GPS, well HD doesn't have anything called a GPS, so what would I pair to? the WHIM via wireless bluetooth headset? or what?

I know you are likely busy and this is a pia for you but I am keen to learn and willing to try things and I want the damn thing to work just like my HD Sena does.

Any comments or answers are very welcome! Happy 4th.

Steve

Old 07-08-2022 | 12:40 PM
TOHOG
Supporter
Supporter

RiderX

Thanks to your detailed work and patience you have greatly assisted me.
Bike 2018 TriGlide with updated GTS Boombox. Bike came with WHIM installed when new. HD/SENA 20S EVO headsets.
My goal has been to be able to duplicate all HD Boom/Sena functions BUT using the PTB (a far superior headset with DMC).

This week I went to my indy Certified HD mechanic and he used a Non-Harley Digital Tech unit and DISABLED my microphone option.
Now when the iPhone 10R is connected via USB, the CARPLAY screen shows up and functions from left and right control modules on the bars and via touch.
So now when I set Audio Output to HeadSet and NOT SPEAKERS, plug in phone, turn on bike, CarPlay comes up, then i turn on the PTB (bluetoothed to iPhone beforehand, and CarPlay works with my PackTalk Bold! So if I use CarPlay for map, nav prompts, music, xm all works. AND I can use DMC communications with other riders.

THE ONE THING I can't do WITH THE ABOVE SETTINGS is hear the Boom's internal output UNLESS I PLAY IT THROUGH THE SPEAKERS ON THE BIKE. I will have to decide which way I like better. Use Boom Nav Prompts via speaker, or just learn how to use Apple Maps and get comfortable with that.

We are very lucky to have RiderX here to assist. I look forward to hearing about the WHIM update should it ever show up. It will surely be a new adventure!

Quick Reply: CarPlay & PackTalk Bold