Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you pull a pop up on road trips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Floridafred
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you pull a pop up on road trips?

If you pull a pop up style camper trailer on road trips I'd like to hear some comments good and bad. I love the open road. Just finished a 5K mile trip and getting ready to go again. I'm considering getting a pop up type trailer. Last trip I stayed mostly in KOA Cabins when not staying with friends or relatives. I've been thinking it might be better to have my own shelter with me. Couldn't always find a cabin when I wanted one. I travel solo. Looks like any dollar savings in overnight lodging would be offset by initial cost of popup. The ones I've looked at are around $4500.00 give or take. Convenience, extra storage etc. would all be on the plus side. General parking, gas mileage, handling etc. may be on the minus side. What's your take on it?
Fred

Old 07-16-2007, 04:04 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Default RE: Do you pull a pop up on road trips?

I have a Kwik Kamp that I have pulled to Sturgis (from Michigan) a couple of times. Pulled it with a Goldwing tho. Haven't put a hitch on the Ultra yet so I can't comment on how it would pull. Behind the wing you didn't know it was there. Just have to drive safely. Takes a little longer to accel and longer to stop so you have to adjust. Mine only take a minute or two to set up and take down..plus the time it takes to set up camp. They don't make Kwik Kamps any longer. If your looking for a new one the Bunkhouse would be my choice far and away

Old 07-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Biggie
Advanced
Default RE: Do you pull a pop up on road trips?

I pull a 2006 Bunkhouse LX with my 2004Ultra Classic. I've spent maybe 20 nights in it since I got it in January and maybe put 4500 miles on it. We use it for going to bike rallies. It pulls alright but your gas mialeage will suffer. I'm getting around 36 mpg when pulling the trailer at 70 mph. Without the trailer I average 44 mpg. The UC handles just fine pulling the trailer. You just have to watch right turns so the trailer doesn't hit the curve and watch out for gas pumps cause the trailer is a little wider than the bike. You'll have to relearn how to ride curves like going into them slower then accelerating out the turn and braking a little harder but not a whole lot.

The Bunkhouse has 26 cu. ft. of storage for your camping gear and even put ina small 5000btu AC ($89 dollars at Home Depot). I ordered the Bunkhouse with the AC Duct option, swivel hitch, clothes caddy, Black tourneau cover with clothes pocket, and chrome wheels. The strorage compartment can be accessed while on the road or set up at camp. The camper can be set up in about six minutes and repacked in about 10 minutes. All the tent material rides on top of the cargo compartment.It has 2" foam King size bed and 6 x 6 dressing-sitting area which is quite roomy and comfortable if the weather turns bad.

Only minuses I have are the gasmilage. The trailer weighs 300 lbs empty, so when buying camping gear keep it light and carry only what you going to use tokeep the weight down.