Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here we go. Asking a newb question exhaust. Stock ac no tune m8

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 12:56 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts
Default Here we go. Asking a newb question exhaust. Stock ac no tune m8

Well. Got hooked up with a cheap *** danmoto 2 into 1. I have a 2017 m8 road glide.

I have not purchased a intake nor had my old powervision relicensed to this bike.

anyone know if the new m8s are ok if you just run a full exhaust and leave the factory intake with no tune

I know prebious models you could do either intake or full exhaust with no tune. But you couldnt do both intake and exhaust without tuning your bike.

basically i wanna bolt this pipe up and run it for a bit with stock a/c and stock tune.

Is that ok? I have no idea about these m8 motors

Old 02-21-2020, 06:51 AM
Hawg Runner
Road Master
Received 390 Likes on 238 Posts

I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, but I would say it's ok. You can always give Fuel Moto a call and ask them to be sure.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:53 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

I doubt you will hurt the engine in anyway and it may or may not effect performance. My concern would be the pipes. I have had a lean tune turn a major brand name muffler blue and we all know factory tunes are very lean.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:19 AM
RAVAGE88
Intermediate
Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

With closed loop ESPFI and riding around mostly within a quarter throttle condition with NB O2, it won’t hurt anything at all. I tested this with my own bike (‘19 EGS) and the performance difference without retuning was substantial. Looking at the AFR and other charts, there’s plenty of range within the factory tune to accommodate uncorking the intake and exhaust.

I didn’t retune until I changed the factory headpipes but I’m still running the factory NB O2. I was thinking I’d re-cam but I have gobs of low end torque the way I’m set up now, but I will be going WB O2 with the Auto Tuner pretty soon because I’ll be 10,000 feet higher in the Summer.

MB

Old 02-21-2020, 09:40 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 482 Likes on 231 Posts

I'm no expert but everything I've read says you'll be way too lean. They're arguably too lean right from the factory, so a pipe will only make it worse. I personally wouldn't run it without a tune, but that's just me. Enter at your own risk.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:48 AM
RAVAGE88
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Puglia10
I'm no expert but everything I've read says you'll be way too lean. They're arguably too lean right from the factory, so a pipe will only make it worse. I personally wouldn't run it without a tune, but that's just me. Enter at your own risk.
Actually, comparing the Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR) charts for the actual tunes, they’re not “too lean” from the factory. There are times the ECM will command a lean or rich condition, but it’s based on numerous variables but never during a cruise condition. And again, I’ve tested this myself and compared the numbers. Additionally, without changing the air cleaner, you’re not allowing any more air into the engine than what was allowed prior to changing the exhaust, so the tune doesn’t need to change.

MB

Last edited by RAVAGE88; 02-21-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:39 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by RAVAGE88
Actually, comparing the Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR) charts for the actual tunes, they’re not “too lean” from the factory. There are times the ECM will command a lean or rich condition, but it’s based on numerous variables but never during a cruise condition. And again, I’ve tested this myself and compared the numbers. Additionally, without changing the air cleaner, you’re not allowing any more air into the engine than what was allowed prior to changing the exhaust, so the tune doesn’t need to change.

MB

I also was seeing reports tgat the m8 is not lean from the factory.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:11 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 482 Likes on 231 Posts

Hm, interesting. I dont know enough to argue lol, but some really reputable tuners on the M8 facebook group have said they've dyno'd them and theyre very lean from the factory. I would tend to believe that considering all the EPA emissions stuff.
My stock bike/pipe gets hot as hell which also tells me its lean, but I've also never had a bike with a cat before.
I am personally waiting to do tune, AC, and pipe all at once, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

If not lean, I would think it'd run poorly? My 08 did just from switching to duals to 2-1 without a tune.
If you do go forward, come back with your results, now I'm curious!

Old 02-21-2020, 06:09 PM
RAVAGE88
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Puglia10
Hm, interesting. I dont know enough to argue lol, but some really reputable tuners on the M8 facebook group have said they've dyno'd them and theyre very lean from the factory. I would tend to believe that considering all the EPA emissions stuff.
My stock bike/pipe gets hot as hell which also tells me its lean, but I've also never had a bike with a cat before.
I am personally waiting to do tune, AC, and pipe all at once, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

If not lean, I would think it'd run poorly? My 08 did just from switching to duals to 2-1 without a tune.
If you do go forward, come back with your results, now I'm curious!
Gotcha, haven't seen any of that but will take a look to see if I can draw a reference. Basing my comments on the many bikes I've built along with the tuning and testing I've done on the TC and M8.

MB

Old 02-21-2020, 09:07 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member

Even though the 5 year old in me wants to bolt up the pipe and run it..... i should get an intake and tune. Prob will just do tune and then once i sell myself on the corner pick up an intake.

Lol.

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate the responces

Quick Reply: Here we go. Asking a newb question exhaust. Stock ac no tune m8