Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test rode an 07 Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:48 PM
beemer737
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Test rode an 07 Road Glide

Put a feeler in a few papers and on ebay offering to sell yours ASAP, see what you get, if a good offer comes through, sell it and buy the new one.

I did the conversion, love it, it was alot of time to get it right but relatively easy. I think there are three or four of us who have done the deed, but honestly if I could have found a color I liked as much as the Aztec Orange, I would have paid the extra grand or two to not have the bike down 6 weeks and my time lost in doing the job. It was fun, I did save money, but... The but is my resale value is probably lower because I have modified it from an EG to RG, again, no worries for me cause I'm keeping it till it drops, and I kept all the EG parts. If i decide to sell, I'll put it back to an EG, sell off the RG stuff.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:49 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a 07 roadglide after riding classics for many years. Likes; handled good and does give the feel of more room.Cool little boxes on fairing carry small items, Dislikes; Windshield is the absolute worst pain in the *** thing, well nuts system and all. Bike gives overwhelming rider and passenger turbulance with all but the stock height shield. I bought shields in shorter sizes and 2 from Clearview,(1)CCbaileys and (1)from ebay, also the 9" from harley. As short goes best fit and look was the harley. Clearview 15" could not be used because I changed to wide glide bars because it hit the mirrors when you turned. 9" with recurve fit good but gave terrible wind turbulance at hyway speeds. Ebay one didnt fit worth crap as it was flat and had to be forced to fit the curve of the nose. Also rubber gasket is terrible and falls off unless glued in place. Headlight requires you to remove the nose to get to bulbs, this is a task that requires a special touch to re install. Stock bars had to go, as you might expect seeing posts all the time about people doing it. I tried wide glide bars but didnt like the feel or look. Stock Heritage bars did the trick. The RG handled good, but I feel more in controll on bat wing bikes. I also never could get use to the look of the nose head on, sorry guys but its but ugly, profile looks great, but thats in the eye of the beholder I guess. All in all I wish I had not bought mine, dealer got me for 1800.00 to swap it for my 07 SG, Im back at home on a bat wing again and glad to be here. These observations are not meant to put down roadglides or those that own them, they are just my opinion on my dealings with mine.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Blackisfast
Tourer

I have an '07 RG...do it. If you start down the conversion path you will always be second guessing yourself. As for the money...you'll make more and you can't take it with you.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:45 PM
beemer737
Tourer

As for buffeting, I had that on the EG with minus 2 fairing, stock fairing and plus 2 fairing!. When I changed to an RG fairing, Iput on a plus 1 or 13 inch with recurve and vent from clearview, NO BUFFET. I do think the vent is the reason for lack of buffet, (aerdynamicsstuff, vortex generators, stall strips, boundry layer control etc...) it lets air inside the fairing "bubble" and reduces the back pressure and buffeting. When I close the vent, buffet, open vent, no buffet, just smooth air.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

Glad you enjoyed your test ride, and I don't envy the dilema you are in. I would seriously consider the conversion soley based on the cash flow side of it. You could get everything mounted up and ride it around prior to painting to make sure it is what you want.

BTW - One of the coolest features on my RG is the cruise control that comes standard. You can add it to the SG, but it's a $300 option iirc.

Good luck on your decision.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like my street glide, and I like the look better of the street glide, But lets face it, you are in the talk yourself into it phase, So just go on in the deep end and get wet, you know you want to. And thats why I dont want to ride a RG, it might make me want one.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:42 PM
The Vig
Advanced

I just a 07 RG for all reasons you stated. It feels big enough for trips nimble enough for every day.
I think it is the best of all worlds. I have a goldwing as well and I am puttin it up on ebay because I am sure I wont use it anymore.
Just my Opinion

Old 07-18-2007, 05:22 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: shooter64

Come over to the Glide side brother.......come over....come over
Yeeeeaaaaa..........

Whut he said!

[8D]

Old 07-18-2007, 05:31 PM
tanq
Cruiser

Had a batwing on my 02 Ultra. It was nice and blocked the wind better than my RG but it also made me feel cramped with the dash so close. The RG is awesome. Handles great, much roomier. I'm very happy with my decision to sell the Ultra and buy the RG.

You could do what I did- Buy the Glide and sell the SG. You might have to make a double payment or two until the SG sells but you'll be better off in the long run by not getting shafted from the dealer.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:43 PM
SoCalFXSTI
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

So now it is decision time. Do I go with the 07 RG. Do I keep the SG and spend around $4K for fairing conversion and already planned engine work. Or do I keep the SG the way it is (engine work still getting done) and act like I never rode the RG.

Hmmmmm [sm=confused06.gif]
[/align][/align]ROAD GLIDE, ROAD GLIDE, ROAD GLIDE[/align]

Quick Reply: Test rode an 07 Road Glide