Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back wheel REALLY hard to turn when adjusting pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 08:03 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,165 Likes on 6,705 Posts

try turning in the opposite direction. If it doesn't loosen up, or if it does an then stops again, you have a pushrod adjusted too tight.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:36 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,313 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Not2day, while the OP is doing his thing, you might want to work on your "Posting" skills ... just sayin'

The following 2 users liked this post by multihdrdr:
Jaftica (02-17-2020), shaggieshapiro (02-17-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:37 AM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by hepkat63
ok guys, just want to check my method as well - starting to doubt myself! So, I start by having all four adjustable pushrods completely collapsed - zero turned out. Then, I want to start with the rear cylinder, so I turn the motor in direction of travel until exhaust pushrod on rear cylinder goes up, then down, then intake of rear cylinder goes up then down, then check that piston on rear cylinder is at top dead centre (with pencil and flashlight down sparkplug hole). Then on the rear cylinder pushrods, screw out the exhaust pushrod by hand until there is no up and down slack. When there is no up/down slack, then turn adjuster down four full turns (as per S&s instructions), then lock off with nut. move to rear cylinder intake pushrod and do the same as above.
Once their done, - move the motor around again in direction of travel until front exhaust pushrod goes up, then down and then front intake pushrod goes up then down - then check that front cylinder is on top dead center. Adjust both front cylinder pushrods in the same was as above.
Does that all sound right please?
I don’t see the part where you let the lifters bleed down....very important step that if missed will give you lots of problems....

The following users liked this post:
Zonktified (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:43 AM
Not2day
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Not2day, while the OP is doing his thing, you might want to work on your "Posting" skills ... just sayin'

Your right, sorry I was still half asleep ☹ hope I got it right this time, I'll practice more tomorrow, don't have time today.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:37 AM
hepkat63
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks all... so, I've done the procedure, as I outlined up above - turning wheel by hand each time. Did two pushrods on back cylinder whilst on TDC, then let bleed down, then did front cylinder the same way - at TDC. I think that (obviously) it was the first time I've done this with adjustable pushrods, my issues where:
1. Wasn't expecting that rear wheel would be as hard to push as it was.
2. That when the cylinder you're working on is at TDC and you take the lash out of the adjustable pushrod by hand, i was actually screwing it by hand down too far. After the adjustable pushrod had made contact with the lifter and rocker so that there was no up/down movement, I kept adjusting by hand until I could not spin the adjustable pushrod by hand - THEN i adjusted it down the four turns and awaited for it to bleed down. Of course, it did not and hence why I questioned by method.
3. Once I realized my mistake (at 2. above) - it seemed to have worked fine as after the adjustment, there was just enough give to spin the adjustable pushrods by hand (the lifters were brand new and they'd bled down due to the previous incorrect adjustment)..
thanks again for all your help guys - sorry to take up your time with my error.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:58 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Live and Learn ... you won't do that again

I wondered about that, but this is where explanations in TEXT (and Omissions from the TEXT) can cause issues in conveying important information.

First Quote was described correctly, but wasn't performed correctly ... You didn't just remove the "Lash", you removed all the "Travel"

The "Take Away" here was that you did NOT hit the Starter and that's a good thing

Originally Posted by hepkat63
ok guys, just want to check my method as well - starting to doubt myself! So, I start by having all four adjustable pushrods completely collapsed - zero turned out. Then, I want to start with the rear cylinder, so I turn the motor in direction of travel until exhaust pushrod on rear cylinder goes up, then down, then intake of rear cylinder goes up then down, then check that piston on rear cylinder is at top dead centre (with pencil and flashlight down sparkplug hole). Then on the rear cylinder pushrods, screw out the exhaust pushrod by hand until there is no up and down slack. When there is no up/down slack, then turn adjuster down four full turns (as per S&s instructions), then lock off with nut. move to rear cylinder intake pushrod and do the same as above.
Once their done, - move the motor around again in direction of travel until front exhaust pushrod goes up, then down and then front intake pushrod goes up then down - then check that front cylinder is on top dead center. Adjust both front cylinder pushrods in the same was as above.
Does that all sound right please?

Last edited by multihdrdr; 02-16-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:13 PM
Not2day
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Live and Learn ... you won't do that again

I wondered about that, but this is where explanations in TEXT (and Omissions from the TEXT) can cause issues in conveying important information.

First Quote was described correctly, but wasn't performed correctly ... You didn't just remove the "Lash", you removed all the "Travel"

The "Take Away" here was that you did NOT hit the Starter and that's a good thing
You definitely get my vote as being the best poster on any forum I've been on, hopefully with a little more practice I can get better, on a side note if you read the whole thing from the start I'm pretty sure I was the the first one to tell him not to touch the starter thank you very much, not looking for a pat on the back "just saying "

Old 02-16-2020, 12:29 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Mom is that you? ... so that's the Username you're using now

The following users liked this post:
Jaftica (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 12:47 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Glad he found out the problem.
And now he thinks he is out of the woods!

OP, are you sure you got those pushrod tube O-rings in correctly?????

Old 02-17-2020, 08:52 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
Glad he found out the problem.
And now he thinks he is out of the woods!

OP, are you sure you got those pushrod tube O-rings in correctly?????

That's just plain mean........

Quick Reply: Back wheel REALLY hard to turn when adjusting pushrods