Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baffle wrap . to wrap or not to wrap ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 10:06 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts
Default Baffle wrap . to wrap or not to wrap ?

Last spring , I gutted a set of cvo muffler's and inserted a set of crusher maverick baffles . I tried them without using any baffle wrap and I ended up loving the sound .

After talking with some friends , I was told that by wrapping the baffle's , I would benefit my engine's performance by increasing back pressure , torque etc thus improving my tune . I do know that if I add wrap it would deepen the tone and decrease the volume . Not so sure about the other benefits .

My only question here is , Does wrapping the baffle actually do more than just change the sound of the exhaust note . Would there be more of a benefit to add baffle wrap to my exhaust .

I'm running a Arlen Ness stage 1 air cleaner , V&H True Duels and an FP3 . It runs like a dream and it has all the power I need to enjoy every mile I travel . I'm just asking out of curiosity .

Here are the baffle's I've installed for reference sake . Of course I had to modify them to fit .

I'm off to take advantage of a nice sunny day , but will be back later .... Enjoy the day !

Old 09-02-2019, 11:05 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

One of my baffle wrappings blew out... (aftermarket mufflers). While I was deciding what different brand to buy I noticed that I got mild popping on decel and the pipe without the baffle yellowed.

The following users liked this post:
MyFavRk (09-03-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 12:28 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

I decided for the heck of it , I'm going to purchase some baffle wrap and install it , should only take about a 1/2 hr to get it done . I'm leaving on a short trip Wed so it'll give me a chance to see if there is any difference in performance . I expect the exhaust note to be deeper and a bit quieter , which should make anyone riding behind me a little happier .

I did notice a tiny bit a popping on decel , which never really bothered me at all , but if adding the baffle wrap helps get rid of it , that would only be a bonus .

Old 09-02-2019, 08:11 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey MFR, I would like to know what kind of wrap and where you bought it. I need to re wrap my baffles. TIA...

Trucky911

Old 09-02-2019, 08:28 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

There's a local dealer here that specializes in dirt bikes , not sure what brand name they use but they sell it in pkg's . I usually buy 2 and that's enough to get the job done . I will be heading down there tomorrow morning to pick some up , so I can update on the type I use .

Old 09-02-2019, 08:47 PM
Bafflingbs
Stellar HDF Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Shouldn’t be a difference in performance. A 2 &1/4” baffle, has the same opening, no matter wrapped or not. It’s really a misconception that you need back pressure. What you really need, is the escaping gasses, going as fast as they can. Too big, the velocity slows, too small and it’s like you put a cork in it. All the wrap does, is deaden the sound

MyFavRk (09-03-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 09:44 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts

FYI, dirt bikes run and perform better with the baffles wrapped.

MyFavRk (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 06:39 AM
caulk04
Road Master
Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts

I dunno about performance changes, but I'm awaiting some 'ceramic' matting to wrap my Rinehart cores. I've got $20 in two 1/2"x12x24 sheets. Already have some stainless zipties to attach it.

My hope is to just slightly deepen the tone and take a tiny bit of bark out of it.

MyFavRk (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 08:02 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
Shouldn’t be a difference in performance. A 2 &1/4” baffle, has the same opening, no matter wrapped or not. It’s really a misconception that you need back pressure. What you really need, is the escaping gasses, going as fast as they can. Too big, the velocity slows, too small and it’s like you put a cork in it. All the wrap does, is deaden the sound
Your theory makes perfect sense to me , can't see any performance increase in adding wrap .

The dirt bike wrap I use is pretty tough , and is quite dense at 1/2" . I will post the type after I pick it up . Using stainless wires ties is an excellent idea , I've been using a roll of steel wire , the kind you would use for tying rebar for concrete work . I first tape it and then use wire to hold it in place after the tape burns off .

If anything , wrapping my baffles today should get rid of the slight popping I have , but I will end up sacrificing some volume . The baffle's I'm using are a Sound reduction baffle from Kuryakyn which keep the bike pretty tame and not so deafening while I ride , so I may end up going with a bit larger baffle in time to regain my volume .

Old 09-03-2019, 09:35 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Trucky911
Hey MFR, I would like to know what kind of wrap and where you bought it. I need to re wrap my baffles. TIA...

Trucky911
I recently wrapped my replacement Rhinehart high flow performance baffles with a ceramic high heat insulation found on eBay. It comes from seller in two sheets measuring 1X 12 X 24. Cost was $18.00. Actually only needed one sheet splitting it in half was plenty. The sound after was a much deeper tone. Didn’t notice much performance change.

PM me if you like. For the shipping I’ll send you the extra sheet I have left.

ultraglide12 (09-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Baffle wrap . to wrap or not to wrap ?