Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:13 AM
HD4Sal
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Noise

Wondering if anyone has any ideas. The noise from the front brakes on my "07" Road King Classic is driving me out of my mind! I know that some minor friction noise from the pads against the rotors may be normal but I can here the "scraping noise at 35 mph! The other day I was riding in bumper to bumper traffic and in the lane next to me was a "89" gold wing and I was the one making all the noise!! took it to the dealer once, then again the other day for the 1000 mile service and told them to fix the front brakes, both times I got the same response" that noise is normal" Here's the thing since buying the bike I've had the service department change the rims from stock to the chrome profile rims, then had the front end changed out to a chrome one, so the front assembly has been removed and reinstalled twice. this noise is constant, when I give the lever a little squeeze it stops. Any ideas, I'm doing a cross country ride next month and know this noise will just ruin the trip. Thanks

Old 07-13-2007, 11:18 AM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Front Brake Noise

I have read another thread on this issue on the forum. They say to swap rotors from one side to the other. Do a search for it and I am sure you will find it. If I find it before you, I will post the link.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Kahuna
Road Master

Get floating rotors! They are awesome! No more noise (of any kind)

ORIGINAL: HD4Sal

Wondering if anyone has any ideas. The noise from the front brakes on my "07" Road King Classic is driving me out of my mind! I know that some minor friction noise from the pads against the rotors may be normal but I can here the "scraping noise at 35 mph! The other day I was riding in bumper to bumper traffic and in the lane next to me was a "89" gold wing and I was the one making all the noise!! took it to the dealer once, then again the other day for the 1000 mile service and told them to fix the front brakes, both times I got the same response" that noise is normal" Here's the thing since buying the bike I've had the service department change the rims from stock to the chrome profile rims, then had the front end changed out to a chrome one, so the front assembly has been removed and reinstalled twice. this noise is constant, when I give the lever a little squeeze it stops. Any ideas, I'm doing a cross country ride next month and know this noise will just ruin the trip. Thanks

Old 07-13-2007, 11:51 AM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Kahuna

Get floating rotors! They are awesome! No more noise (of any kind)

ORIGINAL: HD4Sal

Ditto!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:55 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The noise comes from the high metal content of the OEM pads. Swapping to EBC Kevlars will get rid of the noise. The bonus is that they are only 19 bucks a set compared to 35 for the OEM pads. I have been running them for about 60k miles.