Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mustang Touring Seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:48 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default New Mustang Touring Seat

I sold my Sundowner because primarily I just couldn't get used to the look, but also because I believed there was a more comfortable touring seat out there. I have several low profile seats that I love, including a Mustang Daytripper, but there are those times that nothing will do but a good solidcomfortable touring seat. I'm planning several long day trips, as well as 2 overnighters this summer, and thought I had ordered the seat that would take me there. A couple of impressions on the Mustang Deluxe One Piece Touring Seat,part # 75464 (17" Front/14" Rear).

-I am consistently amazed at the high quality of their products. They just reek of quality and for a BIG seat, it actually looks decent on my Street Glide, certainly better than the Sundowner to my eye.

-GREAT passenger pillion at 14". The best part according to my wife is that it doesn't force her legs apart real wide (I hope this thread doesn't turn into jokes on that play on words.

-Front bucket is not really much of a bucket. To be fair, I have read all of the feedback, such as "seat moves you closer, seat moves you up an inch or so, and you sit more on than in", but I read so many positives that I thought it was the seat for me. I don't think it will be.

It is a nice wide platform but somehow it doesn't feel right to mylegs, the back of the seat isn't quite tall enough, and seems to dig into my lower back at just the wrong angle. The seat forces you to sit very straight, which I suppose is good, but not very comfortable to me, and as noted I've found that my otherwise perfect height touring windshields are now a bit too low, even my Cee Bailey 13" SSC.

I have a total of 40 miles on it from last night, so I haven't given it much of a chance, but typically with things like this, they don't get much better for me, I just tend to suffer through them.

So my post is intended for two things:

1) I will sell this seat if I can get a reasonable amount of my money back on it. It's obviously a brand new seat. I paid $355 shipped and will ship it to someone who wants it for $325 shipped. If you can find a better price, please let me know.

2) What seat will keep me sitting at least as low as stock or lower, has plenty of passenger comfort for 500 mile minimum trips, and ideally doesn't move me closer to the tank?

I plan to start the shopping again, but after a 2 week wait for this seat, and just getting it yesterday, I'm bummed that is doesn't appear it's going to work out. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on touring seats that work for other Road King, StreetGlilde, FLHT riders.

Thanks

Old 07-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Ron H
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Mustang Touring Seat

I sent my stock SG seat to Allan at MeanCityCycles, and he added memory foam, lowered me a couple of inches, and moved me forward an inch or so (at my request). I've spent a couple of thousand miles on it since the modification, and I am very satisfied with it. It is very comfortable. Even after a long day, there's no butt discomfort. Allan may be an option for you.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:16 PM
jdag
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchsed a Corbin Dual Touring seat recently. I had it built with a "nose job" to provide a narrower front portion and better leg reach. I think it is absolutely fantastic, comfortable from day 1.

Bought it from Tracie at Krooners for $675 shipped for the heated version (list is $899). She offered the non-heated at $650, so it was a no brainer for me to get the heated.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glider, does Mustang offer a return policy for your seat, or is it put-it-on-and-forgetaboutit? Do they offer a Solo with Rider Backrest for your bike? I found this is true LazyBoy comfort for all-day riding, and the 14" passenger pillion is miles beyond the stocker. Although you may sit a bit more forward, a couple weeks of riding will stop you from thinking that (unless you're taller than 6'1" of course).

Old 07-19-2007, 12:50 PM
cybdet
Cruiser

I have the narrow Mustang solo with backrest. So far Itis the most comfortable seat I have owned to date (Corbin, sundowner, lapera, etc.) Right out of the box I took a 3000 mile journey throughout the Eastern US (North to South and back) and had no problem (longest day was from Atlanta, GA to Ocean City Md-13 Hours w/stops). Yes the seat did put me slightly closer and slightly higher, but I was extremely comfortable and that what counts on a LONG journey. For around town I use the stock seat (Street Glide). JMHO.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:52 PM
beemer737
Tourer

Mustang has a 30 day money back i think, thats what they said when I got my seat three weeks ago. I love mine so no issue. Now, i think that policy only applies if you by direct from them, don't know about resellers.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:38 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Ron H

I sent my stock SG seat to Allan at MeanCityCycles, and he added memory foam, lowered me a couple of inches, and moved me forward an inch or so (at my request). I've spent a couple of thousand miles on it since the modification, and I am very satisfied with it. It is very comfortable. Even after a long day, there's no butt discomfort. Allan may be an option for you.
Thanks, yeah I did that too...and love the seat, but it's still not what I would consider a long range touring seat by it's basic design.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:39 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jdag

I purchsed a Corbin Dual Touring seat recently. I had it built with a "nose job" to provide a narrower front portion and better leg reach. I think it is absolutely fantastic, comfortable from day 1.

Bought it from Tracie at Krooners for $675 shipped for the heated version (list is $899). She offered the non-heated at $650, so it was a no brainer for me to get the heated.
I'm thinking that is the route I need to go actually. I used to have a Corbin Solo that I liked a lot on my Fatboy. I'll check Krooners.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:40 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Firetender

Glider, does Mustang offer a return policy for your seat, or is it put-it-on-and-forgetaboutit? Do they offer a Solo with Rider Backrest for your bike? I found this is true LazyBoy comfort for all-day riding, and the 14" passenger pillion is miles beyond the stocker. Although you may sit a bit more forward, a couple weeks of riding will stop you from thinking that (unless you're taller than 6'1" of course).
Only if you purchased directly from them and I didn't

Old 07-19-2007, 01:43 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Does anyone use the C&C touring seat they advertise? What about the any of the Danny Gray seats on Ebay from American Classic Motors, (other than the "Big Seat") which I understand just really isn't very comfortable? There are several others on there that are either direct Danny Gray labeled seats or Drag Specialities by Danny Gray.

Quick Reply: New Mustang Touring Seat