Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD engine exchange

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 10:44 PM
NAILIT RK
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HD engine exchange

2001 RK, I need a complete engine. Staying with HD because I’m somewhat of a traditionalist... exchange program is my dealer sends in my side case with VIN # stamped in it, Motor Company sends complete new engine minus a few pieces, to dealer with my original VIN # on it.
I asked if I could get a 96” engine... I was told no, because it was not offered in 2001 (the year of my bike and VIN) I assume this means I can’t buy outright over the counter engine with new serial/VIN#... (other than the 120ST) anyone else able to buy an engine outright (no exchange) in the last couple years?

Last edited by NAILIT RK; 11-11-2019 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-12-2019, 01:14 AM
Johnnypop
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Look up Harley long block and and I believe you can get a 95 in touring for years 99 to 06

Old 11-12-2019, 05:41 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The biggest problem is, a 96 will not bolt to your trans.

The following users liked this post:
NAILIT RK (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 06:07 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

for a bike that old, get a S&S crate motor and drop it in. You could probably get a large displacement mill from them

I thought HD stopped supporting the TC88 rebuild/replace program

Last edited by Neggy ZRXOA 5248; 11-12-2019 at 06:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 06:18 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
for a bike that old, get a S&S crate motor and drop it in. You could probably get a large displacement mill from them

I thought HD stopped supporting the TC88 rebuild/replace program

For what the cost would be from HD plus they do all the work to warranty it , S&S sounds like a good option to me .. At least worth looking into ..

Old 11-12-2019, 06:49 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by NAILIT RK
2001 RK, I need a complete engine. Staying with HD because I’m somewhat of a traditionalist... exchange program is my dealer sends in my side case with VIN # stamped in it, Motor Company sends complete new engine minus a few pieces, to dealer with my original VIN # on it.
I asked if I could get a 96” engine... I was told no, because it was not offered in 2001 (the year of my bike and VIN) I assume this means I can’t buy outright over the counter engine with new serial/VIN#... (other than the 120ST) anyone else able to buy an engine outright (no exchange) in the last couple years?
There's a world of difference between a a TC88 built in 2000-2001 and a TC88 that HD will re-man and send to you and that difference isn't good. As others have mentioned, build your engine if the cases and crank are good or get an S&S replacement. I wouldn't send my 2002 TC88 to HD for a re-man if it was free.

The following 3 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
dgwv (11-12-2019), hattitude (11-12-2019), NAILIT RK (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 07:15 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

Here's my experience from 2003. Had a lifters wheel bearing let loose on my '93 Ultra, with almost 50k on the motor. At the time you could have your motor remanned with your numbers on it. I brought it to the dealer, and they did the whole job. I got the bike back in 2 weeks. The deal is, what ever work you had done to your motor was lost. And performance parts sent to Harley ,ended up in the scrap bin. What you got back was a 100% stock as it left the factory motor. When it was all said and done it,cost me almost $4000.00 at that time. The warranty if it means anything to you, was for 1 year at any Harley dealer in the country. If the dealer that did the swap rebuilt the motor, they only gave a 90 day warranty good only at their dealership. Now being your bike is almost 20 years old and if it was me in your position, I would look into rebuilding it if possible, or buy a use motor from Ebay for $1500 and freshen it up to get a few more years out of it.,,,

Old 11-12-2019, 07:20 AM
NAILIT RK
Tourer

I guess I shouldn’t have called it the exchange program. They don’t want the old motor. Just the side case that has the VIN stamped in it. The new engine they send out is not remanufactured. It is new with the upgraded tensioners heads etc..

Old 11-12-2019, 07:27 AM
NAILIT RK
Tourer

Originally Posted by bundy43
The biggest problem is, a 96 will not bolt to your trans.
I really would not be happy with a stock 88” and stock compression etc.... well in that case, I would have to take the TC 88, add a 95” kit to it, add cams etc.... for the money I’d be better with the 120ST....almost.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by NAILIT RK
I guess I shouldn’t have called it the exchange program. They don’t want the old motor. Just the side case that has the VIN stamped in it. The new engine they send out is not remanufactured. It is new with the upgraded tensioners heads etc..
Will the replacement engine have a forged crank with the period correct .003 max runout and a Timken drive side bearing? If the answer is no, it wouldn't be in your best interest to do the exchange; no matter how cost effective. Before you decide, do some research on what makes 99-02 Twin Cams engines better than all those that came after. HD's "improvements" weren't to the benefit of engineers or the customer. Everybody and his brother "knows" about TC88 tensioners and 99% of them couldn't tell you where they reside in the motor. I still run spring tensioners and my bike and it gets no mercy; the shoe material makes all the difference. Aftermarket shoes made by Cyco last much longer than stock and are serviceable. I'd rather have a 99-02 spring tensioner TC88 than an "upgraded" 96" produced with a cast crank, increased runout and roller bearings.

I'm just a dude on the internet that you don't know. I could be reasonably intelligent or the village idiot. That said, I urge you to learn the answers to the questions I posed regarding HD's exchange program. Once it's done, it's done and you can't go back.

Quick Reply: HD engine exchange