Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm still undecided on slip ons, advice wanted please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019 | 06:00 PM
snerkler
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by slapshot12
I have the V&H twin slash rounds and really like them. They’re exactly what I wanted, slightly louder, better sound, and better looking. If I ever change bikes, I’ll get them again.
Thanks, I’ll find out for myself soon enough as I’ve ordered some

The following users liked this post:
Phoenix123 (07-23-2020)
Old 09-21-2019 | 06:07 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by snerkler
I've been looking at numerous slip ons for my 2019 Road King for several weeks now and I don't seem to be any closer to reaching a decision, the main reason is not being able to listen to any in 'real life' and just going on videos and reviews etc. I know this is far from the best way, but I have asked around my local HD clubs and my local dealer and no-one has the slip ons I'm looking at fitted so I'm not sure if I'll ever get to hear them before purchasing.

So the main reasons that I want slip ons is to get more of a Harley burble (as much as you can with slip ons only on an M8 engine) but also to increase the sound, not super loud but just so that I get to hear and enjoy them whilst riding. I don't really hear the exhaust note a great deal at the moment (stock pipes) and can hear the actual engine noise and gearbox more. Obviously I know that you hear more exhaust note behind the bike, but it would be nice to hear it whilst riding too.

So I've gone round and round between the Vance and Hines Twin Slash and hi output, although tbh the hi output are out of budget but IF they are the ones I want I am prepared to wait. From listening to numerous videos (I know not ideal) I do like the sound of the Twin Slash better, especially at idle. I like how they 'burble' more and sound as though the bikes only just ticking over. I also think under load they sound more 'traditional' whereas the hi output have a slight 'race' sound to them. So I thought I was dead set on the Twin Slash but then I hear a lot of people saying they're not loud and no louder than stock, although on the flip side some say they are louder than stock just not obnoxious.

I was under the impression that the hi outputs were louder but I contacted V&H yesterday and they told me that the Twin Slash are louder than the Hi Output which took me by surprise, especially when I listen to the video I've posted below where the hi outputs sound louder and more aggressive to me. The video also demonstrates the 'burble' on tick over on the Twin Slash I'm referring to.

V&H also threw another couple of pipe into the equation that are the loudest slip ons they do, the Eliminator 400 and the other I've forgotten I also asked V&H about the sound level at idle, and they told me that no pipe is loud at idle unless you change the cams.

The Eliminator are a similar price to the Twin Slash so they're do-able, but from videos I think I still prefer the 'burble' of the Twin Slash.

So long story short, I think I'm going to have to take a punt so what I want to know is whether the Twin Slash and Eliminator 400 are:-

1) Noticeably louder than stock but not obnoxious?
2) A fraction louder than stock but not that noticeable?
3) No louder than stock just a deeper tone?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N80...&index=16&t=0s

One thing to consider, the twin slash in this video is not on a stock bike. The bike has a RC header and a S+S 465 cam. The twin slash is not gonna sound close to this on a stock M8 bike.

snerkler (09-22-2019)
Old 09-21-2019 | 08:25 PM
deli
Novice

West End Motorsports and John Maxwell both have extensive touring exhaust comparisons posted on their YouTube channels. That may help you decide although nothing beats hearing them up close and personal

snerkler (09-22-2019)
Old 09-21-2019 | 08:46 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

1801-1139 Khrome Werks 50-STATE COMPLIANT 4.50" HP-Plus Slip-On Mufflers for Milwaukee 8

Get all kinds of comments on these .. Nice Rumble and slight bark when taking off and while goosing it a bit in the twisties.

Last edited by sumncguy; 09-21-2019 at 08:48 PM.
snerkler (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019 | 02:59 AM
snerkler
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Quik
One thing to consider, the twin slash in this video is not on a stock bike. The bike has a RC header and a S+S 465 cam. The twin slash is not gonna sound close to this on a stock M8 bike.
Yeah thanks, I actually noticed this myself the other day I realise M8's don't sound as good/authentic. As I don't want anything too loud I'd rather start with something that I know ins't going to be obnoxious, and then if it's not loud enough there's always options to make it louder. If it's too obnoxious from the start there's not much you can do to make it quieter.

Originally Posted by deli
West End Motorsports and John Maxwell both have extensive touring exhaust comparisons posted on their YouTube channels. That may help you decide although nothing beats hearing them up close and personal
Thanks, I've been watching those. The best ones for me J&P imo as they're the only comparison videos I've found that demonstrate sound at idle, under acceleration and ride by, which is when you hear the bike. All these where they rev the bike on the side stand doesn't really help me as I'm never going to hear my bike like this, bikes sound different under load.

Old 09-22-2019 | 03:02 AM
snerkler
|
Tourer

I've now ordered some Twin Slash so no longer need advice thanks, I don't seem to be able to edit my original post though to save people continuing to answer, is there any way I can do this? It appears that you can only edit your posts for so long.

Old 09-22-2019 | 05:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by snerkler
I've now ordered some Twin Slash so no longer need advice thanks, I don't seem to be able to edit my original post though to save people continuing to answer, is there any way I can do this? It appears that you can only edit your posts for so long.
There were repeated problems some while ago with people repeatedly editing their posts. I've no idea what was actually going on. We can edit for a short while after writing a new post, however after a while the editing facility is shut down. You've probably done all you can! This post probably has plenty of legs yet...

Last edited by grbrown; 09-22-2019 at 05:42 AM.
snerkler (09-22-2019)