Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Whelen siren

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 01:26 PM
wolfvon
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing Whelen siren

Got a 2011 FLHTP (police). All police gadgets was removed and bike made for public use before shipping overseas (from dealer in TX). Now I want to make it look like a police bike again. Got some of the items like red and blue lights, Tour-Pak. The horn that now is installed I'd like to exchange to a Whelen siren. I got in my hand a new 100 Watt Whelen 9115788-A. The mounting bracket for the siren will arrive soon. Now, here is the thing, I want to install the siren but don't have a amplifier. I will only use the siren as a horn. With a single sound every time I push the horn button. Nothing else (its not allowed). No microphone, wail sound, yelp sound or other sound the police use. How do I work this out? Do I need a complicated and expensive amplifier or is there a way to go around it? I guess I need something since the siren is 100 Watt.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:40 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 524 Likes on 453 Posts

I think you will find that the 91157-88A is just a speaker and that the amp is needed.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:55 PM
Gumball
Intermediate
Received 63 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 2018 FLHTP and although it was decommissioned, they left all of the police wiring and switches on it. I added the OEM Harley / Whelen siren speaker and mount on the engine guard and use it as an electronic air horn. Whelen makes an amplifier that only emits that sound for considerably less money than the full-on amplifier. The Whelen part number is PAH112 - I bought mine through Amazon for around $150USD.

The wiring connection for the siren speaker was still in place, as was the large connector under the seat for the real siren amplifier. I just figured out which five wires I needed - 12v +, 12v -, amp in, amp out, and thumb switch, then made my own harness extension with pins that I plugged in to the proper slots on the large connector. The other ends were connected to the PAH112 amp that I mounted in the trunk box I used - which is a new surplus Motorola radio box. The sound is awesome - SUPER LOUD - but not something that will get me a ticket (at least in my home state).

Here are a few pics....

Last edited by Gumball; 03-09-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:34 AM
wolfvon
Novice

I know that I'll need a amplifier but the question is what kind of amplifier. I only need something that make me able to use my speaker as a horn. One single tone every time I press the button. Gumball gave me a reply about a amplifier PAH 112. Could be something. One other thing I forgot, all wires used on the bike hen used by the police are still there but coiled up underneath the seat. They are not in use by me.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:17 PM
Gumball
Intermediate
Received 63 Likes on 23 Posts

Wolfvon - The three plugs you show from under your seat are (from left to right) the main connector for the OEM style siren amplifier, the connector for the rear running light panel (originally two blue lights on a panel that mounts behind the license plate), and the rear light tower.

The one you need to tap into is that large connector. You can get wiring diagrams from the Whelen website (click on installation instructions for the OEM siren amplifier). I used those to figure out where to connect the five wires that come from the PAH112 powered air horn amplifier. Here are a couple pics that show the wiring diagrams and my notes about the connections to the PAH112. If you do a search on the Whelen air horn on youtube, you should be able to find some sound clips - just be ready for it to be much louder in person than it comes across on those videos.

Also, here are a couple other pics you may find helpful - one that shows my installation of the PAH112 in the Motorola radio box (trunk) and another that shows the front connector for the siren speaker (should be located at the front of the frame coming out from under the tank (it looks sort of like the connector under your seat for the rear light tower (the gray and orange one). If you buy the Whelen speaker from H-D, it will include the proper connector to make that a plug-and-play solution.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:44 PM
wolfvon
Novice

Thanks Gumball. This PAH 112 could be what I need. Plenty on YouTube that shows how to install. Thinking about ordering one from the US. However, I found out that it doesn't come cheap. First I've the price tag, then the shipping. Adding those cost together and then add another 25% import tax since the US is not a member of EU. I calculated and it'll be a total of double the original price tag. I'm not so sure I'd like to spend that kind of money just for honking the siren now and then. I've been looking for options and of course there 's always very cheap stuff from China to buy but I'm not very interested in that kind of business. But I found a dealer in Europe that got a Lamphus SoundAlert SAAH75 100W Electrical Air Horn System. Small and easy to install as far as I can see. The specs. are: Input 9-30VDC, Input current 4,31 AMPS Max 12V DC, Speaker Impedance 8 OHMS Min, Output Power 12VDC 8 OHMS 100 WATTS Max. Those figures suggests to me that since my speaker got a resistance of 11 Ohms and the LAMPHUS is design for 8 Ohms the volume will be dampened. Would you agree on that? If so, would it be a "big" difference in volume?

Old 03-14-2020, 02:14 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 707 Likes on 351 Posts

I don’t know if this will work without the amp, but your siren can be made to function like an air horn very easily:

Old 03-14-2020, 10:30 PM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Nothing will work without the amp, Thats the brains of the entire siren, it creates all the electronic tones as well as amplifying them up and then out the speaker. That said, you can very easily buy any siren and/or air horn amp, put the deutsch plug on it and connect it up to the bike.

Code3, sho me, etc all make a nice small package that could easily fit in the bottom of your saddlebag.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:09 AM
blazzent45
Tourer
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey check this out these boxes are around $45 USD.......https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404...7867376979234/

Old 03-24-2020, 09:12 AM
blazzent45
Tourer
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

The amp/ little black box I was speaking of....

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Installing Whelen siren