Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter issues - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020 | 09:01 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

John, I wouldn’t rush to replace the compensator $$
If you hear a clunk from the primary when you shut the motor off the comp needs to be replaced. It's not a matter of rushing it's a matter of how much damage you feel like letting occur over time.

Old 01-08-2020 | 10:20 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hoyt 1911A1
If you hear a clunk from the primary when you shut the motor off the comp needs to be replaced. It's not a matter of rushing it's a matter of how much damage you feel like letting occur over time.
He never mentioned hearing a “clunk” on shut down. Others brought that up. Therefore I’d replace the starter clutch first and see where things stand.
my issue seemed very similar to his and I replaced the starter clutch. So far all is good. I don’t see the need to suggest to him to spend considerable $ replacing a part that isn’t a problem.

Last edited by Weeboy1; 01-08-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2020 | 08:15 AM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

From the OP:

I can hear it clanking a bit on startup/shutdown
I said IF he hears a clunk from the primary on shutdown. He said that he did. The starter is out of the picture when you turn the motor off.

That being said I can see replacing the starter clutch first just to see, but if the clunk at shutdown is still coming from the primary that clutch will get hammered by kickback when the worn comp slams to its stop on startups, especially when the motor is warm and the oil in the primary is thinner from the heat.

Old 01-09-2020 | 08:36 AM
MegaJohn
|
Cruiser

I would agree... a new compensator is in my future. My immediate concern is with the starter. I'll replace the starter clutch and inspect the ring gear... and start collecting the parts to do the compensator. The starter clutch is scheduled for delivery today.

I'm at stock power levels now, but would like to do a little more later with head work and a new cam... I'm not sure about increasing displacement right now. I'm not doing wheelies or drag racing... just a little more grunt riding two up in the mountains.

I assume the SE compensator (and maybe a clutch spring upgrade) would keep everything together if upgrades are made later?

Ride Safely!
John.

Old 01-09-2020 | 09:54 PM
markwolula
Tourer

Just be aware if you get an All ***** starter clutch, (others may be the same),,,,, As shown in video and parts diagram etc , there is a single small ball bearing that goes down shaft....
In the packaging the small ball bearing was not in its own package, (unbeknown to me, the small ball bearing was already down the shaft of the new starter clutch , covered in grease)…

Thinking no new small bearing came in the package , I installed the old ball bearing down the shaft...… Now I have two ball bearings down the shaft !!!!….
Buttoned everything up,, start bike ,,, well what a racket ,,,, turned bike off straight away,,,,
Did some research,,,, removed starter ,,, removed one of the ball bearings,,, no damage to bike and all is good ….

So in recapping ,,, check with small screwdriver down the starter clutch shaft to see if a ball bearing is already down there …….

Old 01-10-2020 | 05:08 AM
MegaJohn
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by markwolula
So in recapping ,,, check with small screwdriver down the starter clutch shaft to see if a ball bearing is already down there …….
Yeah, I've read several posts about that. The new shaft arrived yesterday. Included is a note to install the bearing. Looked in the shaft, but could only see a glop of grease. I felt around with a toothpick... it seems to be there already.

Ride Safely!
John.

Old 01-10-2020 | 05:50 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

Hey John my offer to sell the all ball's starter clutch still stands....in fact I'll sweeten the deal a little for ya. I made myself the locking tool needed for this job and I'll make one for you and throw it in the deal. My starter clutch is in the for sale section on here, probably a few pages in I'm sure.

Old 01-10-2020 | 06:11 AM
MegaJohn
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Hey John my offer to sell the all ball's starter clutch still stands....in fact I'll sweeten the deal a little for ya. I made myself the locking tool needed for this job and I'll make one for you and throw it in the deal. My starter clutch is in the for sale section on here, probably a few pages in I'm sure.
I appreciate the offer, but have already received a new one from Amazon.

What "locking tool" are you referring too? I assume to lock the compensator/clutch basket. I've seen a block of wood used and a couple devices sold online to lock them. I've considered cutting a piece of scrap bar/angle stock, but not sure what would work best when I get to replacing the compensator.

Thanks,
John.

Old 01-10-2020 | 01:19 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member

I've considered cutting a piece of scrap bar/angle stock, but not sure what would work best when I get to replacing the compensator.
It's been a while since I've done it but I've used the locking bar method many times in the past. It works well without putting stress on the inside of the primary.

Old 01-11-2020 | 06:05 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

I did the A-B starter clutch fix a couple years ago, changed out the battery the following year out, put in a 107 motor this past summer and it's making the same noise that it did before. Oh yeah I have a Baker Comp too.
Have ACR's too in the heads.. Next time the change I will just go with a heavy duty starter as I believe this to be a better route to go.

Quick Reply: Starter issues - Need advice