Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IOS13 CarPlay phone audio issue boom Gts

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 11:36 AM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 183 Posts

If you have a Harley branded Sena 30K and you are having issues then follow my instructions. If you are not having issues, or if you have another brand of headset, like a PackTalk Bold then follow my instructions.

If you follow my instructions and you headset has voice activation, like a PackTalk Bold device, you do not lose any functionality by having the microphone disabled. In fact, you gain the ability to use CarPlay with a non-Harley branded headset. I have a WHIM on my CVO and a PackTalk Bold. I did not even have the option to use CarPlay before having the microphone disabled.

Since my headset and most others are either voice activated using a command like 'Hey Siri' or by hitting the voice assistant button on the headset, nothing is lost. In fact, if you follow my instructions, a WHIM is not even required. So you save the cost of the WHIM plus installation by following my instructions, step by step.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:45 AM
TxDeuce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So in reviewing your steps if I read correctly I am never pair my HD30K headset? Therein lies the problem. How will I be able to listen to my XM radio that I installed to the BoomAudio? I have a lifetime subscription and it is a lifeline fir being able to listen to music ANYWHERE I’m riding. If you don’t have a phone signal in the country, that’s no bueno.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:19 PM
RiderX
Road Master

Originally Posted by TxDeuce
So in reviewing your steps if I read correctly I am never pair my HD30K headset? Therein lies the problem. How will I be able to listen to my XM radio that I installed to the BoomAudio? I have a lifetime subscription and it is a lifeline fir being able to listen to music ANYWHERE I’m riding. If you don’t have a phone signal in the country, that’s no bueno.
I am sorry but you are not reading correctly. You pair your HD30K headset to your phone and connect it to your bike via USB, thus bypassing the WHIM. I am not sure how much more clear I can be. You can still listen to XM, which I also have and listen to all of the time, your Apple Music, your Boom radio, Pandora -if you have it, AudioBooks - if that's your thing, or any audio you like. I posted very detailed steps and others have confirmed my instructions work.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:59 PM
TxDeuce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sincerely appreciate your efforts to explain your process for making CarPlay work while having my iPhone 11 Pro connected via USB.

I think I will wait for either Apple or Harley to fix their software bug issue for the iPhone 11 family. It shouldn’t have to be as involved to make Carplay work as easily as it does for the older iPhone products. That’s ultimately the frustrating part. It’s seamless with the older phones.

I can live without CarPlay. I haven’t had it all these years of riding. What’s a few more months? Safe riding and sincerely thanks for your passion with the forum. We need more riders like you.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:19 PM
RiderX
Road Master

Originally Posted by TxDeuce
I sincerely appreciate your efforts to explain your process for making CarPlay work while having my iPhone 11 Pro connected via USB.

I think I will wait for either Apple or Harley to fix their software bug issue for the iPhone 11 family. It shouldn’t have to be as involved to make Carplay work as easily as it does for the older iPhone products. That’s ultimately the frustrating part. It’s seamless with the older phones.

I can live without CarPlay. I haven’t had it all these years of riding. What’s a few more months? Safe riding and sincerely thanks for your passion with the forum. We need more riders like you.

Thank you for the kinds word man! I really appreciate it.

Old 03-06-2020, 02:39 AM
Kazu Hiro
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by vedavyasa@gmail.com
I found a new issue with the HD Boom Audio GTS and iOS13. . With the new iOS13 the CarPlay phone call does not work, all other features including voice to text, text to voice, music, maps, WhatsApp calls etc works. I use a wired iPhone connection to the bike and a wireless boom audio 30K headset. Tried everything including software update, WHIM update etc. Informed HD customer care. Tried with an older version iOS phone and it works well. It’s also funny, the phone audio works (very low volume) on Bluetooth when I remove the wired connection of the phone to the bike. I was wondering if anyone else finds this issue ?
This may or may not work but try resetting the network connections then reconnecting your Bluetooth devices. Worked to get my 2019 CVO RG to work with my XS Max after the iOS 13.1 update.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:40 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,989 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by RiderX
If you have a Harley branded Sena 30K and you are having issues then follow my instructions. If you are not having issues, or if you have another brand of headset, like a PackTalk Bold then follow my instructions.

If you follow my instructions and you headset has voice activation, like a PackTalk Bold device, you do not lose any functionality by having the microphone disabled. In fact, you gain the ability to use CarPlay with a non-Harley branded headset. I have a WHIM on my CVO and a PackTalk Bold. I did not even have the option to use CarPlay before having the microphone disabled.

Since my headset and most others are either voice activated using a command like 'Hey Siri' or by hitting the voice assistant button on the headset, nothing is lost. In fact, if you follow my instructions, a WHIM is not even required. So you save the cost of the WHIM plus installation by following my instructions, step by step.
Packtalk is of no interest to me. I want the boom audio and the HD brand 20s to work with my bike as it came. My CVO came with the whim, the 20s and so on. I use my CB so I need to be connected through the WHIM. I really do not think it is too much to ask to have the system work as designed on a 42K motorcycle.

I am sorry but you are not reading correctly. You pair your HD30K headset to your phone and connect it to your bike via USB, thus bypassing the WHIM. I am not sure how much more clear I can be. You can still listen to XM, which I also have and listen to all of the time, your Apple Music, your Boom radio, Pandora -if you have it, AudioBooks - if that's your thing, or any audio you like. I posted very detailed steps and others have confirmed my instructions work.
No I cant use my CB if I bypass the WHIM. I cant use my XM subscription though my helmet speakers if I bypass the whim.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:25 AM
RiderX
Road Master

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
No I cant use my CB if I bypass the WHIM. I cant use my XM subscription though my helmet speakers if I bypass the whim.
I primarily listen to my XM subscription through my bike's speakers. There may be a way to get this to work but I would have to play around with it a bit more. You have me curious now. Stay tuned.

However, you can listen to XM through the app that is on your iPhone. Just login to the app with your XM account and you are good to go.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:02 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,989 Likes on 2,365 Posts

I primarily listen to my XM subscription through my bike's speakers. There may be a way to get this to work but I would have to play around with it a bit more. You have me curious now. Stay tuned.

However, you can listen to XM through the app that is on your iPhone. Just login to the app with your XM account and you are good to go.
Not really, one I do not have unlimited Data on my Phone. Also the area I live in, much of our areas we ride has no cell service. On a 250 mile ride I will have about 150 to 175 miles of little to no service.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:07 PM
streetglide2019
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a simple fix for everyone having this issue. I have documented the exact details and steps on the thread in the link below. The quick version is have your dealer hook your radio up to Digital Tech and have them disable the microphone option in Car Play. Do not use the WHIM at all, just pair your phone to your headset, and connect your iPhone to the bike via the USB cable. Phone audio will work over your headset; even 3rd party headsets like Cardo PackTalk.

GTS PackTalk Bold Update
hi, thanks but this workaround defeats the investment in WHIM and HD headset. It’s definitely a HD software issue as the phone and carplay work fine in my jeep 2020

Quick Reply: IOS13 CarPlay phone audio issue boom Gts