Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHX Cruise cable lash procedure not working, FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007 | 07:54 PM
swipter
|
Tourer
Default FLHX Cruise cable lash procedure not working, FIXED

So I installed the cruise on my FLHX. When you push the cruise switch the cruise icon on the tach comes on and the cruise switch light turns on. When I go to do the cable lash procedure per the service manual nothing happens. It says to push the resume switch, turn on the cruise and start the bike while holding the resume switch. It also says a green light should come on in the tach and go off. Once that happens push the resume again and hold to bring in the slack in the cable. The only thing is, no green light shows up in the tach and when I let the resume go and push it again no slack is taken up. BTW, the turn signals work.

HELP

Thanks

Old 07-14-2007 | 08:04 PM
Rick 547
Tourer
Default RE: FLHX Cruise cable lash procedure not working

Is the rocker crusie control switch on the fairing turned to on?

Old 07-14-2007 | 08:10 PM
swipter
|
Tourer

It is and the icon on the tach comes on when you turn it on.

Old 07-14-2007 | 08:43 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member

Make sure your front brake switch is working properly. I was having the same trouble and found out the front brake switch wasn't working properly and the cruise thought the brake was on. As soon as I fixed that everything worked just as it is supposed to.

Old 07-14-2007 | 10:05 PM
swipter
|
Tourer

How do you know if your front brake switch is working properly? It goes on when it is supposed in the garage. I have another question. I was reading the throttle cable adjustment for bikes with cruise and the talk about the idle cable having a switch on it for when you roll it forward. Do the FLHX bikes have that same idle cable even though they didn't come with cruise. It seems it's purpose is to disengage the cruise. You also need an ohmmeter to check the idle cable operation with the cruise. Any other FLHX owners had to do that?

Thanks

Old 07-15-2007 | 12:46 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member

The other thing you should take a look at, if its not the break switch, is that the Throttle cables are adjusted properly, not by feel, but per the service manual.

Old 07-15-2007 | 01:50 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

I would dissassemble the right switch housing and look for a pinched wire--you may need to cut back some of the plastic sheath to get a good look, and check for a blown fuse.It's unlikely that you have a faulty cruise set/resume switch, and the fairing cap switch seems to be wired correctly since the switch light comes on and the tach light comes on.

Pinching a wire is very easy to do since the housings are such a tight fit with the audio and now cruise wiring inside.

Old 07-15-2007 | 07:11 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: swipter

How do you know if your front brake switch is working properly? It goes on when it is supposed in the garage. I have another question. I was reading the throttle cable adjustment for bikes with cruise and the talk about the idle cable having a switch on it for when you roll it forward. Do the FLHX bikes have that same idle cable even though they didn't come with cruise. It seems it's purpose is to disengage the cruise. You also need an ohmmeter to check the idle cable operation with the cruise. Any other FLHX owners had to do that?

Thanks
Yes the FLHX's do have that idle cable and switch. I did check mine when I installed the cruise.

Old 07-15-2007 | 07:53 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: swipter

Thanks
If your brake light stays on the switch is not engaged. I didn't even notice the brake light was on, luckily Renegade stopped by when I was working on getting everything setup and noticed the brake light was on and sure enough it was. We fixed that and bada bing the cruise control worked right away just like the instructions said.

Old 07-15-2007 | 01:13 PM
swipter
|
Tourer

Well the brake light doesn't stay on so I doubt that is the issue. I am going to take the housing apart one more time, cut back the plastic and look for a crimped wire. I will adjust the cables per the service manual except I don't have an ohmmeter. Guess I have to get one if I want to adjust them per the service manual with cruise section. It would be nice if it was a wire. When I push the resume for the lash procedure the green light comes on and goes off as the service manual says it should. Can it still be a pinched wire if that seems to be working? Now that I think if the set wire was pinched it would set. hope that is it. I can not tell if the lash is actually working. I do not hear any difference RPMs as the manual says the engine will do mark the cable at pressure. Thanks for all the help. If none of this works it is going to the dealer on Monday. I really didn't want to do that.

Quick Reply: FLHX Cruise cable lash procedure not working, FIXED