Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May already be a answer somewhere but .......

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 10:11 PM
Seclusion
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May already be a answer somewhere but .......

I have a 2004 Road Glide. Problem I have is bike is dead. Battery is good. Only 2 months old. Has no power anywhere. NO LIGHTS NO GUAGES NOTHING. I turn to ignition I get nothing but when I turn back to off I here what sounds like fuel pump Or something activate and see gauges jump slightly a few times. I have changed all fuses in fuse block under side cover including the maxi fuse. Am I missing some somewhere? WHERE IS THE MAIN CIRCUIT BREAKER LOCATED ON AN 04 ROADGLIDE? Could that be it? Are there other circuit breakers I'm missing?I'm at a loss. Cant figure out why it does that only when I turn it to off position not the ignition position.This all started on a trip back from maine. I was riding and heard a small pop or something and saw engine light come on for a second then fo out. Bike started running like it was only on 1 cylinder. Tried to limp it home. Could not let off throttle at tolls or it would die. Tried to get home. Ut was almost out of gas. Had to stop. Shut bike off. Got gas . Turned key on
All gauges a d lights were on but when I hit start I heard a click. Turned it back off then tried again but when I turned key to ignition it was completely dead from that point to now

Last edited by Seclusion; 10-06-2019 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Need to add stuff
Old 10-06-2019, 10:21 PM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 632 Likes on 323 Posts

How do you know the battery is good? Unless you've load tested it or measured the battery voltage in the bike with the key on, it and the battery cable connections on both ends of each cable are the #1 suspects...

Old 10-06-2019, 10:35 PM
Seclusion
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok point taken. I'm just assuming it's good since it is that new a d holds charge a d measures good when battery is on floor our of bike. Didnt see any issues with cables a anywhere unless I missed something

Old 10-06-2019, 10:43 PM
internet troll
Road Master
Received 736 Likes on 261 Posts

Check your battery cable and your grounds. I know this sounds like an incredibly simple piece of advice, but experience tells me to start with the simple stuff.

(I had an old Camaro that was exhibiting weird starting issues. Starter would run and die. Give it a minute and it was fine. Crank it again and it would do the same.....after a day of messing with he starter and relays, I found the main battery terminal was old and loose..........)

Old 10-06-2019, 11:18 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 158 Posts

Sounds like a loose ground or grounding issue

Old 10-06-2019, 11:40 PM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Pull your battery charge it and load test it. I've d batteries fail in as little as 4 months. That's where I'd start.

The following users liked this post:
plongson (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 05:43 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 533 Posts

ignition switch is shot.

The following users liked this post:
Captain Itch (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 05:49 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

As mentioned above I have seen a lot of ignition switches fail ..

Old 10-07-2019, 06:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

With no power anywhere the origins of the problem are very limited. Your bike probably has a main fuse, which may either have blown or be badly corroded. Having checked your battery condition as suggested above, check both ends of both main battery cables - dismantle each, clean and refit using dialectic grease.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:22 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

I will guess a loose or corroded connection on the ground cable on the frame end. Either that or a bad ignition switch. - or maybe a lose wire connection at the switch.

Reading you’re description, I don’t think this is the case, but did you have your ignition switch out recently? Maybe the ignition cams got moved out of place? - Just a thought. . .

Last edited by steelerdude1; 10-07-2019 at 06:24 AM.

Quick Reply: May already be a answer somewhere but .......