Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth to wireless ear buds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 03:02 PM
KNicholas2
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth to wireless ear buds?

With the availability of such small wireless, USB earbuds - there must (or should) be a way to convert the HD Infotainment into a standard bluetooth signal.
I do heave the the Sena Freewire and frankly it is a disappointment. The propitiatory signal will only transmit to a Sena receiver on the helmet. I'm frankly ok with that, but the in-helmet speakers are awful.
The "new" HD wireless system also uses a propitiatory bluetooth/wifi system.

I want to use my small, in-ear wireless USB ear buds to listen to the infotainment system. (I am not interested in transmitting via phone, intercom or CB). Just listen......

Does anyone know of a system? I have reached out to Sena several times and they have not had the courtesy of even a form-letter email.

Regards,

KNicholas2

The following users liked this post:
WolfDog (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 05:59 PM
sleighcrane
Tourer
Received 131 Likes on 77 Posts

Interested as well but I am under the impression that helmet speakers are legal whereas ear buds are not. Sena makes Bluetooth helmets anybody try one of those? That looks to be the easiest way to get music on my king

Old 02-01-2020, 06:34 PM
DEPANAM
Cruiser
Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Dealt with this when the BMW K1600 first came out and the bluetooth system sucked (still does). What I wanted was just what you describe, a way to essentially listen to whatever the speakers would normally pump out. Nothing else. No other bells and whistles.
What I did then was to wire the speakers with a switch to put the output to a jack, which I plugged into a bluetooth transmitter. Was a lot more complicated than I expected (slept through the electrical engineering classes), so I had a buddy do it for me. Needed some circuitry to provide the right amount of impedance (I'm guessing here). Anyway, the result was I would just 'use' the speakers, flip a switch and the output would go to the bluetooth transmitter. I would pair some bluetooth earbuds to the transmitter and all was good with the world.
Here's one for $24 on
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-01-2020, 08:00 PM
KNicholas2
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are getting close..... but I don't have the expertise to hack the 7 pin connector from the Ultra Limited. I was hoping the the Freewire would have an aux out port. No luck.
Regarding the legality - I often ride with ear plugs and have music playing in the helmet speakers. I can't imagine ear buds alone being more restrictive or illegal.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:51 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,277 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Legal-schmegal........ none of my bikes have ever been legal. Between aftermarket exhausts, cams, tuners, and whatever...... earbuds are the least of my worries. I've worn LG Tones for years to block wind noise and listen to the 1000's of songs I have on Spotify while riding around in the mountains and deserts. Great sound quality at any speed. Plus, if the wife or kids REALLY want to contact me, it will read out loud any text messages that I get. I love them. I will set up my Google Maps to give me directions to BFE and input it on the bikes GPS display, and then I watch the map and listen to the directions from Google in my ears. I guess if someone really wanted to listen to AM/FM radio, that could be done as well? But I like my Spotify playlist with no commercials.....

What is it that you want to hear from the stock HD infotainment system that you can't get on your phone?

Old 04-14-2020, 03:57 PM
PJsHarley
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KNicholas2
With the availability of such small wireless, USB earbuds - there must (or should) be a way to convert the HD Infotainment into a standard bluetooth signal.
I do heave the the Sena Freewire and frankly it is a disappointment. The propitiatory signal will only transmit to a Sena receiver on the helmet. I'm frankly ok with that, but the in-helmet speakers are awful.

I want to use my small, in-ear wireless USB ear buds to listen to the infotainment system. (I am not interested in transmitting via phone, intercom or CB). Just listen......

Does anyone know of a system? I have reached out to Sena several times and they have not had the courtesy of even a form-letter email.

Regards,

KNicholas2
I use the FREEWire and just removed the helmet speakers from the Sena and use wired earbuds. There is a jack on the back side of the Sena. I get to use everything. Sounds good, depending on the buds. Dont know a way to do wireless though.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:27 AM
WHS
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DEGLIDE114
Dealt with this when the BMW K1600 first came out and the bluetooth system sucked (still does). What I wanted was just what you describe, a way to essentially listen to whatever the speakers would normally pump out. Nothing else. No other bells and whistles.
What I did then was to wire the speakers with a switch to put the output to a jack, which I plugged into a bluetooth transmitter. Was a lot more complicated than I expected (slept through the electrical engineering classes), so I had a buddy do it for me. Needed some circuitry to provide the right amount of impedance (I'm guessing here). Anyway, the result was I would just 'use' the speakers, flip a switch and the output would go to the bluetooth transmitter. I would pair some bluetooth earbuds to the transmitter and all was good with the world.
Here's one for $24 on Amazon.

I've got the same Bluetooth transmitter but plugged into an Aerostich adapter recommended to me by fellow forum member Hoyt1911A1.

This in turn plugs into the bike's dash headset connector.
It just tucks under the front edge of the seat.

I use an el cheapo eBay helmet intercom thingy which connects seamlessly to the Bluetooth transmitter.

Sorted .....and not 1 wire was harmed .....

Last edited by WHS; 04-15-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:44 AM
adam_nrod
Banned
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by KNicholas2

Regards,

KNicholas2
There is. It is called a blue tooth transmitter. Make sure it supports both Bluetooth 5 and AptX. AptX means low latency for audio.
Check Amazon for "bluetooth audio transmitter"

Old 04-18-2020, 01:28 AM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 183 Posts

I am confused by all of these crazy work arounds. Why not just buy a WHIM if you already have a Sena headset? Or just pair your wireless headphones, like the Apple AirPods, directly to your phone?

Old 04-18-2020, 06:31 AM
WHS
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

In my case my lady & I wanted to listen to the same tunes but neither of us are fans of the bikes speakers blaring away. We have several CDs full of mp3 tunes that we like .
I wanted to still be able to use the handlebar controls to control my music and did not want my phone mounted on the bars.

She uses normal wired earbuds into the aerostich adapter into the pillion headset port.

As I mentioned, I use a wireless helmet headset that talks to the bluetooth transmitter that connects to the aerostich adapter on the bikes dash headset port.
When I'm not using that particular helmet I can also use normal wired earbuds.

Straightforward, cheap & easy....

<edit> here's the link for those aerostich adapters :
https://www.aerostich.com/intercom-system-adapter.html

You lose the intercom functionality but we've never used that anyhow.

Last edited by WHS; 04-18-2020 at 06:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth to wireless ear buds?