Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whisteling Fuel Tank Problem FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007 | 08:33 PM
rschoepf
|
Novice
Default Whisteling Fuel Tank Problem FIXED

For any of you folks that have noticed a whistle while turning your bike on and off I found the answer. About a weekor so ago my 04 FLHRI Road King started to make a "NEW" sound. The usual winding up of the fuel pump was replaced with an added whistling sound. The bike ran fine for a few days but then the idle started to get wierd and performance was up and down. I researched the sound and even asked for help on this site. Well since I turn my own wrenches and knew the new sound could not be good so I got into it. Seems that thefuel line inside the tank that goes from the check valve to the regulator was rubbing on the inside of the tank. That in turn wore a hole in the line causing a leak and the whistel. Since this line is pressureized at 58 lbs. it just stands to reason that my performance would be hampered. What pissed me off was that Harley knows about it and didn't do anything about it! They did however modify the part with a slightly shorter line to minimize the rubbing. The line is still made like crap, only out of cheap plastic and will run you $40.00 plus clamps and the canopy gasket and 10 new Torx #20 sealing screws. Parts totalled about $63.00 To have this done would cost someone about $300 at Harley. Don't panic if when you shut down you hear a quick puff this happens allot and is not a problem. The problem is the whisteling when the pump is first turned on. You may last 6 months with this problem or 6 days.

[IMG]local://upfiles/37258/94E6A6360FA448FD89C3554FFA2C86E9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-16-2007 | 08:53 PM
azhole
Road Master
Default RE: Whisteling Fuel Tank Problem FIXED

Thanks for the insight!

Old 07-16-2007 | 09:43 PM
rschoepf
|
Novice

My pleasure, thats why we are all here to learn and to share. I remember the days when I owned a Honda 1100 ACE (hey it was a great bike) I got more info and gave more on the forums then any shop. Not to dis the HD mechanics in any way, but they are not always willing to give away trade secrets and free advice.Ride safe...Keep the Rubber on the Road

Old 06-30-2008 | 02:56 PM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer

I guess this is another good reason to get the service manual. This may be the problem I've got, but I'm not sure how to get into something inside the tank.

Old 06-30-2008 | 06:54 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

i have read about the same problem on this forum i guess we all have to look
&nbsp\\;
into our gas tanks ?? chock up another harley quality product what the f n is next??

Old 07-01-2008 | 03:45 PM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer

Just checked with the dealer. My problem is the result of H-D's poor design and cost cutting cheap-assed ... sigh. The fuel filter part is on order and should be here soon...hopefully. Also hopefully, the new design is done right and not just as cheap as possible. There is no service bulletin as H-D is hoping to get away with as few fixes as possible. So far, the part is back ordered due to so many failures. Dealers are getting an allocation. Hope I get one.

Old 07-01-2008 | 05:09 PM
rounder999
Intermediate

How can you check this?