Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

San Diego Customs bagger seat with backrest review

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 04:51 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts
Default San Diego Customs bagger seat with backrest review

Figured id give it a solid week before throwing this up and get some proper miles in first.

New san diego customs bagger seat with 3 position lower lumbar support.

Diamond stitch
Gripper seat fabric
Built by saddleman
Backrest with 3 positions
Gel under driver and passenger
Felted bottom of seat

Ok so there a a ton of 2up seats now adays. Saddleman , Bmc, luckdaves, mustang...etc...

I have riden mustang, bmc and now san diego customs variant.

i wanted to get some pics up and if there are any questions let me know.

After a week of riding i have to say the thought process on this seat is great. First off it does not feel like it needs breaking in. The gel insert is a great touch and definatley shines over the previous seats i have owned over the years.

2nd is the backrest. Not only is it low profile and looks good. It has a forward slant to its articulation. My mustang seat had a backrest but was a large oval, flatish surface that does not compare to this seats streamlined look and lower lumbar support.

It has 3 positions and you can also take it out of the seat and put on there supplied backrest slot cover.

I really feel this seat looks great and also performs as it should.

Bmc seat i had them custom make a backwall height to hit my lower lumbar and also a tailbone dishout to not have any unwanted pressure on long mile trips.

This seat in stock form feels better than any other seat i have riden. It doesnt look like the bulky mustang super tour seat with backrest i previously rode to obtain lower back comfort.

This is sleek and works with the lines of the bike without looking bulky or way to much of a seat vs the asthetics of the bike.

I got into this seat for $650 and thought it would be a compramise between the bulky mustang seat and a low profile one. Meaning i was gonna give up some comfort or back support to have a more attractive seat. Well i was wrong. This seat does everything im looking for. Great paddin . Great back support and great asthetics( at least to me)

You can see in the pics the different materials.

Carbon Fiber weave, perforated weave, smooth texture in places too

Last edited by gartec81; 02-17-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:40 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,894 Likes on 984 Posts

Sweet looking seat there Gartec. However, like all seats, comfort and fit are very subjective person to person.

I would have to actually sit on one and judge if it’s right for me. I chose the Mustang Vintage Solo (for my bagger) because it sits me further back, and a little bit higher than most other seats out there. While it isn’t the coolest looking seat, for me, the fit and comfort for a long ride is excellent (especially with the backrest).

Most Harley type seats sit too damn low for me. I have long legs, and most of those dished out, low riding seats make me feel like I’m squatting, with my knees way up high. I hate this position.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:28 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts

Well in comparison this is a thick seat. I agree its subjective. Cronic back issues always lead me to the super thick seats that are also super wide.

My back goes out a few times a year so im glad that tgere is a seat in the market that looks good, hits the spots on my back i know need support and also feels way better for saddle time than the super thick muatang super tourer.

Im goinh to measure but i feel this seat is thicker than the mustang touring seat, but it doesnt have the look of a seat that belongs on a tractor

Last edited by gartec81; 02-17-2020 at 08:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gartec81:
TexasD (10-18-2020), Then Came Bronson (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 02:14 PM
ajcjr
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

thanks for the review

The following users liked this post:
gartec81 (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 03:54 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,558 Likes on 808 Posts

I had the same seat (minus the backrest) on my Low Rider and I'm really tempted to get it again for my Road King Special but I'd like to try a Lucky Dave's seat. It's like an office chair, firm and supportive.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:49 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,960 Likes on 1,763 Posts
Default San Diego Seat

Nice seat. Saddleman builds some nice seats. I wish they would build something wider for a Ultra style bike, say 17 inches across the front and 16 in the passenger area. Nice seats just too narrow for us bigger folks..

Old 02-23-2020, 07:57 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,894 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by gartec81
Im goinh to measure but i feel this seat is thicker than the mustang touring seat, but it doesnt have the look of a seat that belongs on a tractor

Hahaha! I hear ya. The Mustang Vintage Solo isn't exactly the prom queen at the homecoming dance, but what she lacks in looks/style, she definitely makes up for it with comfort and function. I've ridden San Diego to San Francisco a few times with only gas stops, and wasn't in the least bit sore. The back rest on the Vintage Solo works like a champ, and the seat is a winner (albeit a bit homely) for long range comfort.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:31 AM
timbits588
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice write-up! Thanks for taking the time

Old 02-23-2020, 08:54 AM
Chad1200
Road Master
Received 286 Likes on 176 Posts

Good review and nice Road Glide.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:04 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 232 Likes on 136 Posts

An attractive seat with some good thought put into it. Looks great for the rider with some nice lumbar support.

However, the passenger pillion might not be conducive to maintaining a positive marital relationship.

The following users liked this post:
Bobby-b (12-05-2022)

Quick Reply: San Diego Customs bagger seat with backrest review