Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay & PackTalk Bold

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020 | 06:42 PM
Ernie Sloberbean
4th Gear
Default 2020 Ultra Limited - I hear them, they don’t hear me

I have read the whole thing - I think. Packtalk Bold connects to the Boom, Phone to Boom with CarPlay, can call, music, texts, all good and in the order that was posted BUT when riding with a friend I can hear him and him not me. Only when I turn my bike off can he hear me so it must be the PackTalk connected to the Boom - nothing else changes. Ignition to off, Packtalk disconnects from Boom and he can hear me.... I have the WHIM, iPhone 11 Pro Max connected to the lightning connector (after the bike is turned of so CarPlay works).

On his Cardo app is says Busy next to my name if that helps.

Any ideas?

Old 12-06-2020 | 06:01 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sol-Invictus
I am so glad I have the 2020 with packtak bold and android auto. Great set up. We were issued iphones by DHS. After using Android for so many years I can see why there would be issues. Some of the most unintuitive software, interfaces with poor functionality. Even if you don't have a radio the Bold unit is awesome. Mesh is the deal and no need for CBs since it supports 12 or 15 riders. We never ride more than 6 bikes at most so everyone can communicate easily and seemlessly. Just pair it with your phones and you have awesome stereo, xm radio etc. But android auto is a whole different ball game. Really awesome on the Ultra.
SOL, forgive me for not being able to understand, but are you saying it's the Android that has the unintuitive software, interfaces with poor functionality, or is it the iPhone? I know the Packtalk Bold Mesh is the best out there right now.

Old 12-06-2020 | 11:50 AM
Sol-Invictus
Tourer

Originally Posted by GOV5
SOL, forgive me for not being able to understand, but are you saying it's the Android that has the unintuitive software, interfaces with poor functionality, or is it the iPhone? I know the Packtalk Bold Mesh is the best out there right now.
I vastly prefer Android over iPhone and android auto over car play. I had to download the android update for my 2020. I am not sure if Android auto is available for prior years.

Old 12-06-2020 | 11:23 PM
cactusred
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ernie Sloberbean
I have read the whole thing - I think. Packtalk Bold connects to the Boom, Phone to Boom with CarPlay, can call, music, texts, all good and in the order that was posted BUT when riding with a friend I can hear him and him not me. Only when I turn my bike off can he hear me so it must be the PackTalk connected to the Boom - nothing else changes. Ignition to off, Packtalk disconnects from Boom and he can hear me.... I have the WHIM, iPhone 11 Pro Max connected to the lightning connector (after the bike is turned of so CarPlay works).

Any ideas?
I don't have the whim, but this is covered in the thread on how to connect the device and the workaround...
Did you do this?

Old 12-07-2020 | 11:49 PM
Ernie Sloberbean
4th Gear

Originally Posted by cactusred
I don't have the whim, but this is covered in the thread on how to connect the device and the workaround...
Did you do this?

Actually phone works just fine it is only the other rider that doesn’t hear me. An additional note - his audio volume on his music is reduced when I am talking he just can’t hear me. When my bike is off it works just fine.

Old 12-08-2020 | 06:14 AM
cactusred
Road Master

Not positive Ernie because you have the whim, which means your radio has been flashed to mic on, but if you read early on some of the guys that have the whim had some similiar problems you had. Have you tried to power the Packtalk on last, as in after the phone which is plugged into the bike, is on and the bike turned on, then turn your packtalk on. Seems that was a coordinated powered on sequence they had to go through to get things working with the whim.

Old 12-08-2020 | 08:57 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ernie Sloberbean

Any ideas?
This exact issue has been covered in great detail by me and a couple of other people on the forum. This is due to a compatibility issue with the WHIM and the PackTalk Bold when using 'mesh' mode. You can get around this issue by not pairing your PackTalk to the WHIM at all and plugging your iPhone into the media port in order to use CarPlay. Of course in this scenario, CarPlay will only work if you have the 'microphone required' option disabled by the dealer.

Old 12-08-2020 | 09:20 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by cactusred
Not positive Ernie because you have the whim, which means your radio has been flashed to mic on, but if you read early on some of the guys that have the whim had some similiar problems you had. Have you tried to power the Packtalk on last, as in after the phone which is plugged into the bike, is on and the bike turned on, then turn your packtalk on. Seems that was a coordinated powered on sequence they had to go through to get things working with the whim.
The only true fix for this is to use the Freedom unit if you have or can add the 7 pin Music & Communications kit.

Old 12-09-2020 | 12:59 AM
Ernie Sloberbean
4th Gear

Originally Posted by RiderX
This exact issue has been covered in great detail by me and a couple of other people on the forum. This is due to a compatibility issue with the WHIM and the PackTalk Bold when using 'mesh' mode. You can get around this issue by not pairing your PackTalk to the WHIM at all and plugging your iPhone into the media port in order to use CarPlay. Of course in this scenario, CarPlay will only work if you have the 'microphone required' option disabled by the dealer.
thanks RiderX - I did read all of that but thought that issue was fixed when you wrote the directions from Cardo people about the pairing order? I would only pair it with the phone and not the WHIM but Hey Siri from the PackTalk doesn’t always work and the car play push button on the handle bar controls always does...

Old 12-09-2020 | 12:54 PM
mikefmoto
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RiderX
Not too bad right? The only bad news is, if you already followed my advice and had the dealership disable the CarPlay microphone option, you must go back to them, hat in hand, and ask them kindly to turn that option back on. I would not suggest having them enable the microphone option just yet. I would suggest waiting until others on this wonderful forum can provide some feedback and let us know if it indeed works as it should. However, if you have not already had the dealership disable the CarPlay microphone option, you can give this a shot and let us all know how it goes. I am anxious to see all of the feedback.

I would still like to work with someone specifically so I can document each step in great detail. This will allow me document any issues if they occur, when they occur, and what was done to attempt to resolve it. Again, if you are interested in helping me out, please shoot me a PM.

I truly hope this puts an end to all of the craziness caused really by Harley. I could go on and on as to why it is their fault but I digress. Why are you still here, get to testing!
Will this work with Adroid Auto on an Android, too? I'm thinking pair BT channel 1 to Bold and BT channel 2 to phone and plug into the fire port.

Quick Reply: CarPlay & PackTalk Bold