Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 09:59 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,713 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Is it even that many? Most I know of are made by only 3, East Penn, Johnson Controls, and Exide. I haven't asked in a while, but that is what it used to be.
You may be right have been retired for 15 years so may be out of touch.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 650 Likes on 398 Posts

Respectfully.......everyone should learn to use the "SEARCH" function on this Forum.....IF they can't find it or don't know about it then ASK. (there must be at least dozen "Best Battery" threads)

Old 12-09-2019, 10:32 AM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynbob
Best in longevity? Power? Price? Warranty? If I were going AGM,I’d go with Odyssey

www.odysseybatteries.com/motorcycles.htm

That's a dry cell battery - not an AGM lead acid battery. Had one and it lasted 2 years - too expensive for a 2 year battery.

What all the superbike race teams use - made in the USA, 3 sizes, 3 year warranty - large bagger size here.
Downside - non-conventional hookup made for quick install / removal. - https://www.motomillion.com/products...t=592866934798

Second choice - Skyrich / China - factory superbike battery in Ducati, KTM and Kawasaki. HD Softail size here - https://shopping.shadetreepowersport...ce-hjtx20ch-fp
Bagger size - https://shopping.shadetreepowersport...nce-hjtx30q-fp

As for Shorai batteries - plagued with high failure rates. Another forum - https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392033

Battery charger for lithium / LiFePo4 - need a good dedicated one like this -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y38X7WI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y38X7WI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by lightweight bob; 12-09-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:05 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,713 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob175
Respectfully.......everyone should learn to use the "SEARCH" function on this Forum.....IF they can't find it or don't know about it then ASK. (there must be at least dozen "Best Battery" threads)
so what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by touchdown:
lksmitty (12-14-2019), rick601 (12-12-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 05:33 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Dry cell is Odyssey’s nomenclature for AGM. They are the only company to use virgin lead,not recycled. And like most products,you have to read the owners manual.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:20 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynbob
Dry cell is Odyssey’s nomenclature for AGM. They are the only company to use virgin lead,not recycled. And like most products,you have to read the owners manual.

WOW - why would a company describe their product as "dry cell" when it's really AGM tech - fooled me but thx for the info.
Here - https://www.odysseybatteries.com/motorcycles.htm
Doesn't mention being AGM tech.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:01 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,785 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Originally Posted by touchdown

One day in Reading Pa. I picked up a load of MC battery's at East Penn MFG.they are the co. that makes Deka drove them across town to Yuasa backed into the dock to unload as they were taking them off they were putting Yuasa labels on the battery's. That said there only 5 or 6 company's .that make battery's. Opinions are like ******** everyone has one. Me I like East Penn ( Deka) If you buy a Deka you know its from East Penn.
FWIW......

East Penn can make an incredibly well designed, well built, high quality battery... They can also make a cheap, bargain basement quality battery.... And guess what, they can both be in almost identical looking cases...

Sooner or later it boils down to cost...

Battery manufacturers make batteries to the specifications of the person contracting them to make the batteries...

My point is just because you buy battery X, and it's made by the same company that makes Battery Y, that doesn't mean it's the same quality as Battery Y.....

While mark-ups are certainly different between battery resellers, quality components cost more money... The quality of lead, size/weight of lead in the plates, plate design, case design, all add to the cost. Another company can spec lower quality in any/all those areas to save on costs. They are then able to sell a less expensive battery....

Additionally, when a large company (like Harley) contracts with a manufacturer to make a product for them, they not only supply the specifications for the product, there is almost always a clause in the contract that restricts the manufacturer from making the same spec product to be sold by anyone else. The bigger the contract, more protection is given to the reseller's specs.

The manufacturer may get around the protected specs with just some minor case design changes, or battery post changes. They can then make a very similar battery for sale by them or another reseller. However, if the battery that is "just the same as battery Y" is substantially cheaper, you can bet there are also changes in the lead composition, plate size/weight, or plate design that save costs....

Smaller companies can buy off the shelf, East Penn designed batteries, and relabel them with no protections/restrictions... So it's more likely that the smaller resellers, be they Mega Crank, Little Crank, or Average Crank batteries are in fact the same battery, but only "similar to battery Y".....

Last edited by hattitude; 12-11-2019 at 12:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
lightweight bob (12-11-2019), Redlegvzv (12-15-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 09:52 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 474 Posts

Can't argue with someone in, or close to the battery business. All I can do is report personal experience. The factory battery in my 08 Road King had trouble pushing through the first compression stroke after about 18 months. Likewise two Battery Mart Super Cranks, and the Deka branded replacement after that, and also a Chinese something or other after that. At least the first three batteries were supposed to have come out of the same factory and the Harley battery sold for almost twice the price of its replacements, yet performed in service about the same. EXPERIENCE suggests no difference in use between the nearly $200 battery and the $100 replacements. The REAL DIFFERENCE to me was $100/year in service for the Harley battery and $50/year of the replacements. Any battery that does the job is satisfactory, after that it is "bang for the buck". The East Penn replacements seem to excel in that department. MY bike is stock with no ACRs, what is needed for a highly modded engine presents a totally different set of challenges and solutions and what would qualify as "best" for those applications.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:10 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Just my opinion but I think the average battery made today is probably a bit inferior. I think the bigger problem is underpowered battery tenders. Get a better charger. I think the Optimate brand is far superior. Yes,more expensive but worth it . I have one for Lithium which is going on 4 years. My buddy their TM 223, a nearly 5 yr old odyssey and a 4 yr old yuasa . He never chargers the battery when the bike is hot, and never leaves it on over 24 hrs. Luck,maybe...

Old 12-13-2019, 05:13 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,066 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
My ‘03 FLHTCUI needed a new stator this summer. When I had it replaced, I got a Yuasa. My Indy said this Yuasa battery has the most CCA available. 500.

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery/gyz32hl/
I have to agree with Ron. I used to use and suggest the Deka Big Cranks but they they didn't last very long despite an up to spec charging system. I've since switched to Yuasa batteries and now I don't have to buy a new one every two years.

Quick Reply: Best battery