Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theory on waving - Regional thing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:53 PM
serverpimp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theory on waving - Regional thing?

On a recent vacation to Daytona (live in Atlanta area) I noticed a waving phenomenon. Riders in Florida don’t wave as much as other places I have been. My assumption is the weather is so nice, and there are more bikes per capita, that there are so many riders that folks don’t wave as much. Here in Atlanta I would say nearly 80% wave, especially Harley to Harley. I would guess on my 5 day trip it was more like 25% around Daytona to New Smyrna Beach area (where we stayed).

Growing up in a very rural area everyone waved at each other as you passed them on the road. I’m sure some of you live in an area like that. It doesn’t take much of a population increase in an area for that to stop. Just too much waving to do? I figure this is the same thing happening in FL. So many bikes it is just too much waving. I didn't take offense, just found it odd and found myself not automatically waving as I ususally do. Didn't want to left hanging.

I would like to hear from some of the FL natives. Does this happen in LA, Houston, and other very warm climate areas? Is the opposite true in Minnesota where everyone always waves?

Old 07-20-2007, 12:49 AM
wldhogn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Theory on waving - Regional thing?

Here in California I generally wave to all motorcycles whether they are Harleys or not. The non-Harleys are usually shocked when I wave and they are usually late in waving back. When I started going to Sturgis years ago I use to wave at everyone there .. but I soon learned with so many bikes on every road you ride on within a 50 mile radius of Sturgis .. you just get worn out waving. So in South Dakota no wave .. but in California yes.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:55 AM
whodman6
Novice

Serverpimp, I experienced the same thing in Phoenix, AZ last week. I rode around that place for nearly a week, waved at everyone on a bike, and rarely got a wave back. I began to wonder if there was some type of safety advisory in that area that recommended no waving. Even at the two Harley shops in the area I didn't feel a very warm reception. Maybe it is regional. At any rate, glad to be back in Cali where nearly everyone waves.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:41 AM
beemer737
Tourer

For those that don't wave, I am sometimes that guy. Sometimes I'm busy dodging cages,it looks like I don't wave, only cause I'm busy staying alive.

Second, I drive in Phoenix, have for 40 plus years, this place sucks with regards to other cagers NOT seeing you.

beemer737

Old 07-20-2007, 01:51 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: serverpimp

On a recent vacation to Daytona (live in Atlanta area) <snip>
FL rider here...

I live about an hour south of Daytona and notice the same thing. We wave a lot here in a small beach town but as you get closeer to Daytona (or any larger city here in FL) the time-share for waving diminishes. Like some others,I also think it's due to two things - heavier traffic plus so many ridersyou'd never be abe to use the clutch.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:37 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I try to get my wave in first. If they don't appear to be st5arting to wave back, just give them the bird. LOL

Old 07-20-2007, 04:03 AM
krgs2k
Cruiser

I live inDaytona Beach areaand if I waved at every bike I passed my arm would fall off.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:42 AM
SkydiveNavy
Intermediate

Howdy there,

I'm reporting from Missaukee County in northern Michigan (Lower Peninsula). Though we live in a rural area we've got lots of M/C riders up here. Heck, my new county only has some 14,500 people in it. One big attraction in this area are the beautiful Houghton & Higgins Lakes, mere minutes away on the bike. I see most folks ridin' Harleys and a large percentage of them are "Baggers" too.

I'm just so happy to be back in the States (used to live in Belize, Central America) that when I take my Ultra-Classic out for a scoot I end up waving at everyone. Ha hah... 95% of the time I'll get a friendly wave back, even from guys riding their metric cruisers and Wings, etc.

Another nice thing about living up here is that the pace of life is slower compared to the urban areas, such as Detroit or Lansing and because of this people are friendlier: they drive cautiously and with more
courtesy than city folks do (in my opinion).

If any of you fellers live close to me, we outta' get together for a scenic tour one day. Perhaps at the end of the ride we could enjoy a few "Cool Pops" together.

Take care, folks.

Respectfully,
Billy

"Who Dares, Wins"
Australian Special Air Service (SAS) slogan

"These are the things that ye shall do, Speak ye every man the truth to his neighbor; execute the judgment of truth and peace in your gates: and let none of you imagine evil in your hearts against his neighbor: and love no false oath: for all these are things that I hate, saith the LORD."Zechariah 8:16-17[Authorized Version of 1611 A.D., King James]

Old 07-20-2007, 05:04 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: RangeRat

ORIGINAL: serverpimp

On a recent vacation to Daytona (live in Atlanta area) <snip>
FL rider here...

I live about an hour south of Daytona and notice the same thing. We wave a lot here in a small beach town but as you get closeer to Daytona (or any larger city here in FL) the time-share for waving diminishes. Like some others,I also think it's due to two things - heavier traffic plus so many ridersyou'd never be abe to use the clutch.
yep i agree. i usually wave. i do it for me as much for them. i notice a metric/HD thang it seems. if im on my metric ill have a HD pull up next to me and never even look over. ill rid emy HD and that same guy near fall off his bike to wave. people are so wierd

Old 07-20-2007, 05:49 AM
badlandr
Road Captain

Heck I wave at them all its funny to me to see the Metric riders shock when they see a HD rider wave
I really don't even care if they wave back.

Quick Reply: Theory on waving - Regional thing?