Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay & PackTalk Bold

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020 | 12:36 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by solouncapitano
Unfortunately latest digital technician sw does not have anymore the three Carplay options listed above.
Basically now there is only Whim enabled/disabled; latest firmware (20.21.17.00) also has something that prevent carplay showing up if there isn't a mic plugged in.

This is frustating ......
Nothing in the latest system software prevents CarPlay from working. I had the dealership set the 'Mic Off' option when I got my bike last year and I am running the latest version of the system software and CarPlay works perfectly. The system software cannot override settings in Digital Technician. As, I just mentioned in a previous reply, it is true that the latest version of Digital Technician no longer has the option to turn off the microphone requirement. The only way around it is to try to find a dealership that is running an older version of Digital Technician.

Old 06-20-2020 | 12:38 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by DWKen
That would be a step backwards.
It's my understanding that the mic off option was created so CarPlay WOULD show up without a mic being plugged in.
Can anyone confirm this?
This is 100% correct. However, it is being reported by many users on this forum that the 'mic off' option has been removed from the latest version of Digital Technician.

Old 06-20-2020 | 12:40 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Reading on HD site about Boombox GTS requirements:*Android Auto is currently available through a software update for existing Boom Box GTS units and will be a standard function on all 2021-model Harley-Davidson Touring, CVO™ and Trike motorcycles equipped with the Boom! Box GTS system. A wired connection to a compatible Android smartphone required. Google Assistant is not available in certain languages and countries. Google, Android, Google Play, Android Auto and other marks are trademarks of Google LLC.

**To enable Apple CarPlay®, your motorcycle must be equipped with an optional wired or wireless H-D® Genuine Motor Parts and Accessories headset and an iPhone® 5 or later.

Why Android does not require optional wired/wireless H-D part ?
Why H-D force instead the use for Apple?

H-D claims that the reason they did this was because Apple filed a complaint with H-D saying this is a violation of the CarPlay user agreement, forcing H-D to remove this option.

Old 06-20-2020 | 12:41 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

I will try to check.
It may be that your dealer is used an old Digital Technician version. Maybe someone else here can help confirm.

Ken

This is true. If you dealership has upgraded to the latest version of Digital Technician, the 'mic off' option is no longer present.

Old 06-20-2020 | 01:01 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

One question, after reading all this thread I'm little bit confused.

Will the following configuration work for Carplay ?
- WHIM
- Cardo Headset (I've already have two and I won't buy another ones )
- iPhone

I do not care if headset won't be stereo; I need carplay and iPhone control from the command on the riser.
@DWKen and I have had slightly different experiences. I can get full functionality using the exact setup that you have if I put my PackTalk in GPS pairing mode and pair it to the WHIM. Everything works 100%, including DMC mode but there is just one issue. For some reason, one that even the most experienced tech at Cardo cannot understand, the volume in DMC mode drops drastically on my Packtalk Bold. Nothing I do increases the volume. Riders can hear me perfectly fine but I can only har them faintly. If I go to the BoomBox GTS and disable the 'Rider Headset', the volume level returns to normal. As soon as I enable the option again, the volume level drops. I have worked extensively with Cardo and che-cked the volume levels within the app, enabled audio mixing, and went through a myriad of options to resolve this issue but nothing worked. @DWKen has tried to pair his WHIM to the PackTalk when it is in GPS pairing mode but for some reason has been unsuccessful in getting this to work. I am not sure if this is unique to me but it would be interesting if you could try and let me know what happens.

Since my radio has been flashed with the microphone option set as 'mic off', what I do is simply bypass the WHIM altogether. I have my iPhone plugged into the USB connector and my iPhone is paired to my PackTalk on the 'Phone 1' channel. As long as I follow the proper power on sequence, the PackTalk has be powered on only after the iPhone is connected to the bike and the bike is turned on, everything mostly works. The only thing that doesn't work is being able to control Siri using the voice button on the bike and not being able to hear navigation instructions if I use the navigation on the BoomBox. For me, these issues are not important since I use Apple Maps and I can use the 'Hey Siri' functionality built into the PackTalk to control my iPhone.

The best option to get everything working 100% is to get a Sena Freewire. This does require that you bike already has a 7-pin wired headset connector or that you can add one to your bike. If you bike does not have one, 99% of the time, it is easy to add one - unless your bike came from the factory with a WHIM pre-installed. I will not get into the details as to why it is an issue if your bike came with a WHIM pre-installed but @TriGeezer and I are working together to make an adapter that would allow me to add a 7-pin wired headset connector so that I can use a Sena Freewire.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-20-2020 | 01:05 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Important Update !!!!!

I have been told by a very reliable source that there is a firmware update for the WHIM coming by the end of this month. This is either going to resolve some issues we have all been having with the WHIM or it is going to make them worse. I am excited to see what changes are included in the firmware. Keep checking the H-D software website for the WHIM firmware update and reply the minute you see it. I would try to find release notes for the new version before you install it though in case it will break something that is currently working.

Old 06-20-2020 | 04:39 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

Something I've wondered, but don't want to spend the $70+ to the dealership to have them try it for me, is . . . . If the BoomBox is programmed by the Digital Tech for "Wired Mic", and I have my Sena Freewire plugged into the headset connector, does the Freewire look like a wired microphone to CarPlay?

If it does, this solves all issues! BoomBox happy, CarPlay happy, and Ken happy!

But hearing the news that the dealership can't go back to the mic option turned OFF, I'm not going to risk it. My PackTalk / BoomBox works perfectly with the Sena Freewire as it is.

If a new WHIM firmware update makes everything work with a PackTalk (doubtful, I know), I can certainly try that. My WHIM is still mounted under the batwing, just unplugged from the bike. My plan is to eventually try to sell it to offset other costs I've incurred.

Ken

Old 06-21-2020 | 01:21 AM
RiderX
|
Road Master

[QUOTE=DWKen;19207240]Something I've wondered, but don't want to spend the $70+ to the dealership to have them try it for me, is . . . . If the BoomBox is programmed by the Digital Tech for "Wired Mic", and I have my Sena Freewire plugged into the headset connector, does the Freewire look like a wired microphone to CarPlay?

If it does, this solves all issues! BoomBox happy, CarPlay happy, and Ken happy!{/QUOTE]

The Freewire will absolutely look like a microphone to the BoomBox GTS if it is plugged into the headset connector. Everything is working perfectly for you now so why would you change anything? Even if you do try it and it works, what would be the point in doing so?

But hearing the news that the dealership can't go back to the mic option turned OFF, I'm not going to risk it. My PackTalk / BoomBox works perfectly with the Sena Freewire as it is.
Exactly! So why even change it.

a new WHIM firmware update makes everything work with a PackTalk (doubtful, I know), I can certainly try that. My WHIM is still mounted under the batwing, just unplugged from the bike. My plan is to eventually try to sell it to offset other costs I've incurred.

Ken
When the new WHIM firmware update comes out, it would be easy enough for you to test it out by simply plugging your WHIM back in, unplug and turn off your Freewire, and pair your Packtalk Bold to the WHIM instead of the Freewire. If it doesn't work, it would be easy enough to simply unplug the WHIM, plugin the Freewire, and pair your PackTalk back to your Freewire. I am going to give it a shot.

Old 06-21-2020 | 01:43 AM
RiderX
|
Road Master

As you may or may not know, because my 2019 CVO Street Glide came for the factory with a WHIM pre-installed, I do not have a P&A connector that would allow me to add the 7-pin wired headset port. The reason I would want to add the 7-ping wired headset port to my bike is so that I could use a Sena Freewire and bypass my WHIM completely by simply unplugging it. The Sena Freewire has been well documented and tested by @DWKen and proven to work 100% with CarPlay, DMC (mesh mode) on the Packtalk Bold, with the voice activation on the bike, and hearing audio prompts such as navigation instructions when using the navigation system on the BoomBox GTS; everything works. u**

It's amazing to me that on H-D's high end Street Glide, you cannot even add a port for a wired headset. How fu**** up is that?

The following users liked this post:
sped (06-21-2020)
Old 07-20-2020 | 07:07 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

4,000 mile trip from DFW to Deadwood, N. Dakota, Devil's Tower, and other points of interest in the area.

The Freewire and PackTalk worked flawlessly the way I have it hooked up.

My BoomBox is programmed for "No Mic". So the BoomBox cannot hear any commands. That was expected. I am going to get the BoomBox programmed for "Wired Mic" to be able to control all functions from the PackTalk. Keeping fingers crossed.

"

Quick Reply: CarPlay & PackTalk Bold