Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm still undecided on slip ons, advice wanted please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2019 | 10:38 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

I know you didn't specifically ask, but the wife and I are both running Rinehart 4'' slip ons on our 2019s with stock headpipes (with cat). not obnoxiously loud, but a little louder than stock. has a nice, deep tone. another set of pipes that sound good are the s&s mk45. I think they sound better than the Rinehart, but I got good deals on the rineharts and couldn't find any deals on the s&s.

The following users liked this post:
snerkler (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019 | 11:01 AM
milleda31
Road Captain
Old 09-20-2019 | 11:03 AM
snerkler
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
Wiki tells us that Chesterfield's a LARGE town! Similar in population to Bedford, in fact. Plain truth is that we Harleys owners in the UK are thinly spread and despite owning them for over 40 years I seldom meet any on the open road. For many years I was the only owner in my favourite Club and even now there are only a handful of us (non of them with a similar Touring bike to either yours or mine!).

As a tangential suggestion, if you don't wear ear plugs, try them. Dirt cheap and may alter what you hear, certainly will take away any wind roar.
Do they really class Chesterfield as a large town? We have the Chrome Hill group in our area but none have the right set up.

I do wear ear plugs, I'd be deaf without them tbh as the wind noise due to the turbulence I get from the screen is pretty extreme at anything over 60mph. That's the problem with being 6'4", you sit right in the turbulent air, but it's not exclusive to Harley, I've had it with every bike that's had a decent sized screen. But that's not why I can't hear the exhaust note, I can't hear it a great deal under acceleration from a stand still, or at speeds under 60mph. I'd say it's actually quieter than my GS Adventure

Originally Posted by mmclaughlin316@yahoo.com
I've got Eliminator 400s on my 2016 FLHP. I tried them with the standard baffles first and they were too loud for my neighborhood at 7AM. I put the optional quieter baffles in, wrapped with stainless wool and then ceramic blanket and it's quiet enough when you idle along (still louder than stock), but when you get on it, you can hear it WAY on down the road. When your cruising at 50-80 you can hear it but not to the point of being annoying, and when you back off the throttle from say 3500rpm, it has this really cool fairly loud burble. I wouldn't trade them for any other setup.
Thanks, sounds like the eliminator 400's might be too loud for me then, are the baffles easy to swap over?

Old 09-20-2019 | 11:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Skratch has just prompted a thought! On the simple principle of progressing in simple stages, rather than one big one, consider removing the cat in your current system, or disembowelling it. That will give a decent increase in sound output. You will of course need to tune your bike to match.

I haven't used them yet, but consider using HillTop Motorcycles in Hinckley for that. I plan on visiting them with my Buell soon. They are not familiar with Buells, not sure about their experience with Harleys, but they are imaginative chaps and come highly recommended by pals with other brands.

Last edited by grbrown; 09-20-2019 at 11:36 AM.
snerkler (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019 | 12:15 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

The M8's are significantly quieter than the Twin cams. Just the nature of the beast. I am running V&H 4" eliminators on my 2017 SG and they are a little louder than stock, deeper tone for sure and bark a tiny bit when you lay into it. The radio will drown them out pretty easily. I have run VH Monster rounds on twin cams in the past and they were loud. The eliminators are similar to them. Even with full headers the M8's are not loud until you drop another cam in them.

snerkler (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019 | 12:53 PM
snerkler
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
Skratch has just prompted a thought! On the simple principle of progressing in simple stages, rather than one big one, consider removing the cat in your current system, or disembowelling it. That will give a decent increase in sound output. You will of course need to tune your bike to match.

I haven't used them yet, but consider using HillTop Motorcycles in Hinckley for that. I plan on visiting them with my Buell soon. They are not familiar with Buells, not sure about their experience with Harleys, but they are imaginative chaps and come highly recommended by pals with other brands.
Thanks. I'm not wanting to do anything too extreme at present as I've still got the 2 year manufacturers warranty. I'll bear them in mind thanks.

Originally Posted by todd-67
The M8's are significantly quieter than the Twin cams. Just the nature of the beast. I am running V&H 4" eliminators on my 2017 SG and they are a little louder than stock, deeper tone for sure and bark a tiny bit when you lay into it. The radio will drown them out pretty easily. I have run VH Monster rounds on twin cams in the past and they were loud. The eliminators are similar to them. Even with full headers the M8's are not loud until you drop another cam in them.
Thanks for the info. A little louder is good, I don't have a radio to worry about I could always swap cams when my warranty runs out if I want louder, or on the flip side add quiet baffles if they're too loud.

Old 09-20-2019 | 01:28 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member

18 Road Glide here and the screaming eagle slip-ons aren't bad if you want a noticeable bump but not crazy. I will say that it seemed like they required about 5,000 miles to break in and get the best sound.

I'm probably going CFR though as I want a little louder. Need to drown out that Jetson whine of the M8.

snerkler (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019 | 01:46 PM
snerkler
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by wolverinehusky
18 Road Glide here and the screaming eagle slip-ons aren't bad if you want a noticeable bump but not crazy. I will say that it seemed like they required about 5,000 miles to break in and get the best sound.

I'm probably going CFR though as I want a little louder. Need to drown out that Jetson whine of the M8.
Thanks, it'd take me about 2 years to do 5000 miles, I don't go on long journeys and the bike will go away over winter. What's CFR?

Old 09-20-2019 | 01:56 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by snerkler
Thanks, it'd take me about 2 years to do 5000 miles, I don't go on long journeys and the bike will go away over winter. What's CFR?
Got it. I can only go from personal experience, but yea, IMHO the SE slip-ons need some wear before they start sounding pretty good. Could just be placebo on my part, but they sounded better after putting on some miles, but I ride basically everyday weather permitting.

CFR: https://www.cfrmotorcycles.com. Quality product and most will tell you they are in the "loud" range when compared to others (I suspect some will say they are too loud). But I'm going this route eventually.

Old 09-20-2019 | 02:00 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior

The Krome Werks 4.5 are the best sounding slipon mufflers for the M* engine, in my opinion. They have a deep rumble and are not obnoxiously loud.

The following 2 users liked this post by robbie52:
Ddieselsmoke (09-21-2019), snerkler (09-20-2019)

Quick Reply: I'm still undecided on slip ons, advice wanted please.