Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyed vs. Keyless Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019 | 03:04 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by RoadGlideUltraStageIV
I do have the owners manual for my bike and it only says for Keyless this... and for Keyed that... No statement as to why and which the bike actually is.
Didn't you get the equipment list "window sticker" for your bike? Didn't the salesman review the equipment with you? Have you set up a PIN for when the battery in the FOB fails?

Old 09-28-2019 | 05:00 PM
RoadGlideUltraStageIV
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by btsom
Didn't you get the equipment list "window sticker" for your bike? Didn't the salesman review the equipment with you? Have you set up a PIN for when the battery in the FOB fails?
I bought the bike second hand so I don't have all the options and history for the bike. I wish I did have all that stuff. I'd have fewer questions for sure.
Thanks

Old 09-28-2019 | 06:32 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

I bought the bike second hand so I don't have all the options and history for the bike. I wish I did have all that stuff. I'd have fewer questions for sure.
Thanks
That explains a lot. My last question is the most important. If you haven't set a PIN, and learned how to use it, you will marooned when the fob fails and will be asking how to start the machine so you can get home.

Old 09-29-2019 | 08:51 PM
RoadGlideUltraStageIV
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by btsom
That explains a lot. My last question is the most important. If you haven't set a PIN, and learned how to use it, you will marooned when the fob fails and will be asking how to start the machine so you can get home.
Thank you for bringing that to my attention btsom! I thought I had the code but I couldn't remember it or find it. I have now reprogrammed it and have it saved in a safe place so I will not get myself in trouble.

Old 09-29-2019 | 09:04 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ORradtech
I thought I'd read where the newer bikes don't come with a physical owners manual. That the manual is a downloadable pdf.
Still doable but certainly not as intuitive.
Just bought a 2020 RG Limited. Came with an owners manual.

Boom manual not included, that's a download.

Old 09-30-2019 | 09:02 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member

Try this. With front wheel pointed straight, rotate ignition switch counterclockwise so #8 is at the12 O'clock position. While pushing down on switch, insert key and rotate clockwise to the #3 position and remove key while still in the #3 position. The ignition switch should now be locked, and will not rotate clockwise. Turn front wheel full left, and the fork lock will engage. Now try to start the bike without using the key.

FWIW, I could not find the word "keyless" in the online version of the 2017 Touring Models Owner's manual, although I'll admit I only read the section related to the ignition switch.

Old 09-30-2019 | 03:15 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
This came up while my buddy and I were on a trip in Canada last week. He has an 18 CVO Road Glide, and I have a 19 Street Glide.
On my SG, you must turn the switch to ignition to start it, and if you thumb the engine switch to OFF, all the accessories and lights stay on as long as the ignition switch is still on.
On his RG, you turn on the ignition to start it and when you thumb the engine switch to OFF, all if his lights, accy's, screen, etc turn off! Why does everything turn off with his thumb/engine switch, and mine do not??
Because your buddy's bike is CVO, and yours is not. His keyless ignition switch IS the OFF/RUN switch on the right hand switch module. Thumbing the switch to OFF cuts power to everything. If accessory mode is desired, it's done by pressing, and holding the trigger switch on the left hand switch module.

The following 2 users liked this post by barneyboy:
PadreL (11-04-2019), RoadGlideUltraStageIV (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019 | 02:23 AM
RoadGlideUltraStageIV
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by barneyboy

Try this. With front wheel pointed straight, rotate ignition switch counterclockwise so #8 is at the12 O'clock position. While pushing down on switch, insert key and rotate clockwise to the #3 position and remove key while still in the #3 position. The ignition switch should now be locked, and will not rotate clockwise. Turn front wheel full left, and the fork lock will engage. Now try to start the bike without using the key.

FWIW, I could not find the word "keyless" in the online version of the 2017 Touring Models Owner's manual, although I'll admit I only read the section related to the ignition switch.
I did exactly as you suggested and even with the forks locked, the engine still starts. That really surprised me. The key simply has no effect on the ignition.

Keyless is not mentioned in the Switch section; it is mentioned in the Security section.

Old 10-03-2019 | 05:20 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by barneyboy

I did exactly as you suggested and even with the forks locked, the engine still starts.
Your bike is equipped with a keyed ignition switch. There should be no power to either the ignition circuit, or the accessories circuit when the switch is in the OFF, or FORK LOCK position, whether or not the key is in the LOCK, or UNLOCK position.

My guess would be a defective ignition switch. About $100 if you replace it yourself.