Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay & PackTalk Bold

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022 | 10:41 AM
TOHOG
Supporter
Supporter

Lefty (I'm one sinister lefty also)

I did upgrade to the JBL 45 speakers and I find them great as well.
I also stream XM on phone when off the bike and walking, standing in line, etc.
I also enjoy the traffic&weather features with boom xm as I get notifications of traffic situations I might want to avoid that's a great help returning to Toronto after rides out of the city on weekend or rush hours.

Cheers and thanks.

Old 03-12-2022 | 11:45 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TOHOG
Lefty (I'm one sinister lefty also)

I did upgrade to the JBL 45 speakers and I find them great as well.
I also stream XM on phone when off the bike and walking, standing in line, etc.
I also enjoy the traffic&weather features with boom xm as I get notifications of traffic situations I might want to avoid that's a great help returning to Toronto after rides out of the city on weekend or rush hours.

Cheers and thanks.
Lefty as it applies to golf for me...there's so few of us. But at least we stand on the "right" side of the ball

I see you're in Toronto...I have a son & daughter in law down there. Any snow? I'm just north of Barrie and we still have way too much...snow & wind again today C'mon spring!!

Old 03-16-2022 | 09:48 AM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by TOHOG
RIDER X, THANKS FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE HERE.
My personal situation: 2018 HD 6.5 Boom, WHIM, HD/SENA. Using all functions + XM seemlessly.

WHAT I WANT TO DO:
Use Paktalk Bold to DMC with fellow riders. I have paired my Sena/HD to a friend's Paktalk via Bluetooth, then friend switched connection to DMC. It works but quality of audio is not great. SECOND PROBLEM is now I have either DMC and no Boom or Boom and no DMC.

Would your DETAILED hookup (GTS) work with my 6.5? or is there a work around that you know of?

Thanks once again if anyone can assist.
The problem you outline of having to choose between Boom and DMC is exactly what I experienced when trying to get my PackTalk working with the WHIM. To this day, I do not understand why anyone would want to conintue to use a WHIM if you are trying to add a PacTalk headset to the equation. Honestly, unless you, your passenger, and other people you are riding with are all using HD branded Sena headsets, there is NO REASON, or major advantage of running everything through the WHIM. In fact, I completely bypass my WHIM.

Sure, you may not hear navigation prompts in your headset if you use your onboard navigation but who uses still uses onboard navigation. There are so many better options like Waze and Apple Maps, why use HD's built in navigation. If you use 3rd party apps, you will hear navigation prompts. If you bypass the WHIM, you can still choose to listen to your music through your headset or your bike's speakers. You have full access to Siri simply by pressing a button on the headset or saying, "Hey Siri". If you bypass the WHIM you no longer have DMC or poor audio quality. So, I really struggle to see the advantage of using a WHIM unless everyone you ride with uses HD branded headsets.

Old 03-16-2022 | 02:09 PM
TOHOG
Supporter
Supporter
Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply RixerX

I happen to be a perpetual 'tweeker'! Sometimes it pays off and sometimes well .... what ever the opposite is happens. I have studied and grown accustomed to the HD/Sena setup over the last few years. However my riding groups have expanded and now most use Packtalk DMC which is very good. I've had WHIM since I took delivery of the bike. I have done as you suggest, use DMC for bike to bike and music and listened for NAV, via speakers. It can work and it can also share the NAV prompts to all bikes via my mike.

But I like the hand controls on the bike and the large screen for NAV. Now that I have learned how to pair the Packtalk to the bike (WHIM I GUESS) and phone to the bike I am able to use the Cardo to hear all Boom media, nav, etc and also have the DMC for bike to bike. I have an opportunity to test the bike to bike tomorrow as the weather will be up to about 12c and I will take a ride with another packtalk user who I have been DMCing with by your method. I hope it works.

Also, though there may be no amazing difference, it will suit me fine if it works. Lastly I may have mentioned that I ordered a new GTS unit which I've been waiting on delivery since December. It is not scheduled for first week April so after I receiive and install and have it flashed, I will have the fun of 'retweeking' again.

Thanks very much for freely sharing your considerable knowledge!

Ride Safe

Old 03-16-2022 | 03:25 PM
solo_fl
Intermediate
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by RiderX
The problem you outline of having to choose between Boom and DMC is exactly what I experienced when trying to get my PackTalk working with the WHIM. To this day, I do not understand why anyone would want to conintue to use a WHIM if you are trying to add a PacTalk headset to the equation. Honestly, unless you, your passenger, and other people you are riding with are all using HD branded Sena headsets, there is NO REASON, or major advantage of running everything through the WHIM. In fact, I completely bypass my WHIM.

Sure, you may not hear navigation prompts in your headset if you use your onboard navigation but who uses still uses onboard navigation. There are so many better options like Waze and Apple Maps, why use HD's built in navigation. If you use 3rd party apps, you will hear navigation prompts. If you bypass the WHIM, you can still choose to listen to your music through your headset or your bike's speakers. You have full access to Siri simply by pressing a button on the headset or saying, "Hey Siri". If you bypass the WHIM you no longer have DMC or poor audio quality. So, I really struggle to see the advantage of using a WHIM unless everyone you ride with uses HD branded headsets.
Well, I'm new to it all and there are just so many threads and reviews on the Internet I'm just lost (that ain't hard to do at my age)!!! I just want to be able to take a phone call, listen to my music, and have the ability to talk to other riders when I do group rides. I don't mind the music coming from the external speakers, In your experience what's the best way to go about meeting those requirements? Thanks for the help and advice!

Old 03-16-2022 | 08:23 PM
maxxym
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by solo_fl
Well, I'm new to it all and there are just so many threads and reviews on the Internet I'm just lost (that ain't hard to do at my age)!!! I just want to be able to take a phone call, listen to my music, and have the ability to talk to other riders when I do group rides. I don't mind the music coming from the external speakers, In your experience what's the best way to go about meeting those requirements? Thanks for the help and advice!
I didn't read the entire thread, but I will.

To answer your questions, I can do all those things with Cardo Slim. I also have Apple CarPlay working on my Boom GTS. My cardo slim is paired up to my phone. I can take phone calls while riding and tested it and it sounds great. The sound automatically switches back to music when I hang up the phone.

The only thing that is not working is the volume control for Boom. I have to control the volume either with my phone or Cardo.

I went with Cardo because of it's small design and the upgraded JBL speakers. It sounds pretty damn good for what it is. Don't expect full fidelity sound though lol, but the music is plenty loud and clear at highway speeds.

The following users liked this post:
solo_fl (03-16-2022)
Old 03-23-2022 | 08:01 PM
Dwayne2017
Stage I
Default Bold with rgl and gts

Alright all of you great minds, how can I get the Cardo packtalk bold, 21 road glide limited with gts and android auto work using the handlebar buttons? Android auto works if I plug into USB but I can't hear it through bold. TIA

Old 03-24-2022 | 03:43 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dwayne2017
Alright all of you great minds, how can I get the Cardo packtalk bold, 21 road glide limited with gts and android auto work using the handlebar buttons? Android auto works if I plug into USB but I can't hear it through bold. TIA
I'm not familiar with Android Auto at all as I'm on an iPhone. Without the WHIM (wireless headset interface module) I'm pretty sure you will not get your Cardo to pair with the BOOM GTS.

The way it works for me with my iPhone is I have my iPhone paired to the BOOM GTS, and my Cardo PackTalk paired with my iPhone. If I want to use CarPlay (which is not often), I plug my iPhone into the USB & plug my mic hack plug in the comm port. As I understand, this is not required with Android as they don't specify that a mic has to be in play like Apple does. As mentioned earlier, this gives me 95% of what I need.

Not sure if this is what you're asking but...on my iPhone I pull up AirPlay and then can choose to send my music to either my Cardo or the bike (BOOM). Not sure if Android has something similar to AirPlay?

Old 06-02-2022 | 03:27 PM
RoyNC
Stage I

Today I had a WHIM installed on my 2022 Road Glide Special. I wear a full face helmet with a PackTalk Bold and don’t ever use external bike speakers. I turned on the bike, then my PackTalk and they paired easily after going through the Bluetooth settings. I got immediate audio in my helmet (my iPhone is not paired via Bluetooth to the motorcycle). I then plugged my iPhone into the bike and Apple CarPlay initiated. I have full functionality using all controls. I do not have any additional plugs, flashes or setting initiated. I cannot get Apple CarPlay on my external speakers and the PackTalk is not in full stereo but it is surprisingly good audio. I do have the upgraded JBL speakers but I’m not sure if that is making it tolerable.

Old 06-02-2022 | 06:24 PM
Parrothead1809
Tourer

RiderX - I'll go out to the garage and try your procedure, but I don' think it will work for me: I have a '21 SG Standard that came with Boom/GTS and I have a PackTalk Slim. It's a "stock" bike, No WHIM, no HD microphone and I'm unsure if the dealer has disabled the Apple CarPlay microphone option (not even sure this is an option for my bike). With all that intel, do you think your procedure will work?

Thanks,
-PH

Quick Reply: CarPlay & PackTalk Bold