Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Whelen siren

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 01:28 PM
wolfvon
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip about the Lamphus Soundalert SAAH75 at Amazon. It looks small and that's what I want. But as always when Murphy is hanging behind your back, everything does not go the way you want. I found out that nobody of the sellers selling this item ship to Sweden. Got the message, "Currently there are no sellers that can deliver this item to your location". It's not my lucky day. There are others available, from Whelen and others (often expensive amplifiers) but how often do I use the siren I ask myself. Perhaps 15 times in a year to warn bicycles, or pedestrians, or a kid playing to close to the road. It's not worth spending a large sum of money for that. I'll check what's available in China.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:17 PM
blazzent45
Tourer
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Ahhh sorry about that ☹️

Old 05-25-2020, 02:13 PM
wolfvon
Novice
Default Lamphus amp

Finally got my Lamphus SoundAlert SAAH75 from the US after almost 2 month. Now I got a problem with how to connect it. Before the Sound Alert arrived I borrowed one cheap (China made) amp from a friend for testing how to connect the amp to the Whelen siren. The amp had 4 wires and 3 *****. One for volume, one for different (ridiculous) animal sound, and one for chosing animal/siren/mic. I disconnected the two wires behind the horn on the bike and connected them to two wires from the cheap amp. Then I connected the other two wires on the cheap amp to the Whelen siren. The volume **** was set to max, and one **** was set to Siren mode. Then I turned on the ignition on the bike and triggered the horn button on the left handle. Yes, there was a tone coming out from the Whelen siren but very very weak. Perhaps half of the db as from the original horn. I'm not surprised, but I wanted to try how to connect the amp once the Lamphus arrived. Now it has arrived but I can't get it to work. The Lamphus has 5 wires. No *****, since it's made for a very loud "honk". One black wire goes to ground. One red wire (has a 10A fuse) goes to battery plus. 2 white goes to the siren. One yellow goes to the switch (2 different switches was included). I did the same thing this time with the Lamphus as with the cheap amp. I removed the 2 wires from the horn and connected them to the red and black on the Lamphus amp (i checked who was ground first). Then I connected the two white wires from the Lamphus to the Whelen siren. I thought I didn't need to use either of the switches for the yellow wire. I turned on the ignition but nothing at all happened when I triggered the horn button. Now my question is: do I really need the yellow wire connected to either switch? Could someone tell me how to connect the wires. I don't want to use either of the switches, I want to use the standard horn button on the left side as I did when connecting the cheap amp from China (although Lamphus also is made in China). But how to do it? Does anyone know?

Old 05-25-2020, 02:34 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain
Received 388 Likes on 243 Posts

Looks simple.
other than if both switches are wired with yellow as I see it, pressing the horn button can cause a short when the select sound switch is 'on'. weird setup.

Last edited by Trumpet; 05-25-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:41 AM
wolfvon
Novice

Well, i don't know if I'd like to call it a weird setup. I don't think the manufacturer of the amp make it with a weird setup. I think it's not too complicated to connect the amp between the existing horn button and the siren. The question is how. I think the key in this case is the yellow wire and the fact that I don't want to use any of the delivered switches.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:06 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain

Then the question is ; which setting is the one you want. Looks like bank one is available when the yellow floats [no connection], and bank 2 is when yellow is tied to positive.

The single on/off switch chooses the bank. The on/on chooses between regular horn or the Lamphus

That's what I get from the diagram, except for tying the yellow wire to both switches, that to me is the weird part.

If Harley is already using a relay to activate the horn [stock] then it would work as presented. If Harley just uses the horn button to close ground [they used to] then you'll get a short and blown fuse. Not really up on the latest and greatest with their electrical systems. Having gone from a '68 FLH to a '08 Ultra, I'm just getting up to speed.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:19 PM
blazzent45
Tourer

Here's how a guy on Facebook hooked his up!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
Trumpet (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 03:04 PM
Trumpet
Road Captain

That makes sense.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:19 PM
blazzent45
Tourer

Originally Posted by Trumpet
That makes sense.
Yep press horn button stock horn, flip the switch, you have the siren air horn......