Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EITMS disabled. Will it hurt the engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior
Received 1,024 Likes on 502 Posts
Default EITMS disabled. Will it hurt the engine ?

I've started to dislike this feature. Where I'm in eastern WA its always 90+ days in summer. I like the idea of one cylinder shutting off to cool down the engine. But I really don't like it in real world experience. It just feels off. When I'm ready to go from stop and I gas it, feels like motor hesitates for a sec. I have read somewhere here someone commenting that it does not do that on M8 bikes. But anyways I'm not liking this feature and would like to disable it. Will it hurt my engine ?

Old 09-12-2019, 08:26 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

No it won't hurt a thing. They ran for years without them with no issues.

The following users liked this post:
South107 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 08:30 PM
99Birdman
Extreme HDF Member

Received 27,704 Likes on 9,179 Posts

Personally not a fan of HD's implementation but, it's there for a reason (they do not add build cost unless there is a return in warranty claims).

Put some money into good heat management (tune, fans, good oil cooler) and it won't kick on.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:32 PM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Mine is always off unless I think I may hit some traffic.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:05 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Birdman
Personally not a fan of HD's implementation but, it's there for a reason (they do not add build cost unless there is a return in warranty claims).

Put some money into good heat management (tune, fans, good oil cooler) and it won't kick on.
not entirely true. there are several parameters that have to be met for the eitms to kick on. they've changed those parameters in the past few years. one of them now is outside ambient air temp > 80°.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:35 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior
Received 1,024 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
not entirely true. there are several parameters that have to be met for the eitms to kick on. they've changed those parameters in the past few years. one of them now is outside ambient air temp > 80°.
Yup seems like it always kicks in when it’s over 80

Old 09-12-2019, 11:06 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

I’ve always had mine off. If it would hurt the engine to turn it off there wouldn’t be an option to do so. It’s for comfort. With a proper tune and no cat I don’t need it.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:06 AM
99Birdman
Extreme HDF Member

Received 27,704 Likes on 9,179 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
I agree there are parameters for it to kick in. Not sure what part of my post you believe is not true.

HD went to the expense of incorporating it for a reason (regardless of the parameters or whatever).. If you don't like their approach to heat management, it would seem prudent to have some other approach before totally disabling theirs. However, it's up to each owner to do what they with their bike.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:25 AM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 5,814 Likes on 2,379 Posts

When you get stopped at that one stop light in Omak........

I have had it disabled since my bike was new in April, in Vegas, where it's pretty hot most of the summer. It's not an issue, and won't hurt anything. I believe if you look in your owners manual, it expressly states it's a rider comfort feature.

The following users liked this post:
plongson (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 09:18 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Birdman
I agree there are parameters for it to kick in. Not sure what part of my post you believe is not true.

HD went to the expense of incorporating it for a reason (regardless of the parameters or whatever).. If you don't like their approach to heat management, it would seem prudent to have some other approach before totally disabling theirs. However, it's up to each owner to do what they with their bike.

this part: 'put some good money into heat management and it won't kick on'

unless you can somehow make the ambient air temp less than 80°, then it's gonna kick on. i do agree that it is a good idea to have some kind of approach to heat management though, if not for the bike, definitely for the rider.

Quick Reply: EITMS disabled. Will it hurt the engine ?