Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Apparel and Equipment

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 10:25 PM
ninetyfivebravo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riding Apparel and Equipment

Just getting back to riding after 35 years. Had a wheel, got married and the wife did not like the wheel, so it went. Finally convinced her, sort of, she'll get over it, and got a 2000 EG Classic very low miles and very clean. Mostly stock except for SE slip ons and hiway pegs. I'm really enjoying it immensely.

I don't know what riding jacket would be best. I don't plan on riding during the winter. I live in Rockland County, NY and would like some advise on what is out there. I've read about the mesh, the armor, and the leather and just need alittle experienced advice.

Also, are there any items that I should consider for the bike?

Thanks a lot.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:38 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding Apparel and Equipment

I like leather, all the time. Mesh leather in summer, full leather in winter. Chaps are nice for winter (fall, spring) rides and a rain suit is a must. Full finger gloves for cool weather or light iones for all times are goos also. Welcome back to the saddle! Anything with armor is good for protection. I also wear either a 3/4 or a full helmet. Just my preference.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:44 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow a "wheel"...... I worked with an old Philly cop who called abike a wheel. Welcome back to riding. Remeber all those ******** who used to be on the road when you had your wheel? There kids are driving now with cell phones and air tight cars with loud stereos and the air cond on full blast.. so please be careful and get yorself some loud pipes and a MSF safety or a refresher course.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:51 PM
reeac
Tourer

I ride year round. I live in south Texas where this makes it possible. I have a heavy leather for winter and a nylon mesh for spring and late fall which is really great. It breaths when you ride and the body armour is a comforting thought. I some times use it during the really hot part of the summer 90 to 100 but only if I won't be in heavy traffic. Welcome back!

Old 07-16-2007, 02:09 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to check out www.eglidegoodies.com , for parts. For me, leather jacket in cooler weather, and leather vest in summer (yes it is hot, but keeps my shirt from ballooning up). I have three pair of gloves. All leather. One heavy duty, for winter riding, light weight for cool nights, and fingerless for summer days. I gotta wear gloves when ever I ride, I feel naked without them, and THAT is a sight noone will want to see. LOL

Welcome back, and be safe.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:13 AM
ricaroo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one of these jackets great quality and very inexpensive, they also have a web site www.votomoto.com

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...1&frpp=100

Old 07-16-2007, 03:34 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

ORIGINAL: ninetyfivebravo
Also, are there any items that I should consider for the bike?
Thanks a lot.
Wow, that's a loaded question I would first say that since you finally convinced her to get the bike, then you certainly don't want things going wrong with it to give her a reason to say "see, this thing is more trouble than it's worth." Having said that, I would start by having some maintenance issues done to the bike to keep it running great for a very long time. The first thing is to peruse the forum and see all the good advice about which fluids to use. You may also want to think about having the inner cam bearings changed and the cam shoe tensioners looked at for wear. There are several other things also but I'm sure you will stumble on them while reading the forums. Then also of utmost importance is to make the scoot comfy for your wife and include her in it and trust me, she'll come around

Old 07-16-2007, 04:05 AM
azhole
Road Master

I wear leather in the cooler months, as cool as cool gets in Phoenix
I don't wear much protection in the summer, but if I was just getting back on and used to the new bike, I would seriously consider a mesh protection garment.
I bought a 99 ultra, and never considered it, but someone before me had removed the anchor that holds the captive bolt for primary chain tension adjustment, and put it back on without any locktite or anything, andthe boltsvibrated loose and one fell into my primary chain,on a 95 mpg 'see what she's got' ride, and destroyed my primary chain. Could have wrapped around the sprocket and put me in a skid, from what I was told. I will, from now on, remove that cover and those bolts and make sure they are tightened to spec with locktite if I ever get a used bike again![sm=goodidea.gif]
On the bright side, I got my first experience at cracking that cover and doing that work[sm=groupwave.gif]. It was simple, cause my cousin had the pnumatic tools and torque wrenches and such. I took it slow and easy, and did it right, so I feel confident now! You may consider doing or having some work to insure this doesn't happen to you, since you got a used bike also.
I just ordered the 'fix my hog' dvd for my bike and will do some more work to insure the goof didn't put my life in jeopardy some other way.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:41 AM
nujohn
Tourer

Welome back !! Try Fox Creek leather they have nice stuff and good prices

Good luck

Old 07-16-2007, 06:35 AM
jrtracker
Advanced

Fox Creek Leather is the BEST for leather jackets, etc.

Quick Reply: Riding Apparel and Equipment