Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IOS13 CarPlay phone audio issue boom Gts

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 10:56 PM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by TxDeuce
So I'm a little late to the game but pretty much experiencing the same thing everyone else is: iphone 11 pro running iOS 13, bluetooth calls work just fine with Harley 30K headset on a 2020 Road Glide Limited with XM and WHIM modules. But as soon as I hardwire into USB for CarPlay, everything except phone audio for over 30K works. Took into dealership and we tried older phone and CarPlay worked just fine.

Just started riding new Harley but looking forward to fix.. Thanks.
There is a simple fix for everyone having this issue. I have documented the exact details and steps on the thread in the link below. The quick version is have your dealer hook your radio up to Digital Tech and have them disable the microphone option in Car Play. Do not use the WHIM at all, just pair your phone to your headset, and connect your iPhone to the bike via the USB cable. Phone audio will work over your headset; even 3rd party headsets like Cardo PackTalk.

GTS PackTalk Bold Update

The following users liked this post:
woodreaux (05-07-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 05:33 AM
TxDeuce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We did disable the microphone in Digital Tech just as you described and it did not resolve the issue for my iPhone 11 pro. We verified that CarPlay was working by plugging in the techs older iPhone and CarPlay worked perfect. We then tried a second techs older iPhone and his also worked. However, when we plugged my iPhone 11 Pro I was not able to have audio on phone calls. Just curious what iPhone do you have?

Old 02-27-2020, 07:21 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,989 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by vedavyasa@gmail.com
I tweeted to HD too. they responded. This he twitter conversation is here https://twitter.com/harleydavidson/s...93832482496514.
please do reply on this so HD sees the interest in public.
Harley is obviously in no rush to fix this at all. I called them back in October 2019. Still have same issue, cant use phone feature as there is no volume with the iPhone 11, older versions work. I believe its a HD issue as CarPlay works fine in my 17 truck, with no software updates, works fine in my 18 car with no software updates but will not work on my 19 CVO, or the 20 CVO.

All other features work like using Siri to text, or ask for directions.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:24 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,989 Likes on 2,365 Posts

We did disable the microphone in Digital Tech just as you described and it did not resolve the issue for my iPhone 11 pro. We verified that CarPlay was working by plugging in the techs older iPhone and CarPlay worked perfect. We then tried a second techs older iPhone and his also worked. However, when we plugged my iPhone 11 Pro I was not able to have audio on phone calls. Just curious what iPhone do you have?
Correct issue is only with the iPhone 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max. Older iPhones work just fine.

Also I have tested with the HD Brand Sena 20s and the HD brand Sena 30K, it does not work with either as far as phone calls, everything else works.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:53 AM
RiderX
Road Master

I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max and it works perfectly fine. I have tested it hundreds of times. Please read the thread I posted above. It matters in which order you plug everything in and turn everything on.

I posted the wrong link above. I am going to make another quick reply with the exact details that I posted in a different thread. My apologies for posting the wrong link.

Last edited by RiderX; 02-27-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:13 AM
RiderX
Road Master

This is my reply to someone from another thread. If you want to read the entire thread, which does contain good information, the link is below. Again, it is important to pay particular attention to section that outlines the order in which you should connect and turn on your devices. Just to be clear, I am using an iPhone 11 Pro Max in Midnight Green, the best color of course. Please let me know if you find this helpful.

'19 Boom GTS CarPlay Hack?

Originally Posted by RiderX View Post
I have done some additional, extensive testing and found answers to the very questions you are asking. The short answer is there is a specific process you must follow. Before beginning this process, certain settings and pairings have to first be in place.
  1. Make sure your PackTalk is paired via Bluetooth to your iPhone. Do this without the bike being powered on or without the phone being plugged into the bike.
    1. power on the PackTalk,
    2. go the the Bluetooth settings of the iPhone
    3. press and hold the bottom button the PackTalk for 5 seconds until in begins flashing rapidly (I forget the color combination)
    4. look for the PackTalk bold on your iPhone and select it to pair it.
    5. confirm pairing is successful
    6. turn off your PackTalk
Before continuing, it is ABSOLUTELY important to make sure that you disable the Rider Headset on your bike so that the PacTalk is not nor ever gets paired to the GTS radio.
  1. power on your bike
  2. go to 'wireless headset setup'
  3. make sure rider headset is set to disabled
It is also extremely important to confirm that the phone is not paired to your bike by checking the Bluetooth settings. If you see you phone listed under Bluetooth devices on your bike, click on it and choose 'forget device'.

The last preparation step is making sure that the Audio Routing options - for music, coms, and prompts are all set to headset and not the bike's speakers.

So at this point...
  1. Your PackTalk has been paired to your phone but your PackTalk is powered off
  2. There are absolutely no pairings between your phone and your bike or your PackTalk and your bike (if there were, they should have been deleted or 'forgotten' by now)
  3. Your bike is powered off and your phone is not plugged into the USB port of your bike
  4. All 'Audio Routing' for music, coms, and prompts are set to the headset and not the bike's speakers
Here is the process you will follow for the rest of eternity to get this to work. Any deviation from the process will cause weird, unpredictable, and illogical behavior between the functionality of the iPhone, GTS radio, and PackTalk bold.

You MUST CONNECT & POWER ON DEVICES IN THIS ORDER.
  1. Make sure you have no audio of any sort playing on the iPhone. In fact to be safe, close the Music app on the iPhone altogether.
  2. Plug the iPhone into the USB port of the bike.
  3. Power on the bike and wait a few seconds for the CarPlay icon to appear or until the GTS goes to the CarPlay Screen.
    1. If music starts playing, sometimes the bike remembers the status of CarPlay when it was last connected, pause it immediately, either on the CarPlay screen of the bike or the phone itself, unplug the phone from the USB port on the bike, shutdown the bike, and start from step 1 of this section again.
  4. Power on the PackTalk.
  5. Listen to the PackTalk speakers to hear the welcome message and the message that says your iPhone is connected.
  6. Wait about 10 seconds, at the most, for all of the connections to establish and settle down.
That's it. Use Siri or CarPlay to your heart's content. I strongly recommend getting a PackTalk Bold because it has 'Hey Siri' functionality built into the microphone without having to press any buttons on the headset. For example, if I want to make a call, I just say, "Hey Siri", wait for the Siri indicator on the GTS as well as the audio prompt, and then say things like "Call my wife", "Send a text to...", "get directions to", "read my last text", or anything you want Siri to do.

I also want to add that all incoming and outgoing phone calls work perfectly and audio routing goes to the PackTalk speakers 100% of the time for both.

The only caveat to this setup, and I have not given up yet, is that if you say "Hey Siri, play Crazy B*tch by Buckcherry", it will play through your PackTalk speakers. I will only say, and I am sure you will not believe me and test for your self, there is no easy way without screwing up other functionality to get the audio to your bike's speakers. I digress. More to come on this topic in a future post.

Lastly, the only thing that remains to be tested, and I have every intention of doing so, is DMC communication mode with my buddies who also have PackTalk devices. I had odd an odd issue last summer, but I had not figured all of this out yet, wherein, I could not communicate with them in DMC mode unless I disabled the Rider Headset on the GTS. I am hoping since the above configuration already involves disabling the headset, I should be good to go.

I will be traveling to Nashville for the next few days so I will not be able to do any more testing until I return on Friday. In the meantime, give this a shot, and let me know if you find any of this helpful.

If anyone has any recommendations on funs things to do do in Nashville or wants to meet up for a drink, let me know.

Last edited by RiderX; 02-27-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:31 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by RiderX
There is a simple fix for everyone having this issue. I have documented the exact details and steps on the thread in the link below. The quick version is have your dealer hook your radio up to Digital Tech and have them disable the microphone option in Car Play. Do not use the WHIM at all, just pair your phone to your headset, and connect your iPhone to the bike via the USB cable. Phone audio will work over your headset; even 3rd party headsets like Cardo PackTalk.

GTS PackTalk Bold Update
this is not a 'fix'. i'm not willing to give up the mic for the ability to make/take a phone call on the bike. if someone calls, i can see who it is, and if i need to, i'll pull over and call them back. hell, most of the calls i get anyway are spam.

The only caveat to this setup, and I have not given up yet, is that if you say "Hey Siri, play Crazy B*tch by Buckcherry", it will play through your PackTalk speakers. I will only say, and I am sure you will not believe me and test for your self, there is no easy way without screwing up other functionality to get the audio to your bike's speakers. I digress. More to come on this topic in a future post.
oooh, i know an easy fix for that. don't play crazy bitch by buck cherry.

Last edited by skratch; 02-27-2020 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:46 PM
RiderX
Road Master

Originally Posted by skratch
this is not a 'fix'. i'm not willing to give up the mic for the ability to make/take a phone call on the bike. if someone calls, i can see who it is, and if i need to, i'll pull over and call them back. hell, most of the calls i get anyway are spam.
If you have a PackTalk bold, you can just say 'Hey Siri' and use the mic built into your headset. Even on another brand of headset that has a button to activate Siri, most all do, you can hit that button and then use the headset mic to speak your command. I am not sure why you think you are losing microphone functionality. You are only losing the voice activation button functionality on the bike itself.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:15 AM
harleydude-fla
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

All this information is fine but it does not fix the issue with iPhone 11 and CarPlay phone audio not working issues. How do you communicate with the CB radio without using the Boombox? Anyone can connect a phone to a Bluetooth headset so this is not really a workaround at all. Apple and Harley-Davidson need to get the problem ironed out and work with the iPhone 11’s using the wired mic or the WHIM Bluetooth systems

The following users liked this post:
FLSTFI Dave (03-06-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 10:21 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

If you have a PackTalk bold, you can just say 'Hey Siri' and use the mic built into your headset. Even on another brand of headset that has a button to activate Siri, most all do, you can hit that button and then use the headset mic to speak your command. I am not sure why you think you are losing microphone functionality. You are only losing the voice activation button functionality on the bike itself.
I have a hd branded sena 30k. the reason why I think I would be losing microphone functionality comes directly from your instructions, "have them disable the microphone option in Car Play"

you would have to be losing functionality if you disable something.

Quick Reply: IOS13 CarPlay phone audio issue boom Gts