Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay & PackTalk Bold

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021 | 08:16 AM
TOHOG
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by RiderX
That is not correct. I use it for CarPlay, with iPhone function to my headset and I use mesh mode to communicate with at least six of my riding buddies and all of this functions perfectly if you follow my instructions exactly. Including the order in which you powered on devices.
RIDER X, THANKS FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE HERE.
My personal situation: 2018 HD 6.5 Boom, WHIM, HD/SENA. Using all functions + XM seemlessly.

WHAT I WANT TO DO:
Use Paktalk Bold to DMC with fellow riders. I have paired my Sena/HD to a friend's Paktalk via Bluetooth, then friend switched connection to DMC. It works but quality of audio is not great. SECOND PROBLEM is now I have either DMC and no Boom or Boom and no DMC.

Would your DETAILED hookup (GTS) work with my 6.5? or is there a work around that you know of?

Thanks once again if anyone can assist.

Old 03-05-2022 | 06:26 PM
joeflorida
Novice

Next post #153.

Last edited by joeflorida; 03-05-2022 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to include the quote from previous post.
Old 03-05-2022 | 06:31 PM
joeflorida
Novice

Originally Posted by DWKen
So I carefully followed your instructions again and it works. I can listen to my iPhone music. I can make phone calls (either using SIRI or from the BoomBox telephone function). And DMC works because the iPhone is not connected using a phone pairing (which would be at a higher priority than DMC).

But I cannot hear my BoomBox audio (which is routed to the Harley headset).
If I route to speakers, the BoomBox I hear all BoomBox audio. But routed to the headset . . . nada. (and this makes sense to me since BoomBox audio out probably isn't sent to the iPhone)

Have I missed something?
Hi DWKen,
Sorry for replying to this old post. I found this thread after I recently installed the mic jumper in my Street Glide.
I followed the instructions, double and triple checked the procedure, and I have the same result with no sound coming from the Boom GTS - Nav, Radio, Prompts. Everything else works as described.
Do you know if anyone has found an answer?
Thanks.

Old 03-06-2022 | 09:00 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by joeflorida
Hi DWKen,
Sorry for replying to this old post. I found this thread after I recently installed the mic jumper in my Street Glide.
I followed the instructions, double and triple checked the procedure, and I have the same result with no sound coming from the Boom GTS - Nav, Radio, Prompts. Everything else works as described.
Do you know if anyone has found an answer?
Thanks.
Is it just your nav prompts? If so, check your settings to make sure you don't have your nav prompts turned off. I find them annoying so have them turned off all the time...now.
Even muted, when they were on, it would interrupt my music (music cutting in & out) and it was driving me nuts.
Thought my amp or something was cutting out. Realized it was the prompts so turned them off. Problem fixed!

Old 03-11-2022 | 02:53 PM
TOHOG
Supporter
Supporter

I have a 2018 6.5GT Boombox (Tri-glide). I have a WHIM, XM Sena/HD 20 EVO. All works seamlessly wirelessly. Love it when riding with he wife on back intercom is good, all features good.

Now many of my buds are using Packtalk Bold and not connecting to Boom at all if they have one. So I have been attempting to change over to using the far superior PackTalk Bold.
Originally I could not pair the PTB to the Boombox. So I bluetoothed it to my phone and used the app to manage it. Great for group riding and Siri commands for phone. For Nav, XM, Radio I would have to use Boom Speakers only.

I FINALLY figured out how to pair the PBT to the Boom and it is functioning quite well and I have NAV, XM,AM,FM wirelessly while on DMC. Simple mistake but glad I went back one more time to check it out. Quality of sound has not yet been tested on the road as it is still snowing here as I type this.

I don't know about Apple Car Play as I don't have that on my 6.5GT, BUT I have a new GTS on order (since November) and will upgrade when it arrives sometime in April I hope.

Old 03-11-2022 | 03:22 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TOHOG
I have a 2018 6.5GT Boombox (Tri-glide). I have a WHIM, XM Sena/HD 20 EVO. All works seamlessly wirelessly. Love it when riding with he wife on back intercom is good, all features good.

Now many of my buds are using Packtalk Bold and not connecting to Boom at all if they have one. So I have been attempting to change over to using the far superior PackTalk Bold.
Originally I could not pair the PTB to the Boombox. So I bluetoothed it to my phone and used the app to manage it. Great for group riding and Siri commands for phone. For Nav, XM, Radio I would have to use Boom Speakers only.

I FINALLY figured out how to pair the PBT to the Boom and it is functioning quite well and I have NAV, XM,AM,FM wirelessly while on DMC. Simple mistake but glad I went back one more time to check it out. Quality of sound has not yet been tested on the road as it is still snowing here as I type this.

I don't know about Apple Car Play as I don't have that on my 6.5GT, BUT I have a new GTS on order (since November) and will upgrade when it arrives sometime in April I hope.
Glad you figured it out. I'm assuming that you still have the WHIM and are connecting to the BOOM through the WHIM. As I understand, you will not have stereo sound through the Cardo...only stereo with HD issue Sena.
As mentioned earlier, I do not have a WHIM so connect my iPhone to the GTS and the Cardo PackTalk Black to the iPhone. This set up does probably 90% or more of what I need it to do.

Old 03-11-2022 | 03:52 PM
TOHOG
Supporter
Supporter

Yeah I get your setup. Glad it works for you. For me I prefer to listen to XM talk and news so stereo is not all that important. I like to chat with group members to break up the monotony of some of the all day riding when we travel.

Now I have two options:
1) total HD/Sena + WHIM + Boom and all functions are voice activated and wireless
2) Packtalk wireless with slightly less quality audio on music but much better performance with intercom and bike to bike with DMC.

JUST WISH I could have both systems in one helmet at the same time, LOL.

Old 03-11-2022 | 06:17 PM
joeflorida
Novice

Originally Posted by lefty33
Is it just your nav prompts? If so, check your settings to make sure you don't have your nav prompts turned off. I find them annoying so have them turned off all the time...now.
Even muted, when they were on, it would interrupt my music (music cutting in & out) and it was driving me nuts.
Thought my amp or something was cutting out. Realized it was the prompts so turned them off. Problem fixed!
Hi lefty33,
Thanks for your reply.
There is no sound coming from the Boom GTS, just from the Apple Carplay apps and the Packtalk functions - DMC, phone, etc.
I checked again, and the prompts are turned on.

Old 03-12-2022 | 09:25 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TOHOG
Yeah I get your setup. Glad it works for you. For me I prefer to listen to XM talk and news so stereo is not all that important. I like to chat with group members to break up the monotony of some of the all day riding when we travel.

Now I have two options:
1) total HD/Sena + WHIM + Boom and all functions are voice activated and wireless
2) Packtalk wireless with slightly less quality audio on music but much better performance with intercom and bike to bike with DMC.

JUST WISH I could have both systems in one helmet at the same time, LOL.
Good the hear you're happy with your set up as well. I may get the WHIM someday but for now I'm good. I have XM in both my vehicles...if I wanted to listen to it on the bike, I can stream it from my phone to either the BOOM or the Cardo.

I also enjoy the communication with other riders...especially on the multi-day trips. I used to use my CB for that but using that less & less these days. Quality sound out of the JBL speakers of my Cardo PackTalk Black (same as Bold other than the Black as 45mm speakers compared to the Bold with 40mm speakers) for music & comm. Really like how it auto mutes the music for conversations and then picks up the music where it left off after done talking. My wife has the Bold in her helmet.

The following users liked this post:
TOHOG (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022 | 09:29 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by joeflorida
Hi lefty33,
Thanks for your reply.
There is no sound coming from the Boom GTS, just from the Apple Carplay apps and the Packtalk functions - DMC, phone, etc.
I checked again, and the prompts are turned on.
Sorry...don't have an answer for you then. I have the option of CarPlay but very seldom use it. I must be in the minority as I'm not crazy about it.
Only other thing I can even think of is if you're on an iPhone, check to make sure you have "BOOM" checked in your AirPlay. If "Cardo" is checked it will only send sound to the Cardo speakers.

Quick Reply: CarPlay & PackTalk Bold