Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter issues - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020 | 07:22 AM
MegaJohn
|
Cruiser

I swapped out the Starter clutch Saturday. I took my time with it... so, it took a couple hours. A few things to note... When I pulled the starter out I heard an metallic "ting"... something fell out and hit the frame then floor. I looked around... some siliy short, round tube. It took me a bit, but I realized it was a locating dowel/spacer between the starter and primary... was a bit puzzled why there was only one... until I turned the rear wheel to look at the ring gear and the other fell to the floor. A dab of bearing grease held them in place when I installed the starter.

The only other "issue" I had was getting the bolts out of the starter. I had a bit of trouble finding the right size socket... turned out there was a heavy coat of paint on it so the correct socket wouldn't easily slide onto the bolt head. A couple light taps with a hammer seated the socket and all was good. Blue loc-tight was used to reinstall the bolts.

The job was uneventful and pretty simple. I was surprised how easily it came out from such a tight spot, but I took my time and it came out without removing anything else.

Now it starts every time with no grinding noise. The ring gear looked good. The compensator can be heard, but not much. It's on my to-do list... I hope it can hold out till next fall at the end of the season, but will be keeping a listen out for more noise and change it if necessary. I hope this is all the maintenance needed for a while... I had a local shop go over it a couple months ago to bring everything into spec, fix an oil leak from the stator wire, 30k service, adjust the neck bearings, install 13" Arlen Ness Modular bars, Ledgends REVO-A (rear) and AXEO front. He found & replaced worn bearings in the front wheel. It should be ready for another season now... and rides SO MUCH better!

Thanks for all the help!

Ride Safely!
John.

Old 01-13-2020 | 07:33 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

Keep listening for a sharp metallic "crack" or bang when you press the starter button. My Road King had that from day one and I had no idea what it was for close to a year. That is the compensator hitting the travel stop and with the concern about scissoring the crank shaft I changed the compensator soon after I found out what the noise was.

Old 02-16-2020 | 07:29 AM
Dedfred
Stage I
Default might be compensator

I had a similar problem. Sounded like grinding occasionally but hit the button a few times and it would start. 2007 Road glide. Wasn't the starter at all, took off the primary cover and the starter gears were perfect, no sign of grinding. Turns out that HD did not upgrade the compensator when the upgraded from 88 to 96ci. Replaced that and starts perfectly every time.

Old 02-16-2020 | 10:53 AM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by Dedfred
I had a similar problem. Sounded like grinding occasionally but hit the button a few times and it would start. 2007 Road glide. Wasn't the starter at all, took off the primary cover and the starter gears were perfect, no sign of grinding. Turns out that HD did not upgrade the compensator when the upgraded from 88 to 96ci. Replaced that and starts perfectly every time.
On my 07 I just replaced starter clutch, and seems to have taken care of hot hot start issues. Maybe my comp will blow tomorrow, but 60k so far so good.

easy to spend other people's money. But if battery cables are tight I would just do starter clutch. It's easy with 6 speeds. Real easy with 2-1 exhaust. If it is not, you got a new wear part on a 10 year old bike.

I sure as he'll would not take starter apart to inspect without just replacing. Unless you hot a garage queen.

when doing starter clutch make sure to remove factory ball. I used caliper grease, cause I could only get factory lube by 5 gallons. Not saying right, but what I did after my reading.