Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay & PackTalk Bold

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2022 | 07:11 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Parrothead1809
RiderX - I'll go out to the garage and try your procedure, but I don' think it will work for me: I have a '21 SG Standard that came with Boom/GTS and I have a PackTalk Slim. It's a "stock" bike, No WHIM, no HD microphone and I'm unsure if the dealer has disabled the Apple CarPlay microphone option (not even sure this is an option for my bike). With all that intel, do you think your procedure will work?

Thanks,
-PH

Please give me a call. I am happy to discuss this with you. I sent you a PM with my number.

Old 06-24-2022 | 01:58 PM
Parrothead1809
Tourer

@RiderX Nice job with the summery - it works to the letter: Plug in the phone prior to starting the bike and turn on the Cardo last. All good. The only minor rub is that the volume joy-stick doesn't change the volume in the cardo, but "Hey Cardo, Volume [Up|Down]" works just fine. I still don't exactly know what that push-to-talk button is all about - decoration, I suspect. Maybe we can wire it for some other function (passing lamps, garage door opener, etc.)?

I also had the bike in the dealership for the 1K check up, and they had mentioned that if they update the firmware in the Boom, it could disable the Car Play hack - so I asked them not to update the Boom. Is this true or simply dealership BS? Here are the versions reported by Boom:
System Software: M21.20.28.00
Nav Software: 9.35.10.206394
Map DB: NA-MY2021-1

Is anyone using later versions with the $12 Amazon Plug in the fairing?

Are there any new features that I'm missing if I'm behind a version or two, or have they just released bug-fixes and patches?

Thanks,

Old 06-24-2022 | 02:03 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

I'm using a Sena Freewire to transmit BoomBox audio to my PackTalk.
I haven't updated in almost 3 years because I'm afraid that an update would screw that up and I'd lose my CarPlay!
GRRRRR

There is a BoomBox Facebook group named Harley 2019 Boombox GTS Discussion" for discussing all aspects of BoomBox usage. You'll have to search Facebook for it.
My hope is that it becomes popular and will be a central support point for us to help each other as more people learn about it and BoomBox usage. The more members, the more useful.

Last edited by DWKen; 06-24-2022 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2022 | 02:23 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Parrothead1809
@RiderX Nice job with the summery - it works to the letter: Plug in the phone prior to starting the bike and turn on the Cardo last. All good. The only minor rub is that the volume joy-stick doesn't change the volume in the cardo, but "Hey Cardo, Volume [Up|Down]" works just fine. I still don't exactly know what that push-to-talk button is all about - decoration, I suspect. Maybe we can wire it for some other function (passing lamps, garage door opener, etc.)?

I also had the bike in the dealership for the 1K check up, and they had mentioned that if they update the firmware in the Boom, it could disable the Car Play hack - so I asked them not to update the Boom. Is this true or simply dealership BS? Here are the versions reported by Boom:
System Software: M21.20.28.00
Nav Software: 9.35.10.206394
Map DB: NA-MY2021-1

Is anyone using later versions with the $12 Amazon Plug in the fairing?

Are there any new features that I'm missing if I'm behind a version or two, or have they just released bug-fixes and patches?

Thanks,

The Cardo should have a scroll wheel toward's the rear of the unit that will assist you in adjusting volume.

If they update the firmware using their Digital Technician software, that will remove the ability for them to disable the CarPlay microphone requirement. However, on your own, you can download BoomBox GTS system updates without interfering with your current setup. I just checked and the current version of the GTS software is M22.21.28 so you should definitely update it. H-D system and software updates can be downloaded for free from the link below.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....04942819135800

Old 06-24-2022 | 02:44 PM
maxxym
Stellar HDF Member

FYI, when they ran updates on my bike, I specifically asked them about CarPlay being disabled by the update. They assured me it will not make CP stop working. So I went with it and indeed, I still have CarPlay working.

I love this setup. Cardo sounds so good with those JBL speakers. Much better what I thought they would sound like. Even with earplugs in, I can hear the music very good. The only thing is, and it's not Cardo fault, when I use Spotify, it doesn't default to Cardo pack. It just starts blasting through my speakers. But all I have to do is select the device in Spotify and I am good to go.

Old 06-24-2022 | 03:00 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

Oh maxxym, please elaborate on this.
I haven't paid for them to update mine because I fear the loss of CarPlay.
My current flash, done almost 3 years ago, had three CarPlay options: Microphone, WHIM, or None. Mine was programmed to not need any microphone for Carplay to work. And that has functioned flawlessly.
I understand that HD deleted that "no microphone" option.

But now, people are jumpering their microphone audio at the console jack in order to fool the BoomBox that a microphone is connected. I can't do that because I have my Freewire wired to the console jack. (The Freewire is how I get all audio to my Cardo PackTalk or Edge. )

If a new flash makes a microphone or WHIM required for CarPlay to work, I'd lose CarPlay.

I've read reports that riders have to choose WHIM or Harley Microphone when the BoomBox is flashed; and then they're stuck with that decision for the duration and have to install/remove their helmet comm system each time they change from wired to WHIM.

Old 06-24-2022 | 03:01 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by maxxym
FYI, when they ran updates on my bike, I specifically asked them about CarPlay being disabled by the update. They assured me it will not make CP stop working. So I went with it and indeed, I still have CarPlay working.

I love this setup. Cardo sounds so good with those JBL speakers. Much better what I thought they would sound like. Even with earplugs in, I can hear the music very good. The only thing is, and it's not Cardo fault, when I use Spotify, it doesn't default to Cardo pack. It just starts blasting through my speakers. But all I have to do is select the device in Spotify and I am good to go.
I'm using Spotify most of the time...try this as it works for me. Go to AirPlay on your iPhone and select Cardo instead of Boom. This way it usually defaults to the Cardo when I restart the bike.

Old 06-24-2022 | 03:15 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DWKen
Oh maxxym, please elaborate on this.
I haven't paid for them to update mine because I fear the loss of CarPlay.
My current flash, done almost 3 years ago, had three CarPlay options: Microphone, WHIM, or None. Mine was programmed to not need any microphone for Carplay to work. And that has functioned flawlessly.
I understand that HD deleted that "no microphone" option.

But now, people are jumpering their microphone audio at the console jack in order to fool the BoomBox that a microphone is connected. I can't do that because I have my Freewire wired to the console jack. (The Freewire is how I get all audio to my Cardo PackTalk or Edge. )

If a new flash makes a microphone or WHIM required for CarPlay to work, I'd lose CarPlay.

I've read reports that riders have to choose WHIM or Harley Microphone when the BoomBox is flashed; and then they're stuck with that decision for the duration and have to install/remove their helmet comm system each time they change from wired to WHIM.
@Ssitruc has many posts here where he's explained that updating the radio alone does not affect it. You can read one here starting at post #25 where he explains it. The original settings are still there, but HD techs cannot access them anymore with their equip. He is using a Diag4Bike that allows him to still access these settings and take advantage of the original CP hack.

Old 06-25-2022 | 07:32 AM
phrogg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DWKen

If you did have to do a CarPlay jumper, you can still do this with the factory headset jack to the free play. The same spot where the WHIM connects is where that jumper goes. So you can either jumper at the end of the jack (the passenger one actually) or you can do the jumper.

If you have a non-limited/ultra that doesn’t have a factory jack then it’s more complicated and you have to modify the cable that you would use with the Freewire. You add the same jumper into it. This is what I have done. Before the jumpers were offered I built my own cable that connects a Freewire and includes the jumper.

Old 06-25-2022 | 08:39 AM
cactusred
Road Master

I just updated last week on my 2020 RGL to MY22.21.28.00 and my carplay with jumper works just fine, with my packtalk. The only thing I have not been able to do is I brought my freewire over from my 17SGS and it worked fine with my Android phone, and it worked on my 20RGL with my Android phone, however this last Christmas, I bought my first Iphone, and I got carplay to work but I cannot get it to work with the freewire connected (no jumper connected since it takes freewire plug) and Iphone. Guess it doesn't matter, I just disconnected my freewire, hooked up the jumper connector and run my packtalk edge plugged into the bike and have pretty much everything else working.

Quick Reply: CarPlay & PackTalk Bold