Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm hurting, friend killed today on his new Harley

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:04 PM
flsun1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I'm hurting, friend killed today on his new Harley

So sorry to hear Hack. My deepest condolences. May he be ridin' in heaven now.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:05 PM
mtpoland
Cruiser

Sorry for your loss, Hack. Said a prayer for your friend and his family. The one thing I try to tell myself is that it was an accident; could have been a car or anything. When it's time, it's time. We lost a young friend of ours not long ago. She was 18 and had just graduated HS. She was coming home from work in a VW Jetta (we bought one for our daughter because we thought it be the safest car) and another car came across the 3 lane road and hit her head on. She had her seatbelt on and did everything right. You just never know.
Again, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,295 Likes on 1,405 Posts

ORIGINAL: btefft
am I nuts?
No you're not,so sorry about your friend but you know it could have happened just as fast in a cage and people die in them every day but no one talks about not driving after a friend or loved one gets in a car wreck do they.
We are more vunerable on bikes so we must be more carefull but we all take risks every day as soon as we get out of bed and we can't give up the things we love for the sake of safety without giving up the love of life it'self IMHO.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hack, So sorry to hear the tragic news....................... this is so sad................that's just terrible his wife saw the accident. [&o]Thoughts and prayers for you and your friend, and his family. Bryan

Old 07-19-2007, 07:14 PM
The Nev
Cruiser

First and foremost condolances and prayers to his family. Then the question are we carzy?
Thats a good question and I'm sure to a lot of folks the answer would be no doubt. I know for myself I skydive, scuba dive and ride a bike, I lost friends to all of those activities. But I think the real question is when do you feel most alive when your in your recliner with the remote in your hand or when your on the open road with the throttle in your hand? I lost my best friend and riding buddy to lung cancer at the age of 55 I don't know if it would have been more difficult had it been a accident or not all I do know is he's still gone and the memories are all that are left, but that's a lot.and I cherish them. Hope you find peace soon and can answer your own question ( are we crazy )?

Old 07-19-2007, 07:17 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about you Buddy...prayers have been said...
hang in there...

Old 07-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear of your loss Hack. Prayers are sent for the family and all of his friends, you included.

Whenever this happens, I do tend to stop and think briefly about our choices, but then I remember that life isn't safe, no matter what we do.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:20 PM
wldhogn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hack .. sorry for the loss of your dear friend.

Why do we ride? A fellow named Ken Stoner wrote a piece called "The Exective Rider" .. I think it says it all.

They ride for the freedom. They ride to get away . . . to see the countryside, to explore the back roads and mostly . . . just for the joy of it.

They ride as couples, and in small groups, taking 20-and 30-mile jaunts to their favorite restaurants and hangouts. They love the excitement of taking on an open road, devoid of four-wheelers (cars). They relish the freedom and thrill of letting go, and feeling the powerful Harley's engine as its strength grows and takes charge. It's experiencing the centrifugal force on long turns and gliding at speeds just within the law.

There's a mystique about it all and a love affair between rider and bike that only riders can describe. It's the smell of leathers, coffee and breakfast on an early morning tour that continues into the afternoon - taking a trip to nowhere in particular - just to cruise in some spontaneous, uninhibited way where you and your bike can become one.

Perhaps it's the feeling you get from the wind hitting your face, the sudden acceleration, or the constant vibration and loud hum. Maybe it's the fun of boulevarding down Main Street and showing off your metal to everyone who will look and to the wannabes along the way. It's a sharing thing, a bold, caring thing, that lets the little kid in you come out and play. It's a cross between a sport and a life style. It's shedding the confinements of day-to-day business and evolving into a completely different self. It's time to ride and time to be free.

Thanks to Ken Stoner for his thoughts.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Hack,

Your not any more nuts than the rest of us. Very sorry to hear about your friend and I just can't imagine how his wife will ever be able get the sight of that out of her head. I am certainly no bible thumper, but I do believe in God and believe that he decided when he would take me before I was ever born.

I try to say a quick prayer everytime I thumb the starter and fire up my RG and if I forget, I say it on the road. I guess the way I feel that when my number is up it's up and I might as well be doing something I love when the time comes.

Ride Safe!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:25 PM
scofield333
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So sorry to hear that..god be with you and his family. It the proce we all pay for doing what we love, Only time will heal the pain but we will never forget.. God bless and once again so sorry

Quick Reply: I'm hurting, friend killed today on his new Harley