Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IOS13 CarPlay phone audio issue boom Gts

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 12:44 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Smittyjf
Called HD today to convey my displeasure with this carplay situation. They wanted a ton of information from me including pictures of my software and hardware versions on my trike. They also wanted screen shots of my call routing on my phone (which it does not have). He said this will light a fire under the engineers to fix it. He did say they know about the problem. I was not happy with jumping through hoops for the information they wanted. I told him to have them go buy an iPhone 11 and then any iPhone below that (10, 10r, 8,7) and figure it out already!
I also sent them a video of my testing with my iPhone 11 and then my wife's 10r. itworks fine with hers but not mine.
One thing I did see is when I adjust the boom volume during a call with my wife's iPhone 10r it says "PHONE" and when I do it during a call with my iPhone 11 it says "TUNER/MEDIA"
I would call it a hardware issue on an iPhone 11 but it works perfectly in my SUV.

Smitty
Shot in the dark here because I'm not an iPhone guy:
Try going back to your pairing on the GTS, disconnect the media connection & try it that way.
I know Android pairing has different profiles for media phone functions & they can be selected/paired for one, the other, or both. The iPhone 11 may be connecting media first or higher priority than phone?

From the GTS Manual:

Since there aren't specific graphics/menu displays for what I'm describing, here's some follow up examples from my GT (sorry, GTS is on order but not here/installed).

This shows the phone pairing options:

It shows 1 device paired & only the phone pairing is active (because I don't connect/use media from my phone)

I don't think the media BT connection is needed using Apple Car Play? Isn't that routed directly on the wired connection? If so you should still have media play via the wired connection so disconnecting the BT media connection shouldn't be a problem? Or maybe the phone BT needs to be disconnected, forcing phone audio via USB? IDK. Like I said to start, I'm not an Apple guy & just offering a shot (or 2) in the dark.

Last edited by Hammz; 01-22-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:56 AM
harleydude-fla
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

To Keep this discussion on track - The system has worked fine with iPhone models prior to the iPhone 11

Old 01-23-2020, 01:09 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
I don't think the media BT connection is needed using Apple Car Play? Isn't that routed directly on the wired connection? If so you should still have media play via the wired connection so disconnecting the BT media connection shouldn't be a problem? Or maybe the phone BT needs to be disconnected, forcing phone audio via USB? IDK. Like I said to start, I'm not an Apple guy & just offering a shot (or 2) in the dark.
As far as the iPhone goes, BT and CarPlay are completely different functions. When Carplay is connected, the iphone disables BT with the infotainment system. There are some systems that can use Carplay over BT, but the HD system is not one of them (I wish!). So deleting and re-setting up BT won't help, unfortunately. I followed steps from Apple that reset the iPhone11 and I also reset the infotainment center, none of which helped.

There was also a BT issue with the iPhone11 that made audio on both sides of the conversation too garbled to understand, but a recent iOS update corrected that, although Siri is now so low volume that it's hard to hear despite all phone volumes set to max and the infotainment volume while connected to siri is at max.

Like everyone else mentioned, this is only on the iPhone11. My previous 6S worked perfectly.

The following users liked this post:
Aviator5456 (03-28-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 11:00 PM
harleydude-fla
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

January 23 Update

I spent some time today with Apple support on the CarPlay issue. Issue still is not resolved but I was able to convince them that this is only an issue with the iPhone 11 models. The phone app in CarPlay will make a call and receive calls but no audio whatsoever using CarPlay. Audio did work for voice directions and a couple of other apps that I tried and Siri would respond too but could not get phone calls to work with using Siri either. I also connected a iPhone 8, iPhone XR (10) and my wife’s iPhone 6s and they all worked as they should thru CarPlay. Keeping fingers crossed that we’ll get it fixed before long.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:26 AM
AmericanPatriot
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydude-fla
January 23 Update

I spent some time today with Apple support on the CarPlay issue. Issue still is not resolved but I was able to convince them that this is only an issue with the iPhone 11 models. The phone app in CarPlay will make a call and receive calls but no audio whatsoever using CarPlay. Audio did work for voice directions and a couple of other apps that I tried and Siri would respond too but could not get phone calls to work with using Siri either. I also connected a iPhone 8, iPhone XR (10) and my wife’s iPhone 6s and they all worked as they should thru CarPlay. Keeping fingers crossed that we’ll get it fixed before long.
gents,

having the same problem. Had it to the dealership and they updated the infotainment firmware and all works on my iPhone 11 WITH THE EXCEPTION OF PHONE CALLS. Not working in CarPlay or through the infotainment system at all. I can answer, but can’t hear and no one can hear me. I can talk to Siri for texting but no phone calls.

If I turn the bike (2019 CVO SG, btw brand new which adds to the frustration) off, the phone and the Sena device (came with a 20S EVO- has an orange label on the inside) I can make calls fine and clear.

I spoke with HD like some of y’all did and the rep said they are aware and are working on it, though I’ll be honest that in my personal experience HD has subpar customer service and product support. I’m not convinced they will develop a solution anytime soon. Their responses often concur up the image of a person who is not in a hurry to address a customer’s request for help... like they could take or leave it. And for money ya pay for their bikes, products, and gear... well... their is a significant reason people are leaving the brand. The Pan American, the Bronx and the LiveWire won’t make up the difference, HD. They are/will be overpriced too.

I like HD motorcycles but they make a subpar product and accessories.

If you’re listening HD, step up your product and rein in your Stealerships. Bring quality and customer care back to your ridership. No business is promised tomorrow... (Think Sears...)

Old 01-25-2020, 07:10 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by AmericanPatriot
gents,

having the same problem. Had it to the dealership and they updated the infotainment firmware and all works on my iPhone 11 WITH THE EXCEPTION OF PHONE CALLS. Not working in CarPlay or through the infotainment system at all. I can answer, but can’t hear and no one can hear me. I can talk to Siri for texting but no phone calls.

If I turn the bike (2019 CVO SG, btw brand new which adds to the frustration) off, the phone and the Sena device (came with a 20S EVO- has an orange label on the inside) I can make calls fine and clear.

I spoke with HD like some of y’all did and the rep said they are aware and are working on it, though I’ll be honest that in my personal experience HD has subpar customer service and product support. I’m not convinced they will develop a solution anytime soon. Their responses often concur up the image of a person who is not in a hurry to address a customer’s request for help... like they could take or leave it. And for money ya pay for their bikes, products, and gear... well... their is a significant reason people are leaving the brand. The Pan American, the Bronx and the LiveWire won’t make up the difference, HD. They are/will be overpriced too.

I like HD motorcycles but they make a subpar product and accessories.

If you’re listening HD, step up your product and rein in your Stealerships. Bring quality and customer care back to your ridership. No business is promised tomorrow... (Think Sears...)
Welcome to the forums. Now take you problem to Apple & let them fix their iPhone 11.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:34 AM
AmericanPatriot
Stage III

Originally Posted by Hammz
Welcome to the forums. Now take you problem to Apple & let them fix their iPhone 11.
None iphone guy, your post seems like a personal shot the way it was framed. Did I hit your nerve with my opinion on HD?

Btw, not sure it is an IPhone issue.

In the end, HD should provide their customers with better customer support and message it out. My phone works with my truck and SUV.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:14 AM
Braulio
Stage II

I have the same problem but in my case it is worse. The Harley Davidson representative in Portugal is not aware of the case and does not have the concern to resolve it because he told me to send an email explaining the case to Harley Davidson America and Apple. Frustrating

Old 01-25-2020, 02:34 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by AmericanPatriot
None iphone guy, your post seems like a personal shot the way it was framed. Did I hit your nerve with my opinion on HD?

Btw, not sure it is an IPhone issue.

In the end, HD should provide their customers with better customer support and message it out. My phone works with my truck and SUV.
Well it seems you may not have read all the posts in the thread? New member, 1st post & sure it's an H-D problem? The nerve you struck has more to do with forum etiquette than anything else.

Everyone posting in this thread has indicated the issue is specific to the iPhone 11, not earlier versions. Obvious that Apple changed something, whether it is software, firmware or hardware such that there is an audio issue with the phone function. If it's an H-D problem, H-D could better address the issue if Apple does due diligence & shares change info with H-D. If it's an iPhone issue, Apple still needs to address the problem.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:37 PM
otto.maddox
Cruiser
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Just to add to the pile. My iPhone 11 Pro Max doesn’t let me make or take calls on the bike through CarPlay.

my iPhone 8 works just fine.

Both on current IOS.

Glad it’s not just me. I don’t need the phone that badly while riding most of the time but on the really long rides sometimes it’s nice.

Quick Reply: IOS13 CarPlay phone audio issue boom Gts