Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thundermax computer help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:07 PM
jeffer60
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thundermax computer help

Well, I have my new fatcats on and the ANBS, and the TMAT, but hooked up computer (Sony VAIO about 3 years old) with RadioShack usb=serial port adapter, turned ignition on with run switch on, clicked on link and error message after a bit saying it could not find the device. Called tech support at TMAX and they said that some usb adaptors do not work and that they could send me one, meaning I can't ride tomorrow. Any of you run into this? IF so, how to fix? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:40 PM
jeffer60
Cruiser
Default RE: thundermax computer help

bump--nobody else with tmat has run into this? Would like to be able to ride tonight if possible--any advice appreciated

Old 07-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The USB->Serial adapter from Belkin is working fine for me.
Check BestBuy or CircuitCity.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:47 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Windows XP and on my laptop I had to get a serial/USB adapter too. Mine came with an installation CD with some driver I had to install before it would work. Also, be aware in the Thundermax seoftware you can specify auto for the serial port or one manually if you know what port your USB device is emulating with the serial connector.

On a side note, I had an older version of the manual which suggested running the IAC auto feature..but talking to tech support yesterday they no longer suggest doing that and instead simply running the engine temp up to 289 at idle and letting the module learn on it's own without engaging the IAC Auto button.

You may want to give Zippers a call when you're connected to check on their advise with your setup. Some things have changed with the instructions.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I know this SUCKS, but I had to goto "Best Buy" and spend $40 to be able to ride that day. They adapter comes with the CORRECT driver which is a big part. From there you'll be able to program the "thundermax". Just make sure that you have read the post about NOT USING THE IAC portion and just letting the "thundermax" auto tune that part.

Bob

Old 07-20-2007, 12:56 PM
jeffer60
Cruiser

Thank you all. this forum has been great wtih help for my installations that the manuals just didn't explain well or at least to someone not familiar to working on bikes. I'll try the BEST buy versuion after I get done with work tonight at 5 and hopefully can ride by tomorrow morning at 9:00

Old 07-20-2007, 04:47 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the IAC thing just on 07's or have they changed it for all the previous year also?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:40 PM
jeffer60
Cruiser

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm still having problems. Tried a different usb/serial adaptor from best buy (no software came with), and salesman told me it might not work, as device is trying to emulate a usb. Getting the same error message I got with radio shack one. It is not recognizing the TMAT. Tried to manually go to a com and got same message at all but com3==it gave me a message saying that it was taking too long to connect and to abort or retry. Retry did not work.

Any other ideas to get me riding by 9:00 a.m. tomorrow? I checked the fuse for the ECM and it seems to be seated properly. Sounds as if the the fuel injection system is working when I turn on the ignitiion with the run on.

Tired and frustrated

Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 PM
jeffer60
Cruiser

bump

Old 07-20-2007, 08:13 PM
twilliams
Tourer

I am using an older keyspan adapter with mine and it works fine. I have heard that the cheaper the better on these, some of the more expensive units people have had problems with.

Quick Reply: thundermax computer help