Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theory on waving - Regional thing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Floridafred
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Theory on waving - Regional thing?

I wave at everyone here in South Florida and usually get it returned but you have to pay full attention to the cagers trying their best to kill you so sometimes I'm just too busy trying to stay alive.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:39 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

My policy is to always wave, even at riders who I know likely won't wave back. I've done an informal poll--just a mental thing, no strict records--on the frequency of wave-back by brand:

HD: 95%
Goldwing: nearly 100%
Sportbike: 50%
BMW: 10%

One day I was in the left-turn lane and six BMW riders pulled up next to me in the straight lane. I looked over and waved, something they couldn't have missed, but none of them even looked at me, let alone wave. There is no reason for this kind of snobbishness, judging people on what they ride, and I refuse to participate in it. OTOH, two of my best riding buddies ride BMW GS's and don't understand the snobbish attitudes of some of their friends, so they're not all snobs.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here outside of Augusta, GA, most everyone waves, even sport bikes. Where I grew up in Iowa, it was a Harley thing, but I think it has become everyone now (haven't lived there in 20 years). When I lived around Chicago, it was very hit and miss.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Sanebiker
Cruiser

I think its more a population density thing. The further out I am away from a metropolis the more waves I get. My conclusion is the real bikers are out riding and the posers just like do stay on Main St, therefore I get more waves out in the middle of no where cause thats where the REAL riders are, no mater what they're riding.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:45 AM
RBPerrie
Stage III

Up here in Pa I'd say about 80% of the time you'll get a wave. As everyone noted above you'll get more from HDs and less from CRs and BMWs. Overall I think it's a density issue. Last weekend went to the Gettysburg Bike Week and as the number of bikes went up the number of waves went down. When we got to the Gettysburg area it was cool to actually see more bikes on the road than cages. You actually couldn't wave if you wanted to, you'd just keep your arm out the whole time. On the way home as we got further and further away the waves started coming back.
A while back I kinda stopped waving at CRs and BMWs as they rarely waved back. It seemed their snobbishness was getting to me. So I decided that I'm just going to wave at everyone or at least a head nod when the clutch is out. I love the commraderie of biking and the wave is a glowing example of that kinship.
So wave on brothers, you're certain to get a wave back from me!

Old 07-20-2007, 10:05 AM
CornbredNE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in rural WV it's hard to tell exactly, but I would say that nearly all bikes wave back (unless the WV curves overtake and both hands are hanging on). But then again, out here even all the locals wave at each other and even to bikes, in a county of 10,000 it's a pretty good chance that even that car or p/u you're meeting you know so you end up waving to them too.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:24 AM
sknyfats
Road Captain

If someone waves at me - I'll wave back - whether they're on a HD, Honda, scooter, driving a bus or whatever. I won't ever initiate waves though. I'm sorry, but when I got my bike - I didn't sign anything or read in the owners manual thateveryone else on 2 wheels suddenly becamemy "brother or sister" - orhave some contract that said Ishould "stick together" with "our kind"...I prefer to treat everyone the same - bike rider, wheel chair bound, jogger, car rider, airline pilot - whatever. I'll be polite & coureous across the board - and wave to my friends & people I know without reservation...if you're broken down in a car, motorcycle or airplane - if I can swing it - I'll stop & offer you help. No one get's preferential treatement from me - well, except maybe pretty girls...

If you think about it - even the whole "biker comraderie" and things like the "waves" are what plants the seed at making an "us vs them" mentality when it comes to cars, other brands/types of bike riders and all of that jazz I see people complain about around here and elsewhere.

I'd say it may be regional in that people DO think different in different parts of the country. Some parts of the country - people worry about themselves and keep to themselves; other parts are overly hospitable & friendly - there's all kinds of attitudes in different regions...I don't think its anything more than that...to each his/her own I guess...

Old 07-20-2007, 10:29 AM
tbubbles
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: SkydiveNavy

Howdy there,

I'm reporting from Missaukee County in northern Michigan (Lower Peninsula)...
Hi back, from a (new) rider in Wexford County! My boyfriend and I always welcome fellow riders! I have a 1200L; he rides a Springer. Have you ridden up to Leelenau yet? Talk about a beautiful ride! Are you going to Sturgis by chance?

Old 07-20-2007, 10:30 AM
FLFOOL
Intermediate

I wave at everyone. When the nmber of bike are too many I flash my lights. The only ones who do not respond as a rule are: scooters, entry level bikes with goofy looking riders, choppers and some of the more insecure H-D riders.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:15 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't actually "wave", just kinda stick my arm out, pointing in their direction. I do it to all bikers, regardless.

Hack

Quick Reply: Theory on waving - Regional thing?