Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

User Review of the ITM HD1 ABS Bleeding tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 06:40 PM
rozemab
Cruiser
Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
Default User Review of the ITM HD1 ABS Bleeding tool

I own a 2009 FLHRC with ABS. This is not my first ABS motorcycle. I have had owned several BMW models with ABS non integral and integral systems. I understand ABS can save you life; or it can take it away too if neglected.
On my BMWs I have had two ABS integrated systems crash and burn on me. One was repaired at $500. The other raped me at $1700, because it could not be repaired, new only, no 3rd party repairs.

I have read and watched many HD ABS bleeding maintenance reviews and I cringe when someone states "The entire ABS system is flushed by simply pumping the front or rear brakes while bleeding at the calipers." This is not true.

In the simplistic diagram below, the paths high-lited in yellow are the only paths that are flushed using the lever or foot brake. The ABS system is isolated (by design) from normal brake operation. Paths in red are isolated and cannot be flushed (especially the accumulator) manually. You need some type of tool to exercise the apply and release valves, as well as the hydraulic pump, in an organized manner. (And forget about trying to skid your bike, as I have read in some posts.)

With that said, I wanted to share with the forum on my initial experience using the ITM HD1 ABS bleeding tool offered by Info Tech Mercenary.

web site: http://infotechmercenary.com/shop

Disclaimer: I'm only a customer that has years of experience with ABS systems on motorcycles. I learned the hard way that neglecting ABS maintenance is like dodging traffic on the highway. Lucky now, road kill later

I learned about the ITM tool from this website. I knew I needed a tool to flush the entire system, and I knew the digital assistant (HD tools) is not available so I needed to look at 3rd party solutions. I own a FP3; there were some promises the FP3 was going to be upgraded to allow user ABS flushing. My last correspondence with V&H was not good. The response was "If and when the enhancement is introduced, there is no ETA....." rats

The Daytona Twin Tec solution (where the graphic above is from....) was too expensive. The ITM hit the sweet spot in one major way, The cost of the tool was about the same as one HD dealer visit to flush my brakes. To me the flushing is mandatory. Every two years (or less!) it needs to be performed. $$, $$. $$. Not a difficult decision for me to make.

This is what the tool look like out of the package. (The tool was shipped using USPS priority service. The contents were well protected.)
Included with the cable and tablet were user login information and instructions.

The cable communicates with the tablet using bluetooth. Also, you need an internet connection to validate your license to use the tool. Appears to only touch validation once per session.

The pen is to show some type of scale to you.

The Acer tablet (B1-850 model) with 1 gig video, 16gig cpu memory. The blue tooth device is to the right. Power is obtained from the Bus connector.

Configuring the tablet is establishing a connection to your internet WIFI. The software for ITM is installed and configured to find and connect to the bluetooth device in the harness.

You basically hook the harness to your bus port, turn your m/c on, then start the ITM app on the tablet.

What I found in my initial setup and inspection:

The Good:
  • The tablet is a name brand Manufacturer (Acer) and is decently configured, (1g video, 16 gig cpu).
  • The ABS bluetooth hardness is very well built. It will stand up to a shop environment.
  • No login is needed for the tablet. Just turn it on and you reach home page of the device.
  • The four steps in the instructions (and in the app) are exactly the same steps one would find in the factory ABS bleeding section in the manual.
  • It works extremely well! That is why I bought it.
Areas that I feel need to be addressed:
  • The tablet did not come with an USB charger or USB cable. I had some at home to use. But, I feel they should be included as I'm positive they are included with a new tablet. (Thinking about it.... the tablet was not in a factory box etc. I can understand that state because it is preconfigured for the buyer. But no other paperwork like warranty card, or quick start guide, was with the package.}
  • Case is white. Not good in a shop environment. Luckily cheap cases and nice screen (glass) protection is available on Amazon etc.
  • The Android version is 5,1. The manu date is 2016. I'm an Apple ipad user so I'm not sure it that makes a difference. Since it works, it is a moot point to me.
  • Practically all the installed apps (less ITM app of course) were very outdated. I spent the afternoon updating the apps, (I found one app that would not update because of 5.1.) Not a show stopper since I can play Pandora and Amazon prim music as-is.
  • Unclear it the tool is locked to one VIN or if I can use it for any HD with older bus m/c. I have a suspicion the tool is locked.....
Using the tool is as easy as manually bleeding your brakes. It is as simple as the video shows below. Details on the menus and screens etc are shown in the manual.

Last edited by rozemab; 01-26-2020 at 06:42 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by rozemab:
blacktop37 (02-16-2020), eighteight (01-27-2020), FLshovelhead (01-26-2020), FXDXTSport (01-26-2020), Harleylife1 (02-27-2020), jeepboy (06-12-2022), southerncannuck (06-23-2021), wolverinehusky (06-02-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:07 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

Thanks for the review. I've been looking at this and only have one issue with it. I have a pre-canbus twin cam and my son has a 2018 road king. So, I need to buy a specific cable for each. They don't offer one tablet with both cables as an option. You have to buy two tablets. Seems like a waste. I'm going to call them and see if they would be willing to provide a one off solution. However, it may be the tablet is locked to one vin once you use it., that's why you need a separate tablet for each one.

I've been flushing my system regularly with a vacuum bleeder but I would like to do it correctly. I know some say that a vacuum bleeder pulls the fluid out of the ABS module but I'm not convinced.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:21 PM
rozemab
Cruiser

I think the company has one tablet but two harnesses now. Take a look via the link.

One dealer visit pays for the tool. And no appt hassle either.

Vacuum bleeding your abs bike does not touch the paths on the other side of the valves.

Last edited by rozemab; 01-26-2020 at 07:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (04-06-2023)
Old 01-26-2020, 07:23 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Originally Posted by rozemab

Unclear it the tool is locked to one VIN or if I can use it for any HD with older bus m/c. I have a suspicion the tool is locked.....
Locked to the VIN. You can buy additional license or buy the shop version for about $500 that can do as many bikes as you like and can do both 08-13 and 14-later bikes.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:42 AM
rozemab
Cruiser

One point that is not mentioned in the instructions or in the video:

The reservoir lids MUST be installed and secured to the body when exercising the ABS pump. When the ABS pump is running (as commanded by the ITM) considerable flow and pressure will exist in the lines up to the reservoirs.

You know something is going on when the lever and pedal move on their own .

Blowing $200 at a bar will save your sanity; $200 on the ITM HD1 will save your life.

It is a good tool that should be owned by the home mechanic!

The following 2 users liked this post by rozemab:
Goose_NC (04-06-2023), southerncannuck (11-12-2021)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:46 AM
mitch8628
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

@rozemab Thank you for the review. I've been considering getting the utility because of the importance of brakes on saving lives. Also considering the Dual Mode Utility, but it isn't much cost savings compared to getting either the 6 pin or the 4 pin, which surprises me a bit. Hoping I can get a response from the seller as I have a question about the dual mode one and licensing for multiple bikes (Mine and Father In Laws).

Old 02-16-2020, 12:07 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch8628
@rozemab Thank you for the review. I've been considering getting the utility because of the importance of brakes on saving lives. Also considering the Dual Mode Utility, but it isn't much cost savings compared to getting either the 6 pin or the 4 pin, which surprises me a bit. Hoping I can get a response from the seller as I have a question about the dual mode one and licensing for multiple bikes (Mine and Father In Laws).
He responds rather quickly to email. I’ve sent a few questions in the past.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:30 PM
rozemab
Cruiser

I purged my front brakes today for a second time. I upgraded to ***** shiny chrome calipers and needed to bleed the circuits.

Simple bleeding did NOT remove all the air from the circuits. The ABS tool help remove the remaining trapped air from the lines.

Before running the tool I removed all the static air by pumping the front brake. After running Hd1, you are suppose to manually bleed a second time. In my case it forced out additional trapped air. You can see it in the silicone line as bubbles being pushed out of the caliper.

+++1. For speedbleeders too.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:48 PM
rozemab
Cruiser

A secret I use at brake bleeding: When pumping your brakes the return port will spray back fluid. Sometimes the spray can be significant. High enough to launch fluid outside the reservoir. I place a dollar Coin or quarter coin over the return port in the reservoir. It deflects the stream and keeps the fluid contained. Before I top off. I remove the coin.

Just remember to remove it ! Don’t ask if I have forgotten. ;(

Last edited by rozemab; 02-16-2020 at 03:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rozemab:
Ben221 (04-18-2020), s-glide76 (10-08-2021)
Old 02-16-2020, 04:16 PM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,519 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Nice review thank you. Do you know if it works with tmax ecm’s or doesn’t it matter?

Quick Reply: User Review of the ITM HD1 ABS Bleeding tool