Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD HID Halogen High Beam Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Sheep
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD HID Halogen High Beam Replacement

I did a search but can't find where this has been asked or answered in the past. I have the HD HID (can't get it adjusted high enough but that's another question) headlight. What I want to know is what wattage is the halogen highbeam and whether it can be replaced with a 100w bulb?

I've upgraded my passing lamps to halogen, replaced the 35W with 55w bulbs and wired them to stay on with the high beams.

Just trying to light up the night.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Crazie
Cruiser
Default RE: HD HID Halogen High Beam Replacement

The high beam lamp with the HID set-up is just stock. The HID only replaces the low beam... so, the Harley replacement lamp is #68096-04 which I believe to be a 55/60W.. I replaced mine with a bright white PIAA 100W. I also upgraded to halogen and wired my passing lamps to stay on all the time and regularly ride with heated gear in the winter and have had no problems either with the charging system or the lamp lenses.

Side note: When the sealed-beam halogen passing lamps bite it you can just remove the rubber boot from the back of the lamp and put in an inexpensive replacement lamp rather than buy the MOCO's $30+ replacement .

Old 07-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

I would suggest that you do not go with a 100watt bulb! To be safe, go no more that 60/55 watts for HID. Anything higher will risk melting wires and/or damage to your electrical system!

ORIGINAL: Sheep

I did a search but can't find where this has been asked or answered in the past. I have the HD HID (can't get it adjusted high enough but that's another question) headlight. What I want to know is what wattage is the halogen highbeam and whether it can be replaced with a 100w bulb?

I've upgraded my passing lamps to halogen, replaced the 35W with 55w bulbs and wired them to stay on with the high beams.

Just trying to light up the night.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:44 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the HD HID kit plug and play or do you have to cut wires? Thanks.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

Most are just remove old and replace with new. If you stay with the recommended wattage. There should be no splicing. Not a good practice anyway.

ORIGINAL: casique

Old 07-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Crazie
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: casique

Actually, the HID install is just a bit more involved. You have to install a high-voltage capacitor assembly (kind of like a starter on a fluorescent bulb) to get the HID lit up. Still pretty much plug-and-play. No splicing with the Harley kit. It comes with the harness pieces you need (at least it did for my Ultra).

Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Sheep
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Crazie

Side note: When the sealed-beam halogen passing lamps bite it you can just remove the rubber boot from the back of the lamp and put in an inexpensive replacement lamp rather than buy the MOCO's $30+ replacement .
Go ahead and replace them with 55w. Careful taking that boot off though.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:39 AM
tcfamy
Cruiser

Dave,

The Low beam on the HID unit is a D1 35 watt. The high beam is an H8 35 Watt. Hella makes a 55 watt H8, but have not found one yet. However the H11 comes in 55, 80 and 100 watts and the base , with some minor filing fits in.The filiment height is identical so the beam focus works out ok. I use the H11 55 watt and it helped some. I would be hesitant to go much higher as the heat buildup may have some effect on the (expensive!!) plastic housing.

Tom

Old 07-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Sheep
Tourer

ORIGINAL: tcfamy

Dave,

The Low beam on the HID unit is a D1 35 watt. The high beam is an H8 35 Watt. Hella makes a 55 watt H8, but have not found one yet. However the H11 comes in 55, 80 and 100 watts and the base , with some minor filing fits in.The filiment height is identical so the beam focus works out ok. I use the H11 55 watt and it helped some. I would be hesitant to go much higher as the heat buildup may have some effect on the (expensive!!) plastic housing.

Tom
That's what I was looking for. Thanks.