Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theory on waving - Regional thing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:26 AM
RK_Dave
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Theory on waving - Regional thing?

I dont' mind waving. As most, I'll wait for the CR bikers to wave 1st, if they do, I do, if not, oh well. Funny, but most of the Chopper guys don't wave? What's up with that? Anyway, I'm a waver. If a biker is broke-down, I'll stop & try to help. I know I'd want help if I was broke-down. God know, almost no cars will stop. There was a kid on a CR broke-down last week. I stopped (driving my f-150) he couldn't beleive that someone would stop & help. He was from another state too. Then, he was twice as shocked when he saw my Harley sticker on my truck. "Wow dude, didn't think a Harley guy would stop to help" To which I said, " even though we (Harley) guys Might not wave to you, when a Biker is broke-down, we All need to stick together". He thought that was cool, and right. So, I told him, 'Remember that, next time you see Any biker broke-down" Even if you can't fix the problem, the moral support is Greatly needed.

Dave...

Old 07-20-2007, 11:32 AM
flsun1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Live in the Daytona Beach area and if I waved at every bike or even just HD's, I'd never be able to shift. I usually always return a wave but typically don't initiate it. The non-waving thing is especially noticable during Bike Week or Biketoberfest. Just toooo many bikes.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:40 AM
nujohn
Tourer

New York Harleys wave to Harleys , I uesd towaved to all bikers , and only got returns from HD riders so now I stick to my own kind

Old 07-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think bike density has a lot to do with it. Here on the rural Vermont and New Hampshire back roads, Imost alwaysget a wave back whether I'm on the Harley or metric. The number of wave backs goes way down during bike week when a lot of bikers are headed to and from Laconia. I'm not sure if it's due to the largenumber of bikes or if some of us are too busy working on our attitudes to wave.

The number of returned waves goes up in rainy weather and I can't remember not getting acknowledgment when I meet another idiot riding in sub-freezing weather.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:54 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

F wavers and waveys[sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=boosign.gif][sm=forgetit.gif] I got your wave[sm=shootshoot.gif]

Old 07-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Texas rider here. I see lots of waving, but usually only amongst similar cliques (sport bikes wave @ sport bikes, cruisers @ cruisers, etc).

I wave at anything on < 4 wheels when I can. I don't care what kind of bike it is. If I'm in a turn, or the clutch hand is busy I'll try to give a notable/pronounced nodin the direction of the other rider, but sometimes ya just can't do either in certain conditions. It's not being rude. It's just as someone else already stated...it's just about staying ALIVE.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:58 PM
SkydiveNavy
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: tbubbles

ORIGINAL: SkydiveNavy

Howdy there,

I'm reporting from Missaukee County in northern Michigan (Lower Peninsula)...
Hi back, from a (new) rider in Wexford County! My boyfriend and I always welcome fellow riders! I have a 1200L; he rides a Springer. Have you ridden up to Leelenau yet? Talk about a beautiful ride! Are you going to Sturgis by chance?
Howdy! sent you a P.M. a bit ago - invited you and your boyfriend to come and meet my wife Kelli Jo and I this weekend in Merritt. I'm new to Michigan - only been here some eight months. Ain't been to Leelanau yet though I'd be interested to hear what it's all about. Don't have the funds to do a Sturgis trip however...

Talk with ya' later alligator...

Billy

Old 07-20-2007, 03:01 PM
IronLegend
Tourer

Same like me. Don't wave?.... youget(what we call here in Canada), the Trudeau salute. If ya don't wanna wave then park the damnbike and get in your cage, simple as that.It's common courtesy amongstriders of any brand of biketo give a brief wave tothe other unless, as some others noted, if youhappen to be riding in a motorcycle abundant area where it maynot be practical or safe to do so.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:08 PM
fastony
Advanced

HD: 95%
Goldwing: nearly 100%
Sportbike: 50%
BMW: 10%

It really confuses the BMW riders

Old 07-20-2007, 04:21 PM
miller
2nd Gear

Most of the riders in Michigan all give a wave to each other, its actually funny when you with 10 -12 friends and you pass a large group of riders going the other way, its like a continual wave fest.
One of the only things my college age daughter wants to do with "dear old dad" any more is ride on the back of my Electra-glide and wave. She says that its cause shes cute and all the guys are waving just at her.
She could be right on that one

Quick Reply: Theory on waving - Regional thing?