Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic makes a difference

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:30 PM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for red line shock proof heavy in the trans. I run harley dino in my motor and primary, but there is a big difference from red line to syn 3 in the trans

Old 05-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still run dino in mine no issues with heat. But I run Spectro oils.

Heavy Duty 20W-50 in the motor in the primary I use the Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil and in the transmission I use the Heavy Duty Gear Oil 85W-140.

Talked with the guys from Baker Drivertrain at The Horse SmokeOut and they recommended it and I thought if they that are smarter then I am think this is a good product then I might give it a shot. Never been happier. Motor runs cooler the the HD stuff and the primary doesn't sing and the transmission shifts smooth and easy.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:49 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Difference

Originally Posted by tizone
what kind of syn did the daler put in? The Dealer that did my 1k service said that all they carried and all they were authorized to use was the HDSyn3. From what I understand, Syn3 is a far cry from a real synthetic like Mobil 1, Amsoil, or Redline. I am going to run the Syn3 up to 3k and then swap out the oil in all 3 holes and see how it goes.

To be honest, going from the stock oil at delivery to Syn3 after the 1K service... I haven't noticed much of a difference at all. I don't have a problem with the way it is running... no excessive noise, still a challenge to find neutral, still a bit hot.... I guess I just expected a noticeable difference going to Syn3. Maybe I ill find what I am hoping for after a switch to full synthetic.
When you hit 10K, (or do yourself a favor and do it sooner), put ATF in the primary and Redline Shockproof Heavy in the tranny. It will make it a lot easier to find neutral and shifting smoother.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:59 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac57
The biggest difference I noticed was syn in the tranny. Shifted much smoother and neutural was easier to find. Synthetic stands up to heat better and has longer change intervals. I think the higher cost is justified by superior lubrication.
Check the forum tech section's oil related subjects. So much info there you will be reading for hours.
Unless things have changed, synthetics DO NOT extend your change intervals. I had 3 fast lube centers for over 10 years and the only synthetic that would make any claims for extending change intervals was Amsoil. They would only extend them if you used THEIR branded filter. The Amsoil website specifically excludes modified engines from extended change intervals.

Modified includes.... "Engines operating under modified conditions are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance computer chips; non-OEM approved exhaust, fuel or air induction systems; and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturer"

Notice..... "computer chips". This could be interpretted as a SERT, Power Commander, Thundermax, etc. Also....."non-OEM approved exhaust" would be any exhaust other than stock or certain Screaming Eagle exhaust.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:46 PM
akodust
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Went from Mobil 1 to Redline in all three holes. I can tell the difference. Redline is better for me. I got 15,000 on bike. just my 2cents.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...Oil_Powerpacks