Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1500 to Spend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:37 AM
bdavis
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default $1500 to Spend?

If I decide to buy a 2007 Street Glide, they are going to give me a $1500 voucher to spend at the Harley shop. It has to be spent the day of the purchase but can be used for anything, including parts and service. I'm thinking if I could squeeze pipes, high-flow air cleaner, and remap (or SERT, etc...) into that I'd be doing good. Any thoughts or suggestions as to brands, costs, etc?

Old 07-20-2007, 09:40 AM
TexasRanger
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: $1500 to Spend?

Add a few bucks to it and get a Stage II Big Bore kit

Old 07-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

First thing I would do is buy a "ThunderMax" or a "DTT" to address the heat issue. You'll find out that the perfomance increase is money well spent! Then I would look at a quality set of pipes to let the neighbors hear that your coming home from the bar at 11pm on a school night. Last with little bit of left over money a high flow air cleaner like Doherty or Ness! Even a novice can install all these things themself. Don't let the dealer try to convince you they must install them. That's just my $5 worth....

Old 07-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Sheep
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bdavis

If I decide to buy a 2007 Street Glide, they are going to give me a $1500 voucher to spend at the Harley shop. It has to be spent the day of the purchase but can be used for anything, including parts and service. I'm thinking if I could squeeze pipes, high-flow air cleaner, and remap (or SERT, etc...) into that I'd be doing good. Any thoughts or suggestions as to brands, costs, etc?
103 Stage II kit. At time of purchase its under the 2-year warranty and even with labor will only cost you a few hundred more.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm agreeing with GeezerGlideBob. A ThunderMax AutoTune system, a set of aftermarket pipes and air cleaner mod. Just the parts of course, there's no rocket science in the labor.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:56 AM
whateva
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd do the paperwork then trade it in. Use the $1500 along with your trade in value towards a Road King Classic.
Just kidding of course.
I'd go with the pipes, air and find a way to get the Tmax w/ autotune

Old 07-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Z_Stingray
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd focus the money on something you must, or need, or really want the dealer to do such asthe performance upgrade. That way the service will be done by the dealer and it will still be covered by the warranty.
All of the other do dads you will buy can be easily installed by you. For example, Thundermax AutoTune, Pipes - I recommend Rinehart True Duals (wish I had) or D&D Fat Cats (what I have), and high flow air cleaner.
Here's some other changes you are likely to run into that you can easily install.
These were already mentioned but didn't offer the price...
$700 * Exhaust - Rinehart True Duals, or
$630 * D&D Fat Cats
$120 * Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner
$675 * Thundermax AutoTune (TMAT)
$650 * Mustand seat w/ driver's backrest
$150 * Streamliner Highway pegs
$130 * Oil temp. guage to replace the ambient air temp. guage
FREE * Chop / Shorten radio antenna
$60 * 8" (or taller) windshield, the 4" will beat the stuffing out of your forehead (Don't buy the taller Harley windshield. Get a Memphis Shades.)
$60 * New grips
$20-$150 * Chrome control housings, or at least chrome switches (what I did). Replace caps when you buy the grips.
$300 * Passenger backrest
$350 * Passenger floorboards

These are just the prices off of the top of my head. But there close. So, I've got over $3000 extra in mine and I've only had it for 4 months.
If you decide to buy parts instead of the performance upgrade, save the installation fee and install them yourself. You will be able to get more out of the money. So, if you don't want the performance and are OK with installing the pipes, TMAT, and air cleaner yourself, I would recommend:

$60 * grips
$30 * chrome switch caps
$300 * passenger backreast
$130 * oil temp gauge
$350 * passenger floorboards
$100 * clamps and bolts to relocate the passenger pegs (replaced w/ the floorboards) to the highway bars
$250 * Performance Oil Cooler

And w/ the extra money you could get all kinds of chrome covers (Front Master Cylinder Cap, Rear Master Cylinder Cap, Voltage Regulator Cover, Belt Cover, etc.)

Old 07-20-2007, 12:31 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised nobody mentioned floating brake rotors.. A performance up grade for sure & one of the frst things on my list

Old 07-20-2007, 03:06 PM
huskers11
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

make sure you get cruise control

Old 07-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If you go with a ThunderMax or pipes or air cleaner and the dealer doesn't install it, the bike will still have a warranty UNTIL THE STEALER OR MOCO can prove (they must be able to prove) that the modification was the cause of the problem!!! Don't let the STEALER MENTALITY scare you! The bike is under warranty!! They must again PROVE... There is a law stating this since about 1976! The dealers said the same thing to me until I informed them about this law and they have since never said a word about the warranty issue.

Bob

Quick Reply: $1500 to Spend?