Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To buy or not...Street Glide Opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005 | 08:13 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: To buy or not...Street Glide Opinions??

Trex,

My dealer is using the Race Tuner instead of the PCIII on the 06 bikes. It is much easier to get them tuned correctly (especially w/true duals). A little more money but worth every penny.

Terry

Old 10-30-2005 | 12:54 AM
trex_47e
|
Cruiser

I have pulled the trigger and have put money down on a Pearl Black Street Glide, EFI, Lace wheels. Going to go with the Race Tunner, and Rineharts True Duals, stage 1 kit, chrome front end, and 1 1/4 handle bars, and chrome switches.

Will post pics when I am done personalizing over the winter.

Old 10-30-2005 | 02:14 PM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master

Congrats, you wont regret it.

KB

Old 10-30-2005 | 06:24 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Street Glides are great bikes, and HD's hottest thing right now. You can't go wrong.

Here is a thought however, If you get a Classic, you will probably spend about the same money, if not a little less, and it costs a lot less to strip a Classic to Street Glide configuration that it will to bring the Street glide up to what the Classic has to offer. The tour pac is going to run you near 1,000, while the kit to make the tour pac on a Classic quick detach is about 200.00

Just a thought, but since you have decided to go with the Street Glide, you will not be disappointed. Congratulations and have fun.

Regards,

Bill

Old 10-31-2005 | 03:37 AM
wild1
Cruiser

You will like it. If I had to give up my Ultra for another bike right now that would be the one.

Old 10-31-2005 | 09:41 PM
trex_47e
|
Cruiser

I hope to pick up the bike by Thursday. I am waiting to have the pipes installed, and swap out the wheels.

It's going to be an early Christmas this year....

Old 11-01-2005 | 10:53 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member

In my opinion a Street Glide is a stripped down Electra Glide for more money. Throwing in a couple of extra's that don't come standard on an Electra Glide. I feel you can build your own PERSONALIZED version for less money. Sell the take off's from the standard [such as light bar,crash bars etc.] on e-bay and use money to add radio and your own personalized touchs. Most people don't like the Harley's mushy ride with o.e. shocks and you most likely wont either. Using Progressives is usually a better choice on lowering suspension. An added benefitt is that most standards cost about three grand less to start with. Again I feel you could end up with your own version for less money and have a big bore installed......but again to each their own...it's your money.

Old 11-02-2005 | 11:00 PM
trex_47e
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: jeepster09

In my opinion a Street Glide is a stripped down Electra Glide for more money. Throwing in a couple of extra's that don't come standard on an Electra Glide. I feel you can build your own PERSONALIZED version for less money. Sell the take off's from the standard [such as light bar,crash bars etc.] on e-bay and use money to add radio and your own personalized touchs. Most people don't like the Harley's mushy ride with o.e. shocks and you most likely wont either. Using Progressives is usually a better choice on lowering suspension. An added benefitt is that most standards cost about three grand less to start with. Again I feel you could end up with your own version for less money and have a big bore installed......but again to each their own...it's your money.

That all may be true, however I like the look of the stripped down fender and bullet blinkers of the Street Glide. That is why HD makes different bikes, to each his own.

Old 11-02-2005 | 11:11 PM
jdag
Tourer

There really are some significant differences in the bikes, and getting the SG look from an Ultra or Standard will be more costly than you might 1st think. I ran the numbers.

Things like the bullet lights and plain fenders, both of which are significant to me, would be hundreds to change. The plain tank, footboards, pegs, etc. Many more hundreds.

I am not trying to justify my purchase. I just believe that the cost of modifying can sometimes be overlooked or minimized.

Old 11-02-2005 | 11:39 PM
trex_47e
|
Cruiser

I'll stick with the simple answer. I liked it, so I bought it. I think it's a great looking bike.

When I get done, it will look even better. Looking at getting a ghost flame paint job.

Quick Reply: To buy or not...Street Glide Opinions??