Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic makes a difference

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Sanebiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic makes a difference

I just had my 1k service done and had the dealer service department put in synthetic. it made a difference in the sounds it DOESNT make now and it seems to be running smoother than I thought it would. ANy body else notice a markable difference after they put synthetic oil in?

Old 07-15-2007, 10:48 AM
electra trike
Advanced
Default RE: Synthetic makes a difference

Runs cooler also

Old 07-15-2007, 11:04 AM
tizone
Tourer

what kind of syn did the daler put in? The Dealer that did my 1k service said that all they carried and all they were authorized to use was the HDSyn3. From what I understand, Syn3 is a far cry from a real synthetic like Mobil 1, Amsoil, or Redline. I am going to run the Syn3 up to 3k and then swap out the oil in all 3 holes and see how it goes.

To be honest, going from the stock oil at delivery to Syn3 after the 1K service... I haven't noticed much of a difference at all. I don't have a problem with the way it is running... no excessive noise, still a challenge to find neutral, still a bit hot.... I guess I just expected a noticeable difference going to Syn3. Maybe I ill find what I am hoping for after a switch to full synthetic.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest difference I noticed was syn in the tranny. Shifted much smoother and neutural was easier to find. Synthetic stands up to heat better and has longer change intervals. I think the higher cost is justified by superior lubrication.
Check the forum tech section's oil related subjects. So much info there you will be reading for hours.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:18 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sanebiker

I just had my 1k service done and had the dealer service department put in synthetic. it made a difference in the sounds it DOESNT make now and it seems to be running smoother than I thought it would. ANy body else notice a markable difference after they put synthetic oil in?
Mine always seems to run smoother, but I attribute that to psychological factors. In theory, I don't think the engine should actually be quieter if the viscosity is the same. Viscosity does vary from one oil to another--e.g. HD 360 fossil oil has a higher initial viscosity index than anything I'm aware of, and some report noise levels actually being higher after changing from 360 (factory install except on SE bikes) to a lower-viscosity oil, synthetic or fossil, even thought the API rating is the same. That's not a recommendation for 360 as a long-term solution, as it is no more than an average though over-priced fossil oil. During break-in I use Castrol GTX 20w50, which is cheaper and every bit as good as 360, maybe better.

What is definitely improved that can be measured is cooling, up noticeably by changing to synthetic from fossil oil.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:58 AM
baldjohnny
Cruiser

I put AMSOIL(not an ad, that's been covered plenty, just saying) in the engine and transmission, and Syn3 in the primary. So far very pleased, but the proof will be in the pudding further down the road. The transmission is smooth, less of a clunk (we'll never get a "snick" like the metrics have), and finding neutral is a snap. To me, from being involved in an industrial sector that deals with the best oil we can afford, it doesn't seem to be the best protection to put a motor oil where a gear oil should go.

Any good synthetic (just picked the type I used because I had heard so much about it) is a step above your regular dino oil. Just my humble opinion, for what it's worth (.02 cents!).

Old 07-16-2007, 08:13 AM
Sanebiker
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: tizone

what kind of syn did the daler put in? The Dealer that did my 1k service said that all they carried and all they were authorized to use was the HDSyn3. From what I understand, Syn3 is a far cry from a real synthetic like Mobil 1, Amsoil, or Redline. I am going to run the Syn3 up to 3k and then swap out the oil in all 3 holes and see how it goes.

To be honest, going from the stock oil at delivery to Syn3 after the 1K service... I haven't noticed much of a difference at all. I don't have a problem with the way it is running... no excessive noise, still a challenge to find neutral, still a bit hot.... I guess I just expected a noticeable difference going to Syn3. Maybe I ill find what I am hoping for after a switch to full synthetic.
I asked my HD dealer which oil was best Dino or Synth and they told me the difference between the HD oil and Redline. I chose Redline. My Harley dealer carries 3 different types of oil. HD, Redline and Amsoil. Tell your dealer they're wrong about only being "authorized" to use the Harley brand.

...Then again, the parts department also has more than just the Harley Parts and Accesorys catalogue. I really like my renegade dealership.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Max96
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

At 2500 miles on clock, I changed from HD dino to Royal Purple this weekend. Bike runs around 10 degrees cooler but thats it, no other difference. Great if ya ask me....

Old 07-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Rick51
Account Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use SYN 3 and can honestly say I have no problems with it. It is pricey, but what isn't these days.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My bike has had factory fill, Amsoil, and Redline in it. At this point I'd have to say Redline has been the quietest and coolest running of the three. Didn't testthem with a db meter or thermometer, just an observation from the saddle on my particular rig.

So yes, I'd have to say that switching from dino to syn was noticeable (if only to a small degree) to me...

Quick Reply: Synthetic makes a difference