Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Shopping

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2020 | 06:13 PM
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by dawg
I’m gonna give the MC III’s a try when I need tires. I’ve been an Elite user up until now. I assume you’re going with the touring tire over cruising tire?
I wasn't aware of the 2 different options, I guess I need to go a little deeper into educating myself.

Old 03-05-2020 | 06:16 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 702
I wasn't aware of the 2 different options, I guess I need to go a little deeper into educating myself.
From another forum......

Thank you for contacting MICHELIN Consumer Care.

The MICHELIN Commander III Cruiser would be the direct replacement for the MICHELIN Commander II.

It really depends on the motorbike you have and the riding you plan on doing.

The main differences between the Cruiser and Touring versions are:

• The MICHELIN Commander III Touring is designed to withstand heavy luggage for long periods of time, with no compromise on durability..
• The MICHELIN Commander III Touring is designed to provide excellent longevity with enhanced wet grip with its new tread compounds 100% silica.
• The MICHELIN Commander III Cruiser is designed for cruisers that tend to travel short distances at a time.
• The MICHELIN Commander III Cruiser will provide better wet grip and durability then the Commander II.”

The following users liked this post:
702 (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020 | 06:25 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 702
Thank you for pointing that out.

I've only begun shopping today, but yes, I can get good prices online with free shipping and no sales tax. I'm not tooled up to install and balance them, so what I've found so far is that Cycle Gear will do it for $50 per tire if I remove the wheels and bring them in, which makes the quote I got today a little better than buying tires online. I appreciate your input though, thank you.
Yup, Cycle Gear and RevZilla are now owned by the same company so prices at cycle gear will be the same. I like RevZilla for the zillacash for future purchases🙂

The following 2 users liked this post by CGLTD:
702 (03-05-2020), Buster (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020 | 06:27 PM
|
Seasoned HDF Member

From another forum......
So, the cruiser is replacing the II in their lineup, and they just updated it and named it the III?

I ride solo 100% of the time, so it looks like either option would fit my needs. Rain isn't much of an issue here in the desert, but when I do get caught in it, the roads are so slick with oil no tire sticks well.

Old 03-05-2020 | 06:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

The groove design changed and the profile of the tire is more round than the II

Old 03-05-2020 | 06:38 PM
|
Seasoned HDF Member

The groove design changed and the profile of the tire is more round than the II
Ah, OK, got it. Thanks.

I think I'm selling myself on these tires even though no one that has them has chimed in yet. I have a couple thousand miles left in the factory Dunlops, so I have time to get smarter on them. 13.5k on my factory tires so far........

Old 03-06-2020 | 07:03 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by 702
I think I'm selling myself on these tires even though no one that has them has chimed in yet.
Well look at it this way, at some point in the near future, I/you/we won't have a choice any how once the CII's are obsolete and we still want our Michelin's on our bikes, right? May as well jump in and report back, lol! I just bought a full set of CII's at the 1st of the year so it'll be a minute before I'll be due for new ones and get to try the CIII's...........

Old 03-06-2020 | 07:30 AM
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Well look at it this way, at some point in the near future, I/you/we won't have a choice any how once the CII's are obsolete and we still want our Michelin's on our bikes, right? May as well jump in and report back, lol! I just bought a full set of CII's at the 1st of the year so it'll be a minute before I'll be due for new ones and get to try the CIII's...........
Haha, will do! I'm guessing that toward the end of the month I'll be needing new tires, stay tuned.

Old 03-06-2020 | 07:34 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 702
Ah, OK, got it. Thanks.

I think I'm selling myself on these tires even though no one that has them has chimed in yet. I have a couple thousand miles left in the factory Dunlops, so I have time to get smarter on them. 13.5k on my factory tires so far........
Dunno how its working with other HD models but the Dunlops which came on my 2014 Breakout and the aftermarket Dunlops I've been using since differ like night and day. I have no interest in the brand other than as a customer with a slight bias toward American made goods but based on my experience, it is a mistake to write off Dunlop based on OEM tire performance, (mine were crap !!) . I've been using E3's since and love em, especially for the price.

Based on reviews I've read over on the "Everything Breakout" forum, I wouldn't buy a Metzeler with someone else's money. Apparently their Brazilian made lines have had delaminating issues.

Based on Forum reviews, if I were to change brands it would be to something by Avon. Just my $0.02.

Old 03-06-2020 | 01:47 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Riders Club Member

How about the Night Dragons for touring bikes?

I loved my Night Dragons on my Dyna, even though they didn't last long
The Touring version is supposed to have longer life.

Quick Reply: Tire Shopping