Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust for 2020 Road Glide Special

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019 | 04:52 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

i'm a fan of the slash up style end caps myself. if i can't get those, the straight cut come in second, but i really, really, can't see putting slash down exhaust on unless i really had to.

Old 09-21-2019 | 06:20 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Another vote for Magnaflow, I've ran in order these mufflers on the M8,
Street cannons
RCX 4.5
Rush Big Louie
S+S Mk45
Tab with zombie baffle
Magnaflow hitman
Magnaflow knockouts

Magnaflow has been my favorite by a country mile! This is certainly a subjective subject though so my taste may not mirror yours.

Last edited by Quik; 09-21-2019 at 09:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Steinberg1 (08-15-2020)
Old 09-21-2019 | 09:12 PM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer

Originally Posted by RK14SGS
Be aware the M8 engine platform relies on substantial exhaust back pressure to keep low end, seat of pants torque feeling like that of stock , snappy, zippy throttle response. You’ll find many “louder” mufflers are open, large baffles. These sound great, but low end response is typically lost.
S&S Mk45, Fuelmoto Jackpot Street Outlaws, S&S Grand National touring are three mufflers with removable torque inserts designed to allow for customizable torque “feeling” at low/mid rpm. Many threads you can review. Others will chime in as well I’m sure.
V&H twin slash will lose low end, ask me how I know, lol...
I'm in the market too, I'll have to check them out.
18 ultra

Old 09-22-2019 | 11:59 PM
TI06
Road Master

Originally Posted by Janet M
Hello HD,

On to my second post, I am sorry if this seems a little spammy, I just didn't want to combine two different questions into one thread in case anyone in the world of the internet wants to search the same thing I am looking for, keep it nice and clean.

We just bought a 2020 Road Glide Special, I didn't realize how quiet they were stock (that was shocking to me - first brand new Harley) we are looking into getting the exhaust done. We live in CA which has strict laws on the exhaust that can be on bikes. We are going to go with Slip-on's as most are approved (from what I have found) and we don't have to worry too much about tickets and whatnot.

Harley recommends that we go with Khrome Werks, which I believe is their exclusive brand. After watching a few videos on youtube (the very few I could find) the sound just didn't seem that great compared to other exhausts out there (no offense to anyone that has them).

During my research I have found these as what may be the top exhausts available:

Rinehart Touring 4” Slip-On Mufflers
Vance & Hines Twin Slash Slip-on Mufflers
Arlen Ness MagnaFlow Redline Slip-on Mufflers

They all sounded good to me from videos (no live demonstrations) however, the Rinehart Touring 4” Slip-On Mufflers stood out the most.

Does anyone have any feedback or recommendations? We want to do it right the first time, so we don't have to change it again.

*Disclaimer: New to the Harley/exhaust world, so may not understand complex ideas.
You may want to confirm with your dealer your warranty isn't voided changing to non Harley slip ons. I recently purchased a 2019 SGS and my service dept showed me a letter to sign that voids your warranty using non HD exhaust and tuning. I was told even slip ons were a no go.

Old 09-23-2019 | 12:04 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member

Originally Posted by TI06
You may want to confirm with your dealer your warranty isn't voided changing to non Harley slip ons. I recently purchased a 2019 SGS and my service dept showed me a letter to sign that voids your warranty using non HD exhaust and tuning. I was told even slip ons were a no go.
What the hell?
My dealer installed a FULL Rinehart system on mine, no cats, and a Zippers cam. The only thing they would not do is a PowerVision tuner. They said as long as I installed the SE tuner, my warranty would be intact.

Old 09-23-2019 | 12:25 AM
TI06
Road Master

I hear this a lot. It seems everybody is changing stuff and no issues with warranty. I just purchased my SGS a couple weeks ago so it's a new world in HD land now. This letter you sign off on is very real, they showed me in the service dept.

Old 09-23-2019 | 01:45 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member

Originally Posted by TI06
I hear this a lot. It seems everybody is changing stuff and no issues with warranty. I just purchased my SGS a couple weeks ago so it's a new world in HD land now. This letter you sign off on is very real, they showed me in the service dept.
Mine will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday. All of this work was done just a few weeks ago when I bought the bike.

Old 09-23-2019 | 01:46 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
What the hell?
My dealer installed a FULL Rinehart system on mine, no cats, and a Zippers cam. The only thing they would not do is a PowerVision tuner. They said as long as I installed the SE tuner, my warranty would be intact.

THIS!
My dealer advised against the V&H Tuner, but said everything else would be OK. In the end I went with Rinehart MotoPro 4.5 Slip-ons.
No low end lost all, no popping, bike runs friggin great and sounds it too.

Ddieselsmoke (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019 | 01:48 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member

Originally Posted by FDHOG
THIS!
My dealer advised against the V&H Tuner, but said everything else would be OK. In the end I went with Rinehart MotoPro 4.5 Slip-ons.
No low end lost all, no popping, bike runs friggin great and sounds it too.
Yeah, I finally burned mine in hard, and they sound fantastic. I don't know if I lost anything going to their narrow headers, or not, but I love them.

Ddieselsmoke (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019 | 02:33 PM
TI06
Road Master

i spoke with the manager at my dealer today and he told me as long as you use the HD tuner with stage 1 I'm good. No Power Vision which I have from my previous bike or TTS etc.... There is nothing stopping me from using PV except warranty concerns related to it.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for 2020 Road Glide Special