Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

San Diego Customs bagger seat with backrest review

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 08:47 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

That is a clean looking seat man.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:56 AM
Lu
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice seat, I like the low profile backrest. Can you change the angle of the seat post when it is inserted in the built-in slot receiver? it looks like there are two slots so you can move the backrest - aft or forward?

Old 05-21-2020, 11:03 PM
David Callaway
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is fantastic. Thank you so much for doing this review. I cannot find anything decent. I have been looking at this seat and seeing it on the bike and your review just sold me.

Old 09-15-2020, 09:46 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 482 Likes on 231 Posts

@gartec81 Now more time has passed, do you still feel the same about this seat? Have you done any long days? And also, any word on the passenger section? Gotta try to keep the wife happy.

What about position...would you say it sits you up, down, forward or back from stock?

I have a drag predator 3 right now but it sits me a bit too far back with being short.

looking for a comfy seat (have a bad back also) that doesn't look like a couch..the backrest looks like a real nice touch....thanks!

Old 09-15-2020, 01:18 PM
David Callaway
Stage III

I got this seat about two months ago due to his review and the awesome pics. I have it on my 2017 Fat Bob and I LOVE this thing. It's great on short and long rides. Riding without the backrest you are still in a pretty decent position so as to not put a lot of fatigue on your back. It will sit you up a bit higher and forward so that may help you out. The backrest has three different position. When it is all the way down it does sit at the belt line like he said and can be a bit uncomfortable. Easy solution is just to push your waist band down a bit and you're good to go. Second higher up is perfect for me. Sits right at my L4-S1 when I had my surgery. When wearing my vest the band around the bottom can be a bit uncomfortable like the belt issue. But just pull your vest up a tad bit and also good to go. I love that the backrest fits in my saddlebags so I can use put it on or take it off when I need to. I regularly do this at lights while waiting for it to change and have yet to have a light turn green while swapping the backrest for the velcro patch or the other way around.

Once thing I would like to see which I think would resolve a lo of the discomfort with the belt and the vest bottom. Only one part of the seat back actually rests against your back and then it slants backward. If the whole seatback were at the same angle as the base of it that would resolve those issues. The attached pic should give you an idea of what I mean. I would still recommend this seat to anyone that asks though.

The following users liked this post:
Puglia10 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 01:36 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts

this seat is as good now as it was new. good for long hauls as well as short.

comments:
1st. the little backrest pad is affixed with one bolt. if you dont loctite it it will get a little loose and your backrest pad will swivel. wish it had 2 bots so it would never spin. not a big deal, again loctite fixed that for me.

2nd. the backrest is not for lean back on it and put your feet up. the seat puts you in a slightly forward leaning or attacking position. If I lean all 270lbs of myself on the backrest, just dead weight leaning... and then hit a big bump, the backrest will drop a notch from your chosen level. so I lean on it pretty heavy but when I see a big bump, I take a little pressure off the backrest so it doesn't bump itself into a different height setting.

all in all it's a great seat though and I would buy another if I had a 2nd touring bike. usually a good looking seat is just that... good looking but sucks anything over 30 miles. this seat does both and the back support is perfect positioning for my screwed up back.

I would highly recommend this seat to everyone.

QUOTE=Puglia10;19400906]@gartec81 Now more time has passed, do you still feel the same about this seat? Have you done any long days? And also, any word on the passenger section? Gotta try to keep the wife happy.

What about position...would you say it sits you up, down, forward or back from stock?

I have a drag predator 3 right now but it sits me a bit too far back with being short.

looking for a comfy seat (have a bad back also) that doesn't look like a couch..the backrest looks like a real nice touch....thanks![/QUOTE]

Old 09-15-2020, 02:45 PM
David Callaway
Stage III

@gartec81 I'm not sure f you tried this yet to deal with the sliding backrest. There are holes in the part that goes into the seat. I put a bolt in there and loctited it so it wouldn't come off. It doesn't slide at all anymore no matter how much I lean on it. Granted. I do not move it from the second spot. So if you are into moving the backrest up and down this idea may not be for you.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:25 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 482 Likes on 231 Posts

thanks for the reply! of course out of all my options this is the most expensive, but if its as good as it sounds itll be worth it.

comfort first
also look cool
backrest/push a little forward

Old 10-27-2020, 06:43 PM
Dixon Tarave
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

delete

Old 12-30-2020, 07:53 PM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,214 Likes on 599 Posts

I just bought this seat today and I am looking forward to getting it.
It took a long time for me to choose and I was going for the lucky Dave’s get lucky seat.
But I went back to this one, here’s to hoping it’s the right choice.

Quick Reply: San Diego Customs bagger seat with backrest review