Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 10:08 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,785 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynbob

Just my opinion but I think the average battery made today is probably a bit inferior.

I believe this to be true.

I think it is because more batteries are being made with all, or higher percentages of recycled lead... This works well, and is cost effective. Recycled lead does not perform/last as well as virgin lead. Of course, virgin lead is more expensive. I believe it is used in higher percentages of the premium/ high quality batteries...

Old 12-13-2019, 01:32 PM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Bought a Big Crank and it crapped in 9 months.

I’ve been running WalMart batteries since and have had real good luck with them. Partially due to riding year round and never having to charge but also if one shats the bed on the road, there’s a Wally not too far away.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:57 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 228 Likes on 132 Posts

I have mixed experience with batteries. I think one should expect at least 3 yrs. of service minimum from a battery, even one that is not well cared for. The Yuasa brand for motorcycles has been my goto for decades.

I have a Yuasa in my Harley for the last 2 yrs. and it is so far good (have it on a Harley tender in my heated garage).

I required a new battery for a BMW I had back in about 2008 and it took 3 Yuasa batteries before I had one that would last more than a day. I don't know if the shop had a bad batch or a bunch of really old stock but they had to acid them up at the shop I believe. This was a disappointing experience.

So my opinion is in agreement with the above batteries are no longer the quality they once were. That being said I like the next to no maintenance required, not having to have drain tubes and a lot less clean up requirement for the battery and it's box.

The battery in my 2013 mustang is still as good but I keep a battery tender on it for winter storage.

When I used ot have Ford diesel trucks I would get 6 / 7 years out of a battery, so real happy with what Ford has put into their vehicles.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:15 AM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 757 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Is it even that many? Most I know of are made by only 3, East Penn, Johnson Controls, and Exide. I haven't asked in a while, but that is what it used to be.
those are the EXACT 3 for car batteries with JC and Exide making 80% making all of them. I always laugh at people saying buy this or go with that. Most likely your getting 1 of 2 regardless where you buy it or how much you pay.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:01 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,587 Likes on 3,826 Posts

One thing not mentioned here is battery cables. They are worth upgrading to 4 gauge wire or even soldering the crimps will get you more life out of the battery. I own a 113 ci Evo bobber that I've had since 2001. Batteries slowly lasted less and less over the years. 4 to 2 to only 1. I ended up solding the cables only and the current battery is over 3 years old.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:17 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,255 Likes on 1,518 Posts

I will never use a lithium battery in my bike again. No cold starts, no hot starts and they **** the bed with zero warning. Never again.
I do like the lithium ion batteries in my DeWalt tools though

Old 12-15-2019, 11:45 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,587 Likes on 3,826 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
I will never use a lithium battery in my bike again. No cold starts, no hot starts and they **** the bed with zero warning. Never again.
I do like the lithium ion batteries in my DeWalt tools though

I've had 2 AGM batteries do the same thing.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:09 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,785 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Germansheperd
those are the EXACT 3 for car batteries with JC and Exide making 80% making all of them. I always laugh at people saying buy this or go with that. Most likely your getting 1 of 2 regardless where you buy it or how much you pay.

That's just not true.... you assume all batteries made by a manufacturer are the same quality, regardless of label and cost. Any battery manufacturer can make an excellent quality battery, or a bargain basement battery.... and they each make plenty of both types...

Battery manufacturers build batteries to their customer's specs.... They use different plate designs, blends of lead, size/weight of plates, etc... depending on what their customer asks for by either specific specifications or price point...

Yes there are different mark ups by different resellers, and there are certainly many of the same quality batteries with just different labels out there....

But a virgin lead battery, with bigger/heavier plates, that has a good design with all high quality components.... will cost more money..

The hard part can be finding the highest quality battery for your money, versus just a high mark-up clone of the cheaper brands....

Last edited by hattitude; 12-16-2019 at 11:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lightweight bob (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 05:37 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Get rid of those crappy tenders...

The following 2 users liked this post by bklynbob:
lightweight bob (12-17-2019), Max Headflow (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 07:52 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,860 Likes on 2,425 Posts

By coincidence I just bought two of those Optimate 6 above, because one of my trusty old ones (different brand) finally died after countless years of service. I actually bought two of them because they have a very different pigtail to my older ones, so I will pension off the other old one into respectful retirement! They have both given great service on many batteries over the years. So there are great old tenders out there, but my O6 has only had a few week's of service, so too early to say the same of it.

Quick Reply: Best battery