Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vivid Black Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 05:55 PM
ratpick
Road Captain
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Vivid Black Paint Question

So, I'm close to giving up on finding a tank for my '11 Road King in Vivid Black that's in decent enough condition I can polish out most imperfections and just run it, and am considering buying one I can paint instead.

I'm familiar with color rite but I'd rather deal with someone local--especially for the price. I called automotive paint supplier to inquire and was told vivid black was a tri coat color which didn't sound right at all, but search online came back with posts (on other forums, didn't see any from here) where people were claiming vivid black had changed around '08 or so and the original 9850 (PPG) color wasn't the same... WTF!? Can anyone shed some light on the blackness?

Old 10-15-2019, 06:48 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 466 Likes on 192 Posts

The last time I bought some in PPG the paint store mixed a Chrysler code instead of 9850. It;s a shame your not close, I have a extra black tank i was going to stretch a few years ago and never did.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:59 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,667 Likes on 6,425 Posts

I recently found on ebay a 3 can set of paint specific to the color of my Road Glide, to include clear. My paint is called velocity red sunglo if that helps? Point is try searching for your paint name.

Last edited by nobodyknowsme; 10-15-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:15 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I do bodywork and paint for a living and typed 9850 in my color mobile code download I have. As far as ppg goes a 9850 calls for one toner only. DMD 1683 which is straight black. No tricolor involved here at all.

The following 2 users liked this post by Newharleylover:
INJEKTER (10-16-2019), Uncle Larry (10-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 07:28 PM
Andrewwayne
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Most paint shops have a camera that reads and matches colors can find a match with out a code. But it should be just a factory pack black like a straight black

Old 10-15-2019, 08:18 PM
ratpick
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
I do bodywork and paint for a living and typed 9850 in my color mobile code download I have. As far as ppg goes a 9850 calls for one toner only. DMD 1683 which is straight black. No tricolor involved here at all.
I don't know about number of toners, but I believe guy I spoke with at paint shop was referring to a 3 tier, base coat/top coat/clear coat scenario where I'd need to buy all three products and apply in succession to properly match factory--but this doesn't seem right, and color rite doesn't show it that way.

Originally Posted by Fatboy Brian
The last time I bought some in PPG the paint store mixed a Chrysler code instead of 9850. It;s a shame your not close, I have a extra black tank i was going to stretch a few years ago and never did.
Hmmm, black tank w/extra filler hole for Road King?

Originally Posted by Andrewwayne
Most paint shops have a camera that reads and matches colors can find a match with out a code. But it should be just a factory pack black like a straight black
I was considering bringing in a body part for them to match and see what comes of it...

Old 10-15-2019, 08:32 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,684 Likes on 2,115 Posts

I just used this rattle can formula on a set of lowers and it matched perfectly. Then I hit it with Spray Max 2K high gloss, followed by wet sanding, then cut and buff. It looks great.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:48 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,630 Likes on 11,533 Posts

You said you wanted to deal with someone local. I’m confused. If you are going to paint it yourself...why does it matter that someone is local.

With that, I’d consider Color Rite. Rattle can paint doesn’t get any better. They also sell pints, I’d you want to air spray it.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:41 PM
ratpick
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rizzo
I just used this rattle can formula on a set of lowers and it matched perfectly. Then I hit it with Spray Max 2K high gloss, followed by wet sanding, then cut and buff. It looks great.
That should be helpful for a reality check, thanks!

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
You said you wanted to deal with someone local. I’m confused. If you are going to paint it yourself...why does it matter that someone is local.

With that, I’d consider Color Rite. Rattle can paint doesn’t get any better. They also sell pints, I’d you want to air spray it.
When I painted some vehicles years back I had a really good local place that not only provided paint but also advice and trouble shooting so I was hoping for that experience again, but thus far hasn't worked out very well... Also seemed like some people had a not great experience w/Color Rite and while it was most likely applicator error I thought it would be nice to have someone local if I have any issues. My spray equipment is in storage and didn't seem worth messing with it to paint one piece anyway.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:25 AM
hawg50
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

check this item # on ebay.it looks pretty good,might need a cut and buff.

Last edited by hawg50; 10-16-2019 at 08:27 AM. Reason: add info

Quick Reply: Vivid Black Paint Question